Search
Register
an interview with Crazy Amy about books. 7/18/03
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

an interview with Crazy Amy about books. 7/18/03  Reply with quote  

What are you reading right now, and how do you feel about it so far?

A biography on Neil Young entitled "Shaky." I love it. It is very in depth, and it shows all sides of a man whose music I am currently digging. I did the same thing with Bob Dylan. I read his "Don't Look Back" bio (which is outstanding) while listening to all of his music. I go through phases. I think I've been spoiled by these two biographies though. Not too many people get the proper research done on their music or personal life that Bob Dylan and Neil Young have.

What are the titles of your last three reads, and would you recommend them?

Fast Food Nation (HIGHLY recommend), Steppenwolf (recommend), No More Prisons (slightly recommend.)

Are their any books that significantly influenced your life and changed the way you thought or lived ? (personal example: William Upski wimsatt influenced me to travel and meet interesting people while
home schooling myself after reading his books No More Prisons and Bomb the Suburbs)

1984 is a highly relevant book, but Fast Food Nation rocked my world in much the same way. Both are enlightening and life changing.

What books did you enjoy as a youngster?

Communion, Superfudge, White Mountains, These Mean Streets.

what is your favorite book and why?

"It" by Stephen King was a great read for me. When the kids all decide to have sex while they are in the underground passageways I started to cry. That is one of the strangest things to cry about, but I did. I have some fucked up sex issues apparently. On the Road by Jack Keroac was fun to read while I toured the states. But I really have to give it up to Fast Food Nation again, because that author could teach Michael Moore a thing or two about journalistic writing.

In such war era books as Ray Bradbury's Farenheit 451, and George Orwell's 1984, reading becomes a high crime, all printed word is controlled by the state and over decades books are destroyed and libraries closed. Dictionaries are slimmed down, old words discarded and new ones invented. Printed communication is left solely to the production of pulp magazines and propaganda publishing. Television is the new literature.Some critics argue that we are slowly devolving in this direction, others think this is paranoia at work. What is your opinion?

Scary. Real and scary. The devolution isn't slow, it is fast as hell. I am completely and utterly humbled by George Orwell and his ability to foresee things like this happening. Those books served as warnings to us, and I took them as such. History is being rewritten somewhere right now...and it is going to reach the library by the time your kids get there. It is up to us to remember the essential information and pass it on to younger generations. I firmly believe this. We cannot depend on a faceless future of "teachers" to carry out that job.

What are you going to read next?

I have way too many books on reserve. I usually wait for one to fall into my lap and then I read it. There's no telling what the next book will be. Truthfully, I don't read nearly as much as I should.

Do you have any pet causes to inform our readers about?

Support local business. Keep major franchises the fuck out of your communities at all costs. Walmart is not helping your life just because you can buy your sneakers cheap there.

Do you have any activist organizations links to share with us?

www.non-prophets.com

Do you buy books at corporate stores like Borders & Barnes and Nobles or do you shop independent?

Here's where I get hypocritical. Both.

Last But not least, Sage Francis, do you have a library card? If so, do you owe any past dues? i owe 6.oo dollars American bones.

I have a library card, but it's from 1993 or some shit. I only had it to take out records, steal the samples, and then return em. I don't really want to read a book unless I can mark it up and keep it.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:52 am
the Wiper

i know that this'll probably get no response, but would you care to give me, say, a 50 word summation on 'fast food nation'?

heard many things, but never really read anything on what it's actually about...
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:51 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

read it.

trust me.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:02 am
karl

uh, is this crazy amy from milwaukee?
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:31 am
dense

good interview.... i always like to see what a person i really get inspired by reads and whatnot.... some good books mentioned....

i also read 'fast food nation' a few months ago and it is indeed a mighty fine book.... very well written and eyeopening.... and i agree with the comment about michael moore, eric schlosser has a similar style but with a lot more informative detail..... shit changed the way i eat anyway!.......
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:52 am
pitstain

you mean crazy amy vomit?
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:06 pm
the Wiper

dense wrote:
i also read 'fast food nation' a few months ago and it is indeed a mighty fine book.... very well written and eye opening...

hilarious!

i swear to God, EVERYONE that has read that book says those exact 24 words...but they NEVER say ANYTHING about the damn PLOT!!!

that's all i want to know is what to expect...GEEEEEEEEZ!!!

i'll be picking this up at the library tomorrow, one too many good reviews not to. but i've always been the type to hang my legs into the pool before diving in...
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:40 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Karl,
yes. Crazy Amy is a special person. Utilize her presence if you are familliar with her. Or watch from a distance like me. It's a blast.

Wiper,
Sorry if we can't wrap the book up in a nice little sound bite for you. It is an outstanding piece of journalistic literature that details the effects of globalism, capitalism and americanism worldwide. That description still doesn't do it justice. If I could wrap it up in a nice little bow for you I would, princess.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:25 pm
the Wiper

uhh, thanks?

that's all i wanted. shit, for all i knew, i was going to be reading a book about why american kids are so fat for the next couple days.

s'like pullin' teeth around here!
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:42 pm
am01ne

The kids have sex in the tunnel in IT? Just for fun?

That wasnt in the movie...
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:06 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

That movie is HORRIBLE.

H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E

They fucked up the story SO MUCH. It made me sad to watch.
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:44 am
anonjondoe

page to screen  Reply with quote  

they never do steven king any justice
needful things and the dark half were also
terrible movies but excellent books

in my mind that clown was so fucking scary
there made for tv payaso - i woulda pissed on his big red feet

now everybody go read the dark half and get in touch
with your alter egos

love
george stark
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:10 am
pav

i liked that "he beat his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts" quote alot.. i forgot the original author that king quoted..
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:17 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Edgar Allen Poe.

that quote is ALL OVER the place.
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:37 am
am01ne

i didnt think the movie was that terrible, other than the acting and the ending with the retarded muppet looking spider. i guess i probably only liked it cause i never read the book, but IT scared the shit out me when i was a kid. ill pick up the book this week, i felt like buying a new book and so far the only king books ive ever read were the shining, different seasons and this other book with short story renditions of some of his other flicks.
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:39 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next