Search
Register
what % of Our Brains do we Actually Use?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Hopscotch Whiskey

what % of Our Brains do we Actually Use?  Reply with quote  

I read an article recently that said we use 100%. Apparently, the 10% stat is just a myth used by psychics and other "paranormal pushers" to explain where that higher level of thought and energy etc., comes from. I have always been interested in telekinesis/psychokinesis and telepathy and all that, but I have yet to start training myself, which I still plan on doing because I am still young. Right now, my thoughts are scattered. Bottom line, I think that article is negative and somewhat bullshit and I want some input. I do not believe we are using our minds full potential or even our brains full potential.

heres a link to the article. http://snopes.com (under science)
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 3:12 pm

SneepSnopDotCom
COCKRING WRAITH

Well, they can debunk that all they want... the truth is that we don't know what is going on. We aren't even sure WHY the human body ages as it does....

The bottom line is this: regardless of percent, the average person is capable of much more.... look at geniuses... if we are using 100%... then what are they using? 100% also? If so, then maybe this percent talk is irrelevant and it comes down to something else... like brain cell count or something, I dunno?

We are definitely not living up to our potential.

One thing that intrigues me is how evolution works.... if a lizard ends up underground for millions of years, it turns into the snake, so it can burrow better.... moles went blind cuz they were underground.... whatever.... think of this... we have only been exercising our brains intellectually for what, a few thousand years.. and maybe a few hundred years as far as really pushing our brains.... so who is to say our brains won't evolve... and become better the more we keep relying on them more than our physicality.... it seems that whatever helps us survive is then magnified by evolution.... I think we are at the point where the smartest survive more so than the strongest... so yeah. So what is my point, i dunno... I'm stupid.
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:48 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
darnymarfy

Last edited by darnymarfy on Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:52 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I can't understand the theory that humans use 100% of their brains.

that doesn't seem right at all.
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:24 am
darnymarfy

Last edited by darnymarfy on Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:39 am
molasses

brain power  Reply with quote  

I've heard that we use 100%, which makes perfect sense to me. The brain is an organ, there is no other organ in the body that operates at less than 100%, so why would our brains, especially considering it's responsible for pretty much everything going on in the body.
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:08 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Our stomach works when we supply it with food. That's not 100% of the time.

Consider how often we feed our brain....all parts of the brain.

As far as I'm concerned, there are parts of the brain that hardly ever get fed. Those parts of the brain will eventually fall off and crumble down the inside of your neck
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:47 am
argot

yes  Reply with quote  

The parts of our brain that are not being used are the parts of our brain that we could benefit from the most.
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:30 am
Path

Sage Francis wrote:
Our stomach works when we supply it with food. That's not 100% of the time.

Consider how often we feed our brain....all parts of the brain.

As far as I'm concerned, there are parts of the brain that hardly ever get fed. Those parts of the brain will eventually fall off and crumble down the inside of your neck

hahah, nice visual.
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:30 am
Hopscotch Whiskey

We have forgotten how to access certain parts of our brain. I truly believe that. Telekinesis was used way way way back instintively as a form of survival. Its an ability I think we are all capable of but is dormant because we have not used it. Todays society has programmed us to be skeptical
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:57 am
brando

100%  Reply with quote  

Yo my sponge is just beginning to moisten. I am still absorbing everything and reataining it. Its like i walk through life doing research for a groundbreaking study.Every realationship is approched like the selection of books. Some get judged by the cover( for that I am sorry), some get picked up and I breifly examine them and then they are gone, some books never even cross my path( be that it is written in a different language,or is just not available to me) But the books that I enjoy the most are the books that make me laugh, make me cry, and make me feel like my research is worth while. When I am done with my trek through this unforgiving world, I will hand my data to my loved ones and ask them to decipher the words and my spirit will always be heard.thats my words.peace. brando........
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:53 pm
gerhupsom vanbone

geniuses are stupid  Reply with quote  

my dad did some carpentry work for some guy that people would call a genius,and the guy couldn't do simple things like shovel his driveway
maybe thats just him though
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 4:29 pm
Emphasis

^^^lol  Reply with quote  

my brain hurts...
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 4:38 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

he's a genius for having other people shovel his driveway
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:30 pm
Pizon

We do use all of our brain, but not all of it is used for thinking. The cerebrum is used for a variety of activities, primarily for thinking and processing information; the cerebellum controls muscle coordination; the pons relays impluses throughout the brain; and the medulla oblongata controls involuntary activities such as breathing.

Clearly, we do not use our entire brain for thinking, but the entire brain as a collective is used to control and monitor the activity of the rest of our body. The question then becomes, Do we utilize all that is available to us for thinking? I'd venture to say most likely not...no one lives up to their full potential, and as pointed out previously, some seem to be more successful than others.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:04 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next