Search
Register
Notice how rap has taken over pretty much every commercial?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Machiavel

"i feel like ive gone beyond rockin for no bread / if you ever hear me sayin that shoot me in the head" - Brother Ali.

Anyway, doing a comercial for somone is kinda goofy, especially for somone like Coke, or Sprite or Dr Pepper or whatever. Who knows about this commercial mabey he used the barter system to get some stuff for doin the commercial. anyway.
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:56 am
Jesse

djrion wrote:
Define decent living. Was Brother Ali living all that terrible of a life? Was life so bad that he had, or worse yet, wanted to sell out to make money off of someone who probably doesn't give a fuck about his music, but wants to cater to a certain demographic market?

How bad does a person's life have to be before they would consider pursuing a bit of money to improve it? Money does not neccessarily trade on an even ethical plane with baby puppy blood.

Quote:

Please also explain to me how money (example selling your music for a radio commercial/snippet or whatever the fuck it was) expanded Brother Ali's musical creativity! How did this make his "Art" better?

So wait a second here - because a person makes some art, that person is SHACKLED from the moment of its genesis to their death to focus upon nothing but honing that art? If an artist pursues anything that does not directly enhance their ouevre, this is seen as something to hold against him!? It didn't make his ART better, smart guy, it greased the wheels of his EXISTANCE. You like someone's art, you want him to be able to (a) live and (b) devote as much time as possible to creating ir, right? Rather than working a 9 to 5 and not having the time for it?

Fucking brilliant.
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:09 am
Jesse

Oh yeah, and to address the original post - rap music is the dominant form of popular music in our culture. Why wouldn't it be in all the commercials?
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:25 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

do y ou people that are bitching about him 'selling out' get pissed when basket ball players get endorsments by shoe companys?
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:07 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

an even better example

when skaters get sponsered?
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:50 am
argot

Well.
I don't know guys.
When these artists are deliberately telling you that they are selling out.
And that they don't care about the music because they are making money.
Then you go out and still eat it up... you are supporting the whore.

I know nothing about this Ali situation.
And to a certain extent it's dope that artists are getting to do things like this.
As long as they are not abandoning what they supposedly are doing... art.

Art is creativity. Stemming from feeling. Not money.
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:58 am
Jesse

argot wrote:

Wrong dude. Art is not why, art is what.
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:02 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

Quote:

Art is creativity. Stemming from feeling. Not money

the way i look at it once you put your art up for sale<i.e. dropping an album,selling a painting,whateverit might be> it basicly becomes a job,yyou have to sell yourself more or less

i havent heard the commercial myself but imagine all the people that dont know who he is that are now asking ...because of the commercial

maybe he fucking shops\ed at marshall fields who really cares but damn
people get way to much into this shit

hes human
he needs the name thing as me and you to survive
and unfounatly thats $$$ more often then not
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:10 am
August Spies

Jesse wrote:
argot wrote:

Wrong dude. Art is not why, art is what.

totally wrong there.
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:19 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jesse

august spies wrote:
jesse wrote:
Art is not why , art is what .

totally wrong there.

I vehemently disagree!

I take strong issue with idealistic restrictions placed upon the very concept of art. It's like when people have a relationship that ends badly and declare that it was never love... bullshit, it just wan't what you wanted love to be.

Likewise, art is art independent of one's personal standards of what makes it worthwhile. There's art that sucks, art that's a waste of time, art that's meaningless and art that's useless. Of course there is - those are all personal estimations!

Where you make or present something, there is art. Art is in appreciation as well as intent. Art is a really, really simple thing. It can only be hampered by the imposition of standards for its mere existance.
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:27 am
August Spies

hahah can someone tell me what is wrong with this picture:

Quote:

Art is not why , art is what[...]
I take strong issue with idealistic restrictions placed upon the very concept of art. [...] Art is in appreciation as well as intent.

Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:33 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
August Spies

Quote:

because a person makes some art, that person is SHACKLED from the moment of its genesis to their death to focus upon nothing but honing that art

Jesse how you fareing against that straw man?
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:36 am
Jesse

I said "as well as", which is a little indistinct but I meant it to mean in an and/or sort of way rather than any sort of mutual requisite.

And the straw man's burning really nicely, but if you would kindly direct me towards the flesh man I'll deal with him as well.

Which is to say - so what you sayin'?
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:52 am
August Spies

well it doesnt' seem to me that you are really interested in rationally discussing this but here goes.

we are walking a fine line here. I think it is readily apparnent that whoring yourself out to corporations will ultimately degrad your art. You are forced to make sacrifices, etc... (yes even Brother Ali here is making artistic sacrifices, Brother Ali wrote a piece of art called a song. Yet only a clip of this total work can be used in a commerical, and only inconjunction with the ad etc...)

However, we do live in this capitalist culture and it is necessary to make many sacrifices to survive. However your attitude, if taken to the logical extreme, would say it is completely fine to totally whore yourself out to corporations... and of course maybe you do think it is fine.

I personally disagree and think I am pefectly qualified to say that a band like Fugazi who has real meaning beyond thier music and real principles (i.e. they dont' sell merchandise other than records, they don't play shows that cost more than 7 dollars, they remain on an independent record label) makes them superior artists on a certain level to someone like Puff Daddy.

I don't think anyone here is claiming: because a person makes some art, that person is SHACKLED from the moment of its genesis to their death to focus upon nothing but honing that art . Such an idea is absurd. But it is not absurd to say that a person should have some principles attached to their art if thye are going to be making ART (as opposed to just entertainment). Art for arts sake, not art for corporate sponserhips sake.
No one is claiming BA, or whoever, should spend every waking minute "honing their art," someone is saying they shouldn't use their art to get money through corporate sponsorships... this is a defensible position, even if you disagree with it. It all depends on your priority.
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:07 pm
August Spies

"the most beautiful poem is a brick hurled at a cops head" ~ paris 68 graffiti.
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:09 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next