tie-my-shoe

they use a lot of big words
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:56 am
Lazy Eyed Pea

Resemblance to me.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:40 pm
apeofdeath
FIRE BREATHING DRAG QUEEN

I.Q has NOTHING to do with knowledge. A knowledgeable person isnt necessarily intelligent, and intelligent people arent necessarily knowledgeable. This is a common misconception.

I laugh at IQ tests that ask you question that requires priori KNOWLEDGE.

An IQ test should test your ability to REASON, and to think LOGICALLY. That is what an IQ test should do.

That being said, there are very few GOOD IQ tests readily available.
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:22 am
Nope

yet...if I were to analyze iq tests for what they are...they're incredibly flawed

at least the ones that i have seen

I could down a list of fuck ups here....but I'll just mention one

this one questions required that theorem...pythagoriam something...a squared plus b squared = c squared basically

Now I was stuck on this question cause I had forgotten this piece of shit cause I hadn't used it in who knows how long...longer than 5 years

then all of the sudden it popped in my head...now this test wasn't timed...but a real iq test would be timed....cause it should test how fast you can reason and blah blah blah

well if it had been timed....a kid that had just been taught the wrongly aformentioned theorem might have answered that question much quickly than me...but does that necessarily mean that that 10 year old or so kid can reason faster or do anything mentally at a higher level than I (besides learning new things of course, which iq tests don't....test)?

so that's a bunch of shit right there...knowing that theorem doesn't say anything about anyone's intelligence

and while there are those that are smart enough that they wouldn't need to know it to solve it the problem ...to the average person like me, it's all bullshit
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:32 am
FoJaR

w00t
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:02 pm
BurpIsPerfect

C'mon y'all. Intelligence is a man-made idea, obviously with no concrete definition, since you're all debating over what it means. Therefore, it can't be measured because it seems to have a different meaning for everyone.

Peeps just probably think you're smart because maybe you speak with confidence, don't second-guess yourself, or are just inquisitive or openminded. I don't know, you might just exude some trait that some people associate with intelligence, so people think you got some hot shit goin on up there. you probably do.

i don't know.

i'm out, panties drop.
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:19 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

the way i look at it.....  Reply with quote  

theres 'book smarts' and 'street smarts'
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:36 pm
Nightlight

Socrates was told by the oracle that he was the wisest man on the earth because basically, he knew he didn't know shit.

On the other hand, dude drank poison. So meh...
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:23 pm
Billy Gnosis

Even if your DJ was Jesus...  Reply with quote  

Burp is right.

I have an amazing memory, it doesn't make me smart. I really don't know how many mental lists I make every day, but it's probably pretty unhealthy. Come on though, what's the obvious common denominator? We're all here actually talking about it, like some deviant electronic congregation of apathetic digital fifth columnists. But beyond that, I like the English language and I love music. I like the way Sage uses both.

And

You have an open-mind, or you probably wouldn't like the message in this particular brand of underground hip-hop.

"an eternally unfolding spectacle"
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:42 pm
Petrouchka Rasputin

164. That iq test is trash. I should never score that high, and particularly not while drunk.

The dictionary seems more useful than most of our opinions.

in·tel·li·gence n.

1.a.The capacity to acquire and apply knowledge.
b.The faculty of thought and reason.
c.Superior powers of mind. See Synonyms at mind.
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:07 pm
Nope

check the first post

I pointed out a conflict the dictionary had between the words intelligence and intelligent

basically...it simply says that being intelligent is having intelligence

but almost everyone has a certain level of intelligence (like you and I posted:
1.a.The capacity to acquire and apply knowledge.
b.The faculty of thought and reason. )

...but who in here is ready to say that almost everyone is intelligent??

simply having the "capacity" is not enough...if you sit at home scratching your capacity's balls all day...then come on
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:16 pm
BurpIsPerfect

Socrates went around proving other men unwise.

Last year in school i wrote a paper proving how--- using as evidence Socrates' criteria on what makes a person wise, and actions he had done and things he said when proving other men unwise--- he would have been able to prove himself rather "unwise."

it's not levels of intelligence, it's just differences in human beings and the way they think....except in the case of some people who are just idiots, of course....hehe
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:53 pm
penelope

having not read the whole thread... forgive me...

Randomsurge... why do you care? Why worry about intelligence?... as far as I'm concerned, if you start rating people by some test, then you start missing stuff...

I would define intelligence as one's capacity to learn from experience and one's capacity to change... i.e. intelligence encompasses a greater understanding as opposed to an ability to identify patterns or solve word problems...

good thread!
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:07 pm
BurpIsPerfect

hey stef  Reply with quote  

Hey Stef, WHEN did i turn into one of these peeps?
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:08 pm
wordsauce

BurpIsPerfect wrote:
C'mon y'all. Intelligence is a man-made idea, obviously with no concrete definition, since you're all debating over what it means. Therefore, it can't be measured because it seems to have a different meaning for everyone.

of course, intelligence is a mad-made idea. however, isn't everything we talk about a man-made idea? by dismissing this and saying that it seems to have a different meaning for everyone is somewhat nihilistic. i am reminded of nietzsche's "on truth and lies in a non-moral sense." he said something along the lines of any word, concept, or construct we use simply being completely arbitrary.

for an example, take something that is understood to be objective that really is subjective...

a conversation with my professor:
Prof: "So what the hell is red? What really is red? Do you see the problem that is inherent in the word?
Me: "Energy that has wavelength of around 600 nanometers."
Prof: "But what does that mean?"
Me: "Nothing since nanometers are our own personal, meaningless interpretations."
Prof: "Exactly."

but back to the point... even though we cannot define intelligence, we can make statements generally that extract the important concepts of what we are trying to say. in communication, perfect duplication of thought is never produced, but we are aiming for the gist or important effects.

so to refocus this thread...
although intelligence cannot be defined, what are the common elements you find in people you consider intelligent? this list will provide not a definition of intelligence... but it will allow us to have some coherency in conversation so we know what people mean when they refer to intelligence.

i will start the list...
-an ability to adapt to your environment... (a lesser form of adapting to your environment would be being able to change your environment)
-an ability to place meaning into your experience
-an ability to not be bored, an ability to know what you should be doing
-an ability to see things for yourself, creativity in a word.
-an ability to find happiness. (i think people will disagree with me on this one heavily... saying things like ignorance is bliss... etc. some people claim that the more you know the more depressed you get. i contend that the more knowledge you have then perhaps the more depressed you get... as i view knowledge to be other people's subjective experience you have accumulated rather than your own which provides intelligence.)
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:37 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next