Search
Register
What is up with hip hop vinyl?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

August Spies

What is up with hip hop vinyl?  Reply with quote  

As ive said plenty of times I am as much a punk/hardcore/indierock kid as a hip hop head, and I have been listenting to vinyl for a long time. I think its better on several levels which I won't get into here... but my question is, why is hip hop vinyl so uncool? Hip hop vinyl never does the cool things that punk/metal/indierock vinyl does on a regular basis. For example:

1. Punk/indierock vinyl often comes with tons of inserts or comes with magazines or big posters. You get to see the artwork much better and it makes the album feel more complete. I dont' own a single piece of hip hop vinyl with anything but standard inserts.

2. punk/indie vinyl quite often on crazy cool colors... swirls, splatters etc... I only own two pieces of hip hop vinyl that are colored (Jay z and Sage Francis [good looking out on that one sage])

3. punk vinyl almost always has something etched into the blank space between the label and the end of the grooves. Normally thye are just funny phrase or somethings jokes. It isn't a big deal, but it is such a nice touch. I have never noticed hip hop vinyl do this.

4. punk/indie vinyl is often on cool formats like 8"s or 10"s, or they will be picture discs, and even better it is sometimes shaped into skulls or sawblades or whatever. I have seen cLOUDDEAD 10"s and that is it.

5. punk/indie/metal vinyl somtimes has simply crazy shit going on... images etched into one side of the vinyl, or will have the grooves play backwards etc... I have never seen hip hop vinyl do this.

so what is the deal? Why am I stuck with CD booklets inside my Lps? Why does every record have a white lp holder sleeve? Where is the aesthetics?
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:42 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
the Wiper

actually, this is a good question.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:44 pm
August Spies

yeah it is!

and before someone complains that I dont' know the work involved in this, I do run a record label and made our 10" come on flame colored vinyl! (although really it turned out more like a creamsicle)
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:45 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
the Wiper

i'm less interested in that, and more interested why you can't get an extra insert, or a poster, or a fucking sticker or sumthin...
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:46 pm
SergOne

well I've seen a number of picture discs and colored vinyl for hiphop records......also 10's....as for 8's well no, so you got me there...........but yeah I guess punk kids do it more cause shits rare for hiphop....and you're right about the inserts...but as for why, well who knows hiphoppers are cheapasses I guess
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:01 am
August Spies

SergOne wrote:
well I've seen a number of picture discs and colored vinyl for hiphop records......also 10's....as for 8's well no, so you got me there...........but yeah I guess punk kids do it more cause shits rare for hiphop....and you're right about the inserts...but as for why, well who knows hiphoppers are cheapasses I guess

Oh shit I forgot to say the worst part!
Hip hop vinyl is twice (literaly) as expensive as most punk/indie vinyl. If i'm going to be paying that much why can't I get a fucking poster?

and also why does hip hop vinyl, tehse days at least, need to be on multiple LPs? There is no reason for El-ps "fantastic damage" to be on three LPs.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:05 am
the Wiper

^^^

so he can charge you more.

duuuuh!
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:11 am
SergOne

its on more than one lp for a reason, for fucking djs.....it sucks having all the tracks on one record, usually the sound sucks and its a bitch trying to drop the needle on that shit when its crammed with songs in a smokey nightclub and you got 20 dumb bitchs asking for in da club
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:16 am
klausmorgan

Betting odds: 2-1 says I'm talking out of my ass in the following post.

The reason Hip Hop vinyl is more expensive with less add-ons is that it sells itself anyway. Unlike indie/metal/punk/etc. (or for that matter, ANY other genre except electronica), vinyl is already a desirable commodity in the hip-hop market. Why? Because DJs pretty much have to play songs on vinyl if they want to do much of anything with them other than press play.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:26 am
futuristxen

word to this whole thread. I primarily buy hiphop vinyl, and I would appreciate something cool. I flipped out when I saw what Sage did with the Makeshift Patriot Ep. That was great. I show all my non-record player owning friends that all the time.

And the whole thing about putting it out on so many...why does Fantastic Damage need to be made accessible for club play?

What the fuck is up with two songs on a side? I'm listening to Bob Dylan's blood on the tracks right now...the whole fucking album is one 1 lp. I hate seeing artists put 2 songs on a side. I'd rather they cram those 2 songs on another side and if you end up with a blank side, draw some shit on it.

I've got Ugly Cassanova on vinyl and it is a record and a half long. They just have some weird designs on the back(this is in addition to a nift looking insert).

And while we're complaining...why the fuck is def jux so fucking cheap?
Why can anticon put out their shit with lyrics, neat packaging, and all of that--when Def Jux can't be bothered for more than a little one page insert--that MIGHT have the tracklisting on it. It's not like they don't have the money. You gonna tell me Anticon has more money for their releases? bullshit.

Greedy fucking bastards. Put some goddamn Aesop Rock lyrics in the next album. Or have him explain the songs, like he does on his mush release.

I don't know. When an artist goes the extra mile like Sage does on his professional releases, it makes me, the fan, feel loved.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:14 am
August Spies

Serg: but dont' most djs use singles not full LPs for playing clubs?

klausmorgan: I don't know about that vinyl is pretty popular in the punk/indie scene. In fact, a fair amount of hardcore music only comes out on vinyl (or a band will put out a bunch of vinyl and later on will complie that onto a CD)

futurist: I hear you about def jux... though I will say the el-p album is fucking bueatiful with is triple gatefold goodness.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:16 am
TheRutherglenRebel

Some good points on this thread. I dunno, I guess I don't really think too much about how my vinyl is presented simply because I'm just happy enough to get it in the first place!

The vast majority of LPs I buy tend to have the plain white paper inner sleeves, and as a result I hardly ever know the names of tracks on them. The only way I really recognise them is by which side they're on, and how many tracks in.

Having an album split over two (or even three) records is a pain in the ass when you just want to listen to it at home while you're doing something else, but its a godsend for scratching (esp. with my lovely new Shure carts!) and, to these ears at least, there's often a noticeable difference in sound quality.

I guess I just buy too many records to really give a damn about sleeve art or inserts or whatever anymore, as I never find myself just sitting around reading stuff off sleeves. Perhaps I would if there was something to read on 'em...

Sticking the CD insert into a record sleeve sucks though, cos the fucker usually falls out by the time you get home.

Anyway, those records split into three? The Brother Ali and El-P albums were OK, because they all open the same way, but I hate the sleeve for Endtroducing... (but just the sleeve!) as it opens in a stupid fold-out kind of way. Records that I really really like I tend to put in PVC sleeves to protect the cover, but Endtroducing just fucks that right up. Gee thanks, Shadow!
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:30 am
td3

punk artists dont do it for the profit

hiphop artists do

td3
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:34 am
August Spies

my copy of endtroducing doesn't do that? hmm
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am
Random Sample

Here are reasons why

1. vynil is exspensive. When I did my groups 12" it cost a decent amount of money and to get all of that shit done like colors and inserts and alll of that shit cost bank. The turnaround on vynil is very slim so you are basically wasting money. You don't make significant money on vynil, unless you are moving a lot of units.

2. Colored vynil and weird formats are not good for dj's. Being a dj, I can't stand when I get colored vynil. you can't see the grooves at all. and it is a pain in the ass. Colored vynil + dark room = shitty. I don't see many punk/indie/hard core dj's rocking in a club.

3. 10" vynil is more exspensive than 12" vynil. Why pay more for less?

4. I am down with addind maybe an insert or sticker or something like that, but that just increases the price of the product that you are making no money on as it is anyways. You have to make the price of vynil cheap so you can sell more units, and adding all of this makes the price go up so it is harder to move units.

5. As much as I hate to say it, but vynil is dying slowly. And no one cares about it as much as they used to. Back in the day when you wanted to hear a song and you had to buy it on vynil. Now you just download it, you don't have to buy vynil now.

futuristxen the less tracks on a side the higher the quality. The grooves are spaced out more and allows for better sound quality. el - p does that to get higher quality.

I think def jux has the illest packagin out. Their shit is always on point. Why does an artist have to explain his art to someone. Figure it out by listening to it.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:48 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next