Album cover: Li(f)e

Sage Francis Bio

"All great truths begin as blasphemies," proclaimed the fiery playwright George Bernard Shaw. It's a sentiment that can be applied exponentially to the works of rapper Sage Francis and his exhilarating new album Li(f)e. Francis has never been afraid to provoke. As a result he is a sometimes polarizing and increasingly important figure in modern music. Adored by many, reviled by a few but never ignored and always essential, Sage Francis has emerged as the reigning agent provocateur of hip hop. Read more

LI(F)E BLOG

VIDEO for “The Best of Times”

The video was directed by Kyle Harbaugh. It was filmed by Hanu Brown-Eagle. Animation and fancy post-editing was done by Scott Reece.

This is the same team that did B. Dolan’s “Earthmovers” video. All praise is due.

19 Responses to “VIDEO for “The Best of Times””

1. Forest says:

This is the best hip-hop track I’ve heard since 2008. Keep it up Sage! Your art is very appreciated.

2. Andrei says:

This is a masterpiece for sure!

3. Brennan says:

Great video! Check out Sage’s expression around 4:18, intense stuff.

4. David McCusker says:

Just a truly fantastic song. This has been in my heavy rotation since the album came out. Thanks a lot.

5. You may want to meet me. I am the one that took it from you. Anywho take care loverlips.

6. Paul G. says:

damn, Sage this is really touching, and I can relate.
    you are definately on of the greatest hip hop artist around.
    Sorry for your loss dude. much love and respect
    your a true mc.

7. Brett says:

Why is the video gone?

8. Jim says:

Removed… ?

9. Troels says:

The video seems to have been DMCA’d…Maybe because Yann Tiersen is signed to Virgin/EMI records?

10. Troels says:

correction…
    its not because of Yann…more likely because of Sage is signed to Anti-/Epitaph…a label under WMG,

11. Santur says:

I want to see this :( How does blocking videos on YouTube benefit the record labels?

12. Paul says:

I was able to watch this video 5-6 times the first day I learned about it back on June 17th. Promptly have been linking it all around, recommending it to friends and family, and just absolutely in love with the song and the video. I started getting calls and emails coming in the the video wasn’t working from said friends and family and verified it myself.

I am very sorry for this turn of events, and hope that the video is once again posted soon. Not only is it a work of art, but I think its message right now is especially poignant. I do not see how shutting the video down, at this time especially, does anything but hurt the success of the artist, and thus the record company.

13. asshole says:

is that vid the alternative ending to “Lost”?

hehe – jokin… love it…

14. Mabus says:

Your the fucking bomb sage. Always influence me to step my game up. 1

15. 10TRUFUS says:

I heard you on lavern BBC6 Music on Tuesday andj ust stood still listening in my kitchen, moved, touched and utterly enthralled. Now having listened to the track half a dozen times here on your site, I am truly addicted and in love with this song and can’t wait to hear the rest of the album.

16. Shannon Giguere says:

this is amazing bro and was Rays pic in the coffin and if it was that would be ironic o.o and anyways awesome vid very touching :)

~ur step sis <3

17. Pete says:

sage, beautiful and simplistic music video. props to hanu-brown eagle. i felt like i was thrown into heaven for 5 minutes. keep staying true to you,
    -pete

18. Chris Pitts says:

Rarely do you find an artist who you hear for the very first time and never stop listening. I listened to the best of times and just watched the video. Its beyond anything made today by other artists and should get more love from mainstream media. But in a way Im glad it doesnt because in my small little world this music makes it seem a little bit better.

19. [...] 5) The video for “Best of Times” directed by Kyle Harbaugh! [...]