Search
Register
Is all this punk rock stuff really scaring y'all?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Awww –šmn

straight outta hot topic  Reply with quote  

Quote:

look I dont' like epitaph much cause they have watered down boring punk, in my book at least, but give me a break. Punk fans are very open to different types of music. If epitaph can have the Locust and Tom Waits on their label Sage Francis will be no big deal at all.

^what he said.

p.s. the word punk is such a generic and broad word. it's very vague to me, but it seems like a lot of folks on here have one perspective and one image of what "punk rock" sounds and looks like. like studded belts and mosh pits blah blah. well i saw some christian band on the tv for some billy graham ass arena event and they were sporting mesh hats and piercings and shit. and i thought they were really lame.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:51 pm
August Spies

awww damn wrote:
^what he said.

p.s. the word punk is such a generic and broad word. it's very vague to me, but it seems like a lot of folks on here have one perspective and one image of what "punk rock" sounds and looks like.

this is true, but I would argue that there is a fairly well defined punk SCENE. When I use the word punk I am refering to that... and the bands involved in that. To me it is this scene that is important, so even if a band is doing similar things musically but are totally divorced from the scene I have a hard time considering them punk.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:54 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Awww –šmn

punk status quo  Reply with quote  

yeah well i am gonna have to disagree with punk having one image. it seems like the style that has been commodified and available at Target and Walmart in the form of studs and pins is the thing that pops into most people's heads when they think of "punk rock". but i agree with jesucrutch that punk is all about pushing boundaries and that stuff is so prominent now it's not as edgy or original anymore. if i see some boring christian rock band pimping that rancid style, you know it's ova.

but anyway, punk. what bugs me is all these kids that assume that if you rock a studded belt, leather bands and what not---that is like, the heart of being "punk" and shit. yeah, there's many, many styles not just the sex pistols/malcolm mclaren steez. the ramones just sported leather jackets, white t-shirts and jeans. the minutemen look like a buncha grunge dorks. mc5 wore crazy ass shiny clothes. i'm just saying it has many faces and many varieties. i think one side of it is getting trribly played out and pimped corporately and homogenously.

Last edited by Awww –šmn on Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:34 am; edited 3 times in total
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:07 am
the Wiper

Billy Gnosis wrote:
EVERY SINGLE PERSON was singing the lyrics to American Jesus, I know its their most popular song, but when you have over a thousand people shouting 'He's the farmer's barren fields, the force the army wields, expressions on the faces of the starving children. The power of the man, he's the fuel that drives the klan, he's the motive and the conscious of the murderer. He's the preacher on T.V. the false sincerity .... and I'm fearful that he's inside me." that leads into everyone shouting "one nation, under god" it's more of a spiritual awakening than a concert.

who sings this song? and where can i hear it? american jesus by who?

sounds like something i'd like to partake in.

although i too would like to add my name to the growing list of people who would not pay money to see a sage show if a punk band is the opening act.

i'm open to new things, but i just don't think it's the kind of thing i'd wanna be a part of.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:10 am
favian

disagree  Reply with quote  

i love hip hop but the energy can not contend with punk or metal.

sorry.

i remember my first hip hop show and i was like wow this isnt nearly as energetic or insane as a rock show but its still great.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:45 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Jesse

Reggae is a poppier version of rocksteady which is a slowed down version of ska.

Jamaican ska from the sixties is fucking DOPE.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:52 am
TheRutherglenRebel

I normally get to shows too late to see the support, so I wouldn't give a flyin' fuck.

Seriously though, if there was someone I really wanted to see, they could have Bryan Adams as the support and I'd still go.

I love a lot of punk "standards" (DK, Minutemen, Op Ivy, Jawbreaker, Black Flag etc) but its not something I'm really into right now. Having said that, a punk support at a Sage show I'd definitely check out - you never know, you might just hear something you really like. I'd trust ya, Franky.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:12 am
agent 0 0 f

Re: Is all this punk rock stuff really scaring y'all?  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:

I'm sorry that I have been all piss and vinegar on this messageboard for so long.

peace,
franky

sage does that mean us "shitty people" can stay?
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:10 pm

Billy Gnosis

the Wiper wrote:
Billy Gnosis wrote:
EVERY SINGLE PERSON was singing the lyrics to American Jesus, I know its their most popular song, but when you have over a thousand people shouting 'He's the farmer's barren fields, the force the army wields, expressions on the faces of the starving children. The power of the man, he's the fuel that drives the klan, he's the motive and the conscious of the murderer. He's the preacher on T.V. the false sincerity .... and I'm fearful that he's inside me." that leads into everyone shouting "one nation, under god" it's more of a spiritual awakening than a concert.

who sings this song? and where can i hear it? american jesus by who?

sounds like something i'd like to partake in.

although i too would like to add my name to the growing list of people who would not pay money to see a sage show if a punk band is the opening act.

i'm open to new things, but i just don't think it's the kind of thing i'd wanna be a part of.

Bad Religion
Recipe for Hate
Track 3

While you're at it,
Check out All Good Soldiers, Struck a Nerve (probably one of my favorite songs of all time), Don't Pray on Me, and just about every other song on that album.
And No Control (You), No Substance, Suffer, How Could Hell be Any Worse?Stranger than Fiction, Greatest Hits (80-85, if for nothing else than to hear We're only gonna die, Sublime remade that song on 40oz to Freedom), and another one of my favs is Against the Grain (Faith Alone is an amazing song).

They've made so many more albums, and they're all good, those happen to be my favorites.

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/bad-religion/11977.html
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/bad-religion/11966.html

"Well hanson did it hester
And mark david did it to john
And maybe jack dit it to marilyn
But he did it to south vietnam
For beauty and glory
For money, love and country
Everybodyís doing it,
Donít do that to me
I donít know what stopped
Jesus christ from turning
Every hungry stone into bread
And I donít remember hearing
How moses reacted
When the innocent first born sons
Lay dead
Well I guess
God was a lot more demonstrative
Back when he
Flamboyantly parted the sea
Now everybodyís praying
Donít prey on me"

Greg Graffin, the lead singer of BR has either a Masters or Doctorate in Evolutionary Biology, he's a smart mf.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:08 pm
ObliO

yeah "punk-rock" is a novelty act now a days. Can someone be virtuous if they don't know the definition of virtue? Is epitaph punk? Hey speaking of target and walmart...the digable planets just did a target commercial for back to school gear.

So when agnostic front starts doing Big Mac commercials everyone will want to be a skinhead...And wear fred perry gear.

When playing an extreme sport is synonymous with being punk, people will start wearing vans and buy skate boards...with tatoos and piercings.

his shirt should read "i wanna pose for a press photo"

And when hiphop becomes 8mile and sprite commercials, we'll all become freestyle sprite drinkin back packers with cool nicknames.

Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:41 pm
Awww –šmn

i will be hated for this  Reply with quote  

jesusCrutch wrote:

his shirt should read "i wanna pose for a press photo"
HAHAHAHAHAHA. word, that is mad glossy. we should start yet another punk sub-genre called "glossy punk". ugh. or how about "Another Clash-Derived Punk Band". i can't stand ska-punk.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:47 pm
favian

Jesse wrote:
Reggae is a poppier version of rocksteady which is a slowed down version of ska.

Jamaican ska from the sixties is fucking DOPE.

recomendations?
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:45 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
August Spies

awww damn, I think the term "mall punk" is good, or "Jock punk"

Also works for other genres: "mall emo," "mall metal" etc...
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:50 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dee

I like the 60s ska...but lately my friends have been getting into (early) Selector and Specials and Skatelites shit...apparently its "very good" or something.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:54 pm
mattrego

Some good jamaican ska would be toots and the maytals, the skatalites, byron lee and the dragonaires, desmond dekker. Bob Marley and the wailers had some really good older tracks of "simmer down" and some others. Good shit.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:58 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next