Search
Register
Notice how rap has taken over pretty much every commercial?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Petrouchka Rasputin

Apparently I don't disagree with you, if all you are saying is that a snippet of a song in a commercial is less significant as a piece of art than the song would be in its entirety, in some other context. Would you agree that doing a commercial has no necessarily demeritous effect on that artist's catalogue of work?

Now I'm confused. If "selling out" doesn't mean that one is sacrificing the quality of one's music, why do some people make such a big deal of it?
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:46 pm
August Spies

Quote:

Would you agree that doing a commercial has no necessarily demeritous effect on that artist's catalogue of work?

well that is a hard question. Lets take the logic to the extreme. If a rap artist came out as a racist and a fascist would it degrade their work? perhaps it shouldn't though it inevitibly would in people's eyes... but at the very least it might make them an artist you would not want to support.
I am going to be less likely to lend my hard earned money to someone already raking it in from coke commericials than some struggling underground artist who is stiking to principals that I admire.

Quote:

If "selling out" doesn't mean that one is sacrificing the quality of one's music, why do some people make such a big deal of it?

well there are two kinds of selling out as someone said earlier. There is the normal use of the term, someone sacrificing the quality of their music in order to make it more platable to the masses etc... and there is someone who is kind of selling themselves, and their scene, out to corporations and such for advertisments and things.

Again I think there is a fine line being walked here... on one hand the artist is an individual makeing his/her own art. Shouldn't they be able to do what they want? yet at the same time these artists are part of something bigger.....
I dunno, I have never really heard hip hop people talk about "selling out" it seems like hip hop people WANT to sell out, as the whole goal is to make lots of money (for the scene in general), but if say a punk/hardcore person accuses a band of selling out it is because they are involved in something bigger. If a band jumps out of the punk/hardcore scene they are essentially abandoning the people that made them in the first place and if enough bands do it they kill the scene.

Let me tell you something, if history has shown us anything it is that the mainstream kills anything it touches. All life gets quickly sucked out of any sub culture that the mainstream decides is the next trend. Look at the history of 77 style punk, grunge, "alt-rock," or hip hop.

In my surely wrong, elitist and wacked out opinion hip hop is just now recovering from the blow that the mainstream society dealt it.... to me groups like anticon or def jux are roses springing from a corpse. But if all of these artists simply replace the artists on MTV it might look like a revolution for a second, but it won't be long at all before they just take their place on the throne.

c'est la vie.
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:33 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FoJaR

Spank Franklin wrote:
the real sellouts are the 90% of the people who wake up everyday and go to some job they'd never be at unless they were getting paid.

right on. which is why i want to be a college professor. sounds like so much fun.
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:50 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4