Search
Register
Important Question for Everyone. White rasta guys
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

DarkSelectaDub

it's just a trend like everything else, do you think these kids truly believe in it? Like you said there in a reggae band, they probably listen to bob marley, peter tosh and sean paul. Dreads are a huge style, and it's easy to say things like jah will provide, it's like their catch phrase. As far as not black people being rasta's and saying things like color doesn't matter. I thought the ideas of rastafarianism were created by Marcus Garvey, who was all about segragation. Well whatever, im sure they will grow out of it and work the stock market like everybody else and tell their kids how crazy they used to be and whatnot. Theres a good song that you should tell these kids to listen to, it's an old ska song i believe, it's on one of the trojan box sets, it's called "Everybody on the Rastaman Bandwagon"
Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:51 pm
jjay

hugh grants hooker wrote:
this reminds me of the late 80s/ early 90s view of non-black people who loved hip hop.

people used to come down on me pretty hard for it. it was ignorant of them.

its all about what each person loves and enjoys. as long as its a genuine respect and they arent doing it to impress anyone... its cool with me and i'd support.

word. "but thats balck music" "why are you acting black?" "come on your white" the list goes on and on. Blah ignorance must be great. Where did rock n roll come from you stupid fuck? Blah I'm just a "wigga" what the fuck do I know? I
Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:04 pm
tatto0edhands

illmatik06 wrote:
i don't think you should be confused. if these people enjoy what they're doing, have genuine attempts, and are keeping "true" to the roots, then why should they be "labeled" because of their upbringing or ethnicity?

they lable themselves as rastafaris. and whose roots are they being true to? obviously not theirs.
Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:22 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I have nothing constructive to say, but I am absolutely SICK of white boys/girls with dread locks. Sorry. Big big pet peeve of mine.
Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:27 am
firefly

Billy Gnosis wrote:
Sherman Tank wrote:
Isn't Rastafarian based on Christianity but they beleive that an Ethiopean king was the reincarnation of Jesus Christ? somethin along those lines, I got this from Bob Marley: behind the music so who knows if that is a major part of it or a part of it at all.

Yes. THe king's name was Ras Tafari.

He apparently had a ring that contained pieces of King Solomon's ring. The ring was later given to Bob and since his death "no one" knows what happend to it.
Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:37 am
joedan

seeing as to how i've never met a black rasta i can't really comment on the whole ethnicity aspect of this, but every rasta i've ever met seems to be doing little more than trying to find some sort of spiritual justification for smoking weed.
Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:42 am
LuvSpeakeasy

bluntedinmichigan wrote:
anyone ever notice 95% of jungle mcs spit with a jamacan accent?

haha i dont get it

shit man, in miami all these white boys used to rhyme with a jamaican accent at all the jungle parties, i was always sooo fuckin confused by this, because they would speak just fine with no accent. it was absolutely ridiculous to watch that, like.. what are you DOING?? you're NOT jamaican. it was funny tho..
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:27 pm
Nightlight

JUST GIMME DA LIIIIGGHTTT!

I personally feel you can only be part of a certain culture to an extent before your credibility has to be questioned. But yeah, I think for the most part, it's simply a trend thing. It's the same reason kids here on the west coast are talking with the "thurr,hurr.wurr" bullshit southern accents made popular by our wonderful radio stations. If you're not from a certain area, why would you have their accents? Same time, not having the accent doesn't necessarily mean you know nothing about the history.
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:46 pm
emynd

White guys speaking in Jamaican accents is really not so different from white guys from the suburbs (like me) speaking Ebonics. White guys making reggae music is really not so different from white guys like me making rap music. White guys rocking dreads is really not so different from white guys rocking cesars. Yes, this is white people appropriating a culture that's not their own, but frankly, I'm not big on ownership (especially of something like "culture") and I think cultural appropriation allows for a lot more positive, diverse interactions then it does create marginilazation. There are of course exceptions here, but I don't find much wrong with a white person intellectually understanding the African-American struggle and trying to identify with it. Frankly, if white people weren't doing this, wouldn't the fucking music be nothing but preaching to the choir?

That being said, I think girls with dreads are gross.
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:52 pm
emynd

The pedestrian emailed this to me in an exchange we had something like 3 or 4 years ago and it's very relevant here:

"The suburbs represents the deadening of all people's discernable
differences, for better or for worse. the surburbs have gradually come to embody the move away from the ethnic conclaves of the city life, (be they Chinatown, Little Italy, Irishtown, etc.) consisting almost entirely of second, third, fourth or greater generation immigrants.
it's become what i call "the chain frontier," the endlesscape, the starbucks system.
since the end of WWII, the suburbs has been manufacturing generations of children with no real ethnicity, and few all-enveloping cultural traditions to either rebel against or cling to. most people,
especially the europeans that mainly populate these regions, are mutts
culled genetically from wildly disparate reaches of the world.
new york isn't a melting pot, it's a beehive of mutually exclusive immigrant cultures; but the suburbs breeds kids with accents like newscasters and impossible features.
not to mention the break-up of the nuclear family that our suburbs have endlessly innovated and improved upon that only furthers the child's disassociation with their cultural heritage.
a David Berman term: "American Water."
kids like me are a special brand of American water.
i went to junior high and high school in Chula Vista, in Southern
California. there white kids did the ese thing, the filipino houser thing, the black thing. it's practically a rite of passage: the identity hunt is no longer restricted, every culture is game.
we are a nation of consumers without a tangible heritage to restrict our tastes. it's passive cultural anarchy.
all this i think is fairly self-evident and its observation is even
something of a cliche.

and i find the whole situation to be just sparkling with potential.
all of anticon were wiggers when we were 15. beyond the postmodern rhetoric you could attach to the collage aspect of all of this, i think it's the quality of transgression that's of import here. i mean it's got to be significant that none of anticon is any longer on the wigger tip (unlike almost every other european in rap), but we also haven't reverted to any pre-wigger tendencies or heritages, simply because none of us have any relevant heritages to revert to. we've merely reconciled that naive inconsistency of our youth with other influences. and nearly all suburbans are of the same ilk: waiting to be filled up with whatever may come along.
the hippies only really differed in that their path was primarily spiritual, and the new age movements of the late 70's and the 80's were fundamentally an extention of that hippie impulse. i'd say due to a failure of that impulse to satisfy itself, and a loosening on the taboos of cultural appropriation and integration in the past 30 years, the modern suburban impulse is mostly cultural.
anyway, one realizes of course that most white kid trangression is pretty superficial, be it wiggerism, raving, whatever. but it's also an indication of trancendance over tradition, a symptom of the prescence of the omnivore.
i've gone on and on.
let me just add that consumerism is bad, bad, bad. and also very good. i can't help but having hope in the universal banality of McDonalds. there is freedom in the chain frontier.
let me conclude with the muzak metaphor:
muzak is the grand appropriator, from Bob Marley to Jimi Hendrix to Elton John to Mozart, it boils down any and all songform to its essential melodic structure. muzak is trangression, because it represents transgression's key element: guiltless appropriation.
and of course muzak's natural environment is shopping centers, specifically malls or grocery stores; it is a both a result of and a proponent of consumerism.

but modern music does not stop itself at muzak, there are currently more bastardized, brilliant multiforms of every possible kind of music you could imagine than ever before in the history of sound. this is due to general product availability and, again, the opportunity for guiltless appropriation that the suburbs in particular affords. transcendance is simply meaningful transgression. "
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:01 pm
TILTEDmurder

don't be confused, rosa. it doesn't even really concern you (not to be rude or anything)

do what you feel.

fuck them if they're fake ass bitches. but as long as it's from the heart then it's fine.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:20 am
Machiavel

tatto0edhands wrote:

they lable themselves as rastafaris. and whose roots are they being true to? obviously not theirs.

What culture are they supposed to be true too? Their imperalistic white ancestors who killed and stole land from indians? Mabey they should embrace their "seperate but equal" roots.

I say you should ask them about their beliefs in it, ect.

i think nofx got it right with...
"dont call me white"
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:17 am
Mr. Chris

Its just another part of black culture whitey is stealing...

nah, but fa' real, its like saying white people can't rap.

On the other hand I know of a white rasta dude that goes to jamaica every year and is pretty much their bitch.

....and whats wrong with white people with dreads?
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:21 pm
Billy Gnosis

Mr. Chris wrote:
Its just another part of black culture whitey is stealing...

nah, but fa' real, its like saying white people can't rap.

On the other hand I know of a white rasta dude that goes to jamaica every year and is pretty much their bitch.

....and whats wrong with white people with dreads?

Because dreads symbolize something inherint with being truly Jamaican, it's a fashion statement when white kids do it.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:41 pm
Doctrine

The thing is is that it isn't for whites...It just isn't...The rasta lifestyle is FOR BLACKS...And as far as the dreads go...It IS more than a style of hair...It is meant to be many things...From a rebellious hairstyle, to one that is meant to transmit energy with the celestial being almost like antennae...That's the TRUE dreadlock...It's when "weaker" hair I want to say entangles itself onto other groups or "locks" of hair creating an extension...This can only be done masterfully in coarse curly hair...The original dreadlock was not achieved by wax, twisting or braiding...But by the natural growth pattern of the hair without brushing or combing...So the truth is there is NO white person with dreadlocks because their hair cannot entangle itsel in such a manner without salon style treatment...Point blank...The sad thing is is that people both WHITE AND BLACK are exploiting it as a style and not as a trait so to say...I am no rasta, yet I am surrounded by alot of those who follow...It just isn't for whites...Sorry...But I do appreciate a genuine interest in the equalization of the race...For that I say thank you...But take it easy on prooving yourselves...Honest, I know YOU weren't the ones on the plantations with the whips raping my great great grandmother...
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:19 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next