Album cover: Li(f)e

Sage Francis Bio

"All great truths begin as blasphemies," proclaimed the fiery playwright George Bernard Shaw. It's a sentiment that can be applied exponentially to the works of rapper Sage Francis and his exhilarating new album Li(f)e. Francis has never been afraid to provoke. As a result he is a sometimes polarizing and increasingly important figure in modern music. Adored by many, reviled by a few but never ignored and always essential, Sage Francis has emerged as the reigning agent provocateur of hip hop. Read more

LI(F)E BLOG

“Russia Today” TV interview

Here’s my interview with a television program called RT. It was an hour long interview which got chopped down to 9 minutes so you’ll notice some serious editing going on. According to the comments section of this youtube video it seems I’ve offended a lot of conspiracy theorist types. All apologies, comrades! In the future I will make sure to express how important it is to be dreadfully cynical at all times. ;-)

RT is an English speaking Russian network broadcasting in English to over 100 countries spread over five continents. That being said, enjoy the awkward editing and my awkwardness in general:

29 Responses to ““Russia Today” TV interview”

1. meg says:

love it! :]

2. Travis Iliades says:

The bit about over-saturation really hit me. I was introduced to music during the download frenzy, and haven’t bought very much of the music I’ve heard over the years. I’ve also fed my share of disposable garbage into the machine that is myspace amateur music.

That lady didn’t exactly seem to exude a relaxing kind of attitude ftr.

3. Samson says:

haha. i started laughing in the beginning when Sage said: “Thank you for talking to me.” it didn’t look that awkward, and I really liked it! =] “I watch it with my eyes.” LMAO

4. JackieTreehorn says:

Great interview!!! It was edited a bit akwardly… but I think she asked some really good questions.

5. Samson says:

Is that escape artist playing in the background?

and I like how you guys kinda touched on the subject of corporate power and how they effect “lame-stream” media. its all about money nowadays. and if you have it, you have the power. radio and tv dulls your senses and puts people under control. its a sad time in america.

6. Sami says:

One of my favorite parts to watch were the captions at the bottom…this is amazing!

7. cole says:

haha… “with my eyes”. good interview sir.

8. a thomas says:

that lady really prepared herself well fo this interview. I think she did a great job! so did you – kudos

9. schatz1984 says:

Nice interview sage, i agree with everything except the obama comment.

10. Sammovt says:

Awkwardly Edited but completely to the point. Well done!

11. shark says:

“its all a bunch of fail” “with my eyes”… lmao.

12. Artsy says:

That beats Desperate Housewives any day!
    I can predict a plot twist involving the obvious attraction between RT and Mr. Francis. Pringles anyone?

13. taraberry says:

enjoyed the interview. my philosophy on stealing music, is based on a scale of respect i have for that artist. if i really respect the artist i will definitely buy the album (not to mention you get the album artwork too which i love) but if i only dig your one radio hit and there’s really not much else behind the artist but a catchy song… whelp….

14. Erin says:

I love the way you conducted yourself for this interview…intelligtent, informed yet humble.
    Way to represent and lay down knowledge not only for people watching this in other countries but to us, as Americans, as well.

15. EJR says:

You look almost gangsta in this interview

16. illy802 says:

yo man cant wait for u to b here in burlington vt at least 20 of us going yeah motherfucker!

17. Peon says:

“Mentioning politics and lyrics, is this something that turns people off? Should an artist be politically aware, and just more generally, do you think it’s a good idea to mix music and politics?”

“It usually makes really bad music.”

“You do it.”

“I do it great.”

That was awesome. Kudos, Sage.

18. Justin says:

How do you watch it?
    With my eyes?
    LMAO
    That is EXACTLY what I would have said!
    Like when a manager told me to watch my mouth and I said I couldn’t because it was attached to my face :)

19. delaney says:

obama? 50,000 troops sent in to afghanistan, wall street killing main street, trilateral commission and CFR scum bags still in administration. who could be comfortable with this shit? If it wasn’t for the internet how many of us would have even heard of sage francis,let alone have gone to his live shows.’ internet saturation’, stopping people ‘developing as an artist’ what happened to punk rock?

20. delaney says:

apologies for fiery rhetoric, didn’t read sages blog at the top. ‘oops’ im a conspiracy theorist. Also sages knew album is very awesome.

21. Jarret says:

You’re dope. You’re right. Cleveland misses you. I download your shit but that is because of limited resources (in this city). The next option is mail but I’ve been burned too many times down that route (stolen ‘tihs’). On everything that’s vertical, where ever I see you next, I’m buying whatever you got at the merch box. If push comes to shove, I would give the shirt off my back, not just because I’m a fan, it’s off the strength of my respect for you as an individual

22. John Charles says:

Can’t wait for the Houston show, you were great last time you were in town. No wait, I won’t be spending my money to see you again since you don’t like “conspiracy theorists.”

You next album should be called alienating your audience. Real smart.

What constitutes a “conspiracy theorist?” Someone who doesn’t believe the government 90 percent of the time? 10 percent of the time? Someone who doesn’t believe FoxNews? MSNBC?

How dare you attack people who think critically and then put up some condencending comment about it.

You sound very ignorant babbling like your opinion matters. You wrote a couple of the best tracking of the genre, but don’t get confused walking around talking like you are Lar Ulrich with an over estimated sense of self worth.

It is insulting to go on a show such as Russia Today and make those kinds of comments when the Russians have a different world view. What is conspiracy theory over here is openly discussed in Russia. After living under the oligarchs bankrolled by Western elites, they know something about tyranny at the hands of a shadowy elite.

23. Levro says:

Just curious on why before you performed I was a zero, you made it seem like you were making it on the spot?

24. Marc Hamoud says:

Conspiracy theories…

To me, conspiracy theorists exhibits the same danger signals as radical religious people or overtly ideological fixated people. It is the danger of fitting all events, news or statements into a premade scheme of perception. A scheme that is almost untouchable, because turning radical/conspiracist/fundamentalist is a decision rather than a universal logic.

As Sage puts it in the interview: When you actually listen to conversations, different news streams, read blogs etc. You end up getting an overview of all those different schemes of perception out there.
    And if you start out with deciding not to fully believe any of these schemes of perception, you are actually capable to form your very own take on the world. With maybe the best stuff from each scheme.

Sage Francis is an idealist. He calls for certain values or feelings rather than a simple and almost mechanical set of societal logic.

This is not my native tongue, sorry for the grammatic errors.

25. Sage Francis says:

To the person suggesting that I made it look like “I Was Zero” was performed on the spot…that’s because it was. I didn’t expect to perform for the interviewer. It was very awkward and I had no idea what to do, so I figured I’d just recite whatever song I had memorized at the moment. Which was, as you know now, “I Was Zero.” Oh, plus it was completely freestyled. I then went back in time and recorded it for my album because I liked it so much.

26. IUnnamed says:

It saddened me to hear that makeshift patriot was misconstrued to be a war anthem.

27. [...] My incredibly awkward interview with Russia Today (broadcast worldwide.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oISeHAQyb3w&feature=player_embedded Welp, that’s it for now. There are more interviews and more details available at http://www.SageFrancis.net If any of these links entertained you then be a pal and entertain your friends by sharing them! Best wishes, Uncle Frank http://www.twitter.com/SageFrancisSFR http://www.facebook.com/SageFrancis [...]

28. Shannon G says:

You are the reason why I became aware to politics. Never gave a shit until your music came into my life, becasue as you said, you do it well :)

29. Jesse says:

Ironically sage mentions how media edits to warps things to for their own purpose, then the editor of the interview demonstrates how it is done.