Search
Register
What is up with hip hop vinyl?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

August Spies

Nightlight wrote:
How many punk vinyls come with an extra vinyl or 2 of instrumentals? I'd personally be way more interested in getting something like that with my purchase as opposed to some stickers. But then I've never bought a punk vinyl so...

i've never heard of a punk/metal/indierock album of instrumetnals (meaning the normal music minus the vocals).... although obviously there are lots of instrumental albums.

though it would be cool if hip hop sampled shit like that sometimes. I know an emcee in richmond who samples converge and zegota, but he hasn't dropped anything yet :(
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:12 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SeventyFive

Noise heads and Gary Numan put out the dopest vinyl.

And that's my word, Puzzle.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:26 pm
tom inhaler
me too!

Re: What is up with hip hop vinyl?  Reply with quote  

here's my question... why aren't double records set up "1/3 2/4" anymore??? let me explain..

i have a decent sized collection of old vinyl, and when i listen to any album that has two records, the first LP has side 1 and side 3, and the second LP has sides 2 and 4. that way, for those of us with two turntables, we can go straight from side 1 to side 2 without having to flip the record over. now i think this was originally for record players that flip the records over, but wouldn't it make more sense now, seeing as how a lot of people buying hip-hop records have two turntables? i hate having to flip over selling live water or personal journals... not because i'm lazy, but because it should be done differently.

inhaler/thecat
www.inhalerproductions.com
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:56 pm
Dee

SergOne wrote:
its on more than one lp for a reason, for fucking djs.....it sucks having all the tracks on one record, usually the sound sucks and its a bitch trying to drop the needle on that shit when its crammed with songs in a smokey nightclub and you got 20 dumb bitchs asking for in da club

Haha.

But who the hell is dropping "mass tune damper" in the club?!!
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:10 pm
Dee

Jesse: The underappreciated Reggie.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:23 pm
Jesse

Thanks Dee. However, unless I'm mistaken I am appreciate by Reggie, so it's okay. ^_^

--

August> You're right, it seems like a lot of punk acts are a lot more down for the ride than a lot of hip hop acts. I'll still attribute some of that to their being predominantly groups sharing resources and even ambitions, but it seems like it's also more of a scene thing. Then again, I live in Halifax. Our local acts produce a piece of wax like once a year (all told, not each). We have no local press and random sample's lucky friend notwithstanding, we never find a reasonable price on the stuff. So I can't even really compare the scenes except as a consumer of what's sold in our two new release record stores... and one of them is mostly house anyway.

Oh hey we are currently speaking on the web board of a VERY independant hip hop artist, however. I don't know if Sage has ever touched a six month tour, but if he pops his head in here I'm certain he can elucidate on his self-promoted escapades around the world... maybe Atmosphere's as well, since I understand they tour pretty relentlessly and in a DIY fashion.

Nightlight> How many hip hop vinyls come with an extra vinyl or 2 of instrumentals?

djdee> make no mistake, man, El-P went for triple wax to preserve sound quality, not for club DJs.

Then again, that is the b-side to the Deep Space 9mm 12"... but then again again, that shit's on clear blue vinyl. I think Def Jux is out to perplex the DJ.
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:24 am
barlow

When I made the Frenchkiss record, I got 1000 made up.

Out of that, I made not very much. The profit was in double figures.
Obviously I didn't make the thing to get rich, so I am not bitching about that.
I wanted to make a good lokking record from the start, with nice vinyl and a fancy cover, so I pretty much ruled out any profit when I started pricing this up.

The bit that crippled me was the shipping. It cost a fortune just to get them to the US from the Czech Republic, wiping out about 90% of what I was going to make :)
The shipping cost over double what they quoted, and when I moaned they said "well, that was just an estimate". I know better for next time!

If it wasn't for the fact that it was a Sage record, and it sold really quickly, I doubt I would have broken even on this.

I would also have liked to stick some extra shit in the covers, but as the records got shipped without me ever seeing them, I didnt have chance.

This will be better with the next one. I am going to drive to the Czech Rebublic to pick the next record up, so i can do what I want to them before they get sold. Might even get the covers made over here, and make them pretty unusual.

I like vinyl.
And curry.

Maybe I could make a record that smells of curry?
I think that is the way forward.

It is too early.

Sorry.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:06 am
maxamillion

Now this is a great example of people doing it for the love of the music instead of (like all the majors..) for the love of the dollar....

I'll support projects like this anyday!!!

Hey Barlow, if you ever need someone in the Netherlands to sell some of your stuff, I'm your man!!

Peace, Max
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:16 am
Jesse

Do you mind if I ask how much the frenchkiss record cost you to make, before and after shipping?

So they're all sold out, huh?
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:55 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3