Search
Register
Is all this punk rock stuff really scaring y'all?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

August Spies

am01ne wrote:
ska is the worst name for any type of music ive ever heard. what is that anyways? the name makes me sick, it reminds me of fish for some reason.

genre names in general are pretty horrible:
Sludge, Crust, Country, Goth, gore grind, rap, oi!, doom/death/power metal, alt-rock, grunge etc...
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:24 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
naught

I would not pay money to go to a Sage Francis show where a punk rock band was opening.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:35 pm
Schilluh

anticon diss song?  Reply with quote  

Who is this, and why did they do it? In a way I feel its somebody on sage's crew just mocking their ways but it says in parenthesis (not by us). And it disses the raddest lyricist on earth (Sage).....Could somebody fill me in on this????
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:12 pm
FoJaR

theres a punk band in philly that is incredible called none more black. if you toured with them, i would cry tears of joy. them or against me. check them out. i probably already had you kids check out against me, i think, but that's beside the point.

songs to check:
against me - reinventing axl rose, i still love you julie, we laugh at danger(and break all the rules)

none more black - everyday balloons, dinner's for suckers, never heard of corduroy, banned from teen arts.

if you only get one song from each band, get the last ones on the lists.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:25 pm
Nightlight

Kinda old thread but had to throw my 2 cents in.

Don't think I could honestly call myself a "hardcore rap fan". I've got more guitars then mics. Growin' up, I was exposed to a lot of different shit and I took what I loved from each. I like to think that it's all kinda culminated into this passion for hip hop, the bits and pieces of the other genres I was involved in all rolled into one. It's not the mesh of Sage and Epitaph that tugs at me really. It's the people that come along with that mesh.

The waves of punk funs wailing "What is this rap shit doing on our label?What garbage!"

Or perhaps even scarier, the teeny boppers squealing "Ooo, Sage Francis? I love him! He's soooo cuteeeee!"

I totally understand the desire for artist's need for more exposure, including to different crowds. In a perfect world, all my favorite artists(including Sage) would be millionaires and in positions to reach anyone they wanted and be well received.

Hate to admit it but it's a bit of that elitist attitude that I despise so much.Like I don't want to share, like there are just so many people out there who "aren't worthy" of being exposed to this music. I'm in conflict, one side wanting to see my favorite artists succeed and reach more people, touch more minds, the other side jealously hoarding, trying to remain exclusive, feeling like the mainstream masses wouldn't "get it or appreciate it" like I do. Ugh.

Sorry about the ramblin'. It's just somethin' that tugs kinda deep.

On the other hand, long as I don't hear a Sage/Ashanti love song duet, then hell, could tour with Men At Work, I'll still drop money on a ticket.

Cheers Sage and good luck.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:59 pm
Abinatra

Must've missed this one

As far as touring, I'd go to see your show regardless of who's on the bill w/ you.
I think that was the original question.

After that, I'm uneasy about where the music is heading. First time I heard your music, I was just ........struck. It was something completely different from everything that was in my ears at the time. Refreshing, to say the least, but never straying far enough from the format I've loved since day one. Personal Journals stretched the limits and I loved the album and still do. Now, since not hearing any new material for a while, except from the Makeshift Patriot EP, which was the first piece of product w/ your name on it that I haven't bought, coupled w/ your signing to a traditionally punk label and recent posts about your conflict w/ hip hop currently....I don't know what to expect OUTSIDE of Hope. I'm confident I will love Hope and that comes from your constant comments about the roots of it. But where next? There's a lot more of, not so much singing, but experimentation w/ melody that isn't necessarily of my tastes in cuts like Hang Time and Makeshift Patriot. But many other people seem to like it....
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:31 pm
Billy Gnosis

am01ne wrote:
ska is the worst name for any type of music ive ever heard. what is that anyways? the name makes me sick, it reminds me of fish for some reason.

Ska comes from skank, the style of dancing bands like madness, op ivy, and the bosstones invented. I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure that's where it comes from.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:32 pm
duck_shoe

Ska goes back a lot further than that.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:55 pm
SergOne

I'd go to a show with a punkband opening....I like punk but I don't know THAT much about it, I just know a few good bands that I really like....hiphop is home for me, I don't care if you do shit with punkbands....its the fancyboys ska bands that worry me....as for the feel of HOPE, word on the street is that its kinda a throw back to early 90's hiphop and dope as fuck....so I'm excited to hear it
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:56 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Billy Gnosis

duck_shoe wrote:
Ska goes back a lot further than that.

You're right. Just remembered it originated in reggae sometime. I think it has something to do with the pitch of the guitar strings on the upstrokes.

God, I am stupid.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:23 pm
prolifik

Yes, I'm starting to get scared. I dig live bands (trip-hop, reggae), but none of this rock shit.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:51 pm
bensandoval

i don't know a goddamned thing about punk. i've head some stuff and it didn't really do anything for me. i'm sure i just haven't heard good punk though.

if you're playing in my area, and i've got the skrilla, i'm there.

if hope actually is early nineties hip hop sounding, it should be fucking nice.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:09 pm
August Spies

Billy Gnosis wrote:
am01ne wrote:

Ska comes from skank, the style of dancing bands like madness, op ivy, and the bosstones invented. I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure that's where it comes from.

im 100% sure you are wrong... because Ska is on its THIRD WAVE, and first wave ska was long before operation ivy and the bostones... fucking hell people were skanking long before the bosstones too... kids have no sense of history these days.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:24 pm
dstroi

I don't post much..but eh.

I'd probably pay even more for a show if a punk band opened for Sage...depending on who it is, anyway. Best of both worlds in one show...dope.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:26 pm
August Spies

Quote:

The waves of punk funs wailing "What is this rap shit doing on our label?What garbage!"

Or perhaps even scarier, the teeny boppers squealing "Ooo, Sage Francis? I love him! He's soooo cuteeeee!"

look I dont' like epitaph much cause they have watered down boring punk, in my book at least, but give me a break. Punk fans are very open to different types of music. If epitaph can have the Locust and Tom Waits on their label Sage Francis will be no big deal at all.

and since when did epitaph draw lots of teeny bopper girls?
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:26 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next