Album cover: Li(f)e

Sage Francis Bio

"All great truths begin as blasphemies," proclaimed the fiery playwright George Bernard Shaw. It's a sentiment that can be applied exponentially to the works of rapper Sage Francis and his exhilarating new album Li(f)e. Francis has never been afraid to provoke. As a result he is a sometimes polarizing and increasingly important figure in modern music. Adored by many, reviled by a few but never ignored and always essential, Sage Francis has emerged as the reigning agent provocateur of hip hop. Read more

LI(F)E BLOG

“Mainstream vs Underground Hip-Hop” – What say you?

Here’s a new video interview I did with www.Andpop.com where we discuss, of all things, mainstream hiphop. The interviewers seemed surprised by my answers to their questions (their reactions aren’t included in this video) but maybe that’s because I was focusing more on production value rather than lyrical content. Perhaps you disagree with me. I’d love to hear what you think about mainstream vs underground hiphop as a lot of things have changes over the past 10 years.

I’m about to fly to the Czech Republic to perform at the Kemp Festival and then I go to Russia to perform 2 more shows. The Russian flyer is a favorite of mine.

Lastly, for anyone who is interested in silkscreened posters, we’ve added a few more to our catalog over at Strange Famous Records. A couple of these photos were dragged out of the old tour archives and there are very few left.

Fuck Clear Channel Tour, 2004

12 Responses to ““Mainstream vs Underground Hip-Hop” – What say you?”

1. Ted says:

Great little interview Sage, i think it is kind of sad that, cus mainstream hiphop is just “hiphop” to like the majority of the people. And you said at the end, if you mention hiphop to some random person on the street, they will not think of you, or other more independent artists – but like 50 cent or some other whack rapper, it WOULD be nice if socially aware/intellectual hiphop got more cred and recognition amongst people.

2. Joshua Caleb says:

I think the market is saturated right now, and the underground has no way of reaching the masses, but once it reaches the masses its no longer underground. I also think its almost like Journalism nowadays anybody can do it.. Anybody can be a writer, anybody can give their two cents and call themselves a journalist, or poet, or musician. Only a select really stand out. And will be remembered in 20 years

I think the best way for the indie hip hop artist to promote is word of mouth. Thats how I discovered you Sage, and a whole roster of other great acts.

3. invertedquestionmark says:

I’d say that mainstream hip-hop focuses on form and not content because this is easier and cheaper to be reproduced by an industry. Like it or not, mainstream music is governed by the industry logic of cutting production costs is the most important thing. Recently I read a rather nice piece about the music industry’s practices, which covered most of the points I would have made and added even more. Check it out if you’re interested: http://blogs.chron.com/brokenrecord/2008/07/four_mistakes_that_killed_the.html

I really likes the comparison between mainstream hip-hop and action movies, especially because there are a lot of bad action movies and some decent ones. However, whether and why do people like them is topic for a really long discussion. A French sociologist called Pierre Bourdieu talks about what he calls “cultural capital” and how it is developed and obtained. Basically, his view is that taste is something that is not subjective but is dependent on our background. This would explain why I like classical music (my parents) and hardcore punk (my friends). But then there are also ways in which you could expand this capital on your own. In my case this would be internet piracy, which allowed me to listen to a lot more stuff than I could have ever afforded and to gradually stumble upon artists like you or Scroobius Pip and so on. The conclusion is that those who listen to, say, mainstream hip-hop don’t necessary “like” it but don’t have the background knowledge to expand their taste and are left with what is being offered – just like kids usually turn out to support that same political party as their parents, for example.

Hope this makes any sense at all… It’s a really complex issue and it’s impossible to explain it in just one paragraph.

4. [...] My interview with AndPop.com where my comments on Underground Vs. Mainstream created a lengthy discu…n at the SFR [...]

5. Hurray for this piece. You are my complete idol.

6. tera hacks says:

Lol, your blogroll links are kinda mesed up :P (just sayin’)

7. Sage Francis says:

Hmmm. I don’t really know what a blogroll is. What does that mean and do you have a suggestion on what I should do?

8. There is a great issue which arises every time you go manufacturer abercrombie shopping for a young boy that is the issue of buying clothes. The clothes of young boys who are at their growing age abercrombie outlet are very difficult to buy. It is because of the rapid change in the height abercrombie and fitch outlet uk and weight of these boys or the careless usage of clothes. The clothes do not last long and the parents feel abercrombie london that their money has totally wasted. They avoid buying many clothes for their young boys, but this is not the solution.

When it comes to clothes that can last long and look good too, one should turn to the abercrombie and fitch kids Abercrombie bomber jacket collection of the Abercrombie and Fitch fashion retailers. A bomber jacket never ******* loses its style and excellence and if it is an Abercrombie bomber jacket then abercrombie and fitch kids it will last longer than you think. It is durable and no matter how much carelessly your son uses this jacket, the fine quality of this jacket ******* will be very difficult to fade away. These jackets come in leather and often fur lined. These types of jackets are very common in young boys and look quite presentable.

Now if someone wants to know what abercrombie fitch male models may suit a young man then the answer to this question is Abercrombie coat. Abercrombie coat is abercrombie and fitch discount a stylish and decent option for all young men. As coats always remain in fashion and gives one a sober and decent look it the best choice for any man abercrombie and fitch catalogue who reflect these qualities. A winter wardrobe for a man seems incomplete without a coat. A coat abercrombie and fitch kids should own or reflect some qualities that are very important and in fact necessary.

The first matter is the abercromibe and fitch sale quality of the material used in manufacturing the coat should be fine and abercrombie and fitch jeans genuine. Secondly, the coat should provide warmth to the one wearing it as it is the most basic requirement of any coat. It should be comfortable at wearing and carrying. The coat wholesale abercrombie should be durable and must have long life because no one wants to keep buying coats every abercrombie male models other day. All these qualities can easily be found in the Abercrombie coat. The collection of coats by Abercrombie and Fitch possess all these abercrombie n fitch london qualities with the blend of style and decency, to enhance your personality and make you look sober and decent.

9. Jay Keller says:

as long as you continue to Deny Jesus and his father God, you will not survive long, reaching more people and getting people to hear about your messed up mind is going to kill you, you won’t live long, and then you will be punished forever. Have fun with that….

10. Sage Francis says:

I’m shaking in my tortured ghost boots already.

11. AvidListener says: