Search
Register
What makes someone intelligent?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Nope

What makes someone intelligent?  Reply with quote  

I know I know, but bear with me

Is it simply having a lot of knowledge? Is it maximizing that knowledge?

Those that we regard as geniuses usually are only experts on one thing. A "scientific genius" or "genius mathematician"

So yeah those people are good at that one thing, but again, usually they're not very good at anything else. So just how smart can they be?

Now let's take me for example. People are always saying I'm smart, but I can't do math for shit (I seriously forgot how to subtract for awhile), I hate reading books, and I just don't know that much in general. About anything.

And I don't do anything. How smart can you be if you don't do jack shit all day. If I was smart I would realize that I have some knowledge/abilities and put them to use, right?

So what the fuck. I can't do anything specially well, yet people are always giving me this shit about being smart. And it pisses me off. I keep telling these people I'm dumb as shit (and trust me, there's proof of this daily) but everybody's just like "oh you're just saying that", or "you've just convinced yourself of that.

NO...I just don't know shit, ha

Now I know people that are considered smart cause they know a lot about the enviroment or something, but they don't know shit about history...so again, how smart can these people be???

I've come to the conclusion that being intelligent is just having the ability to reason and putting it to "good" use...whatever that may be. There have been murderers that were smart as shit right?

The way this works is the ability of reason=basically everyone

putting it to "good" use=doing something with what you got

The dictionary says intelligence is:

The capacity to acquire and apply knowledge

And being intelligent simply "having intelligence"

But can't all non-mentally incapacitated humans do this? So yeah we all have a basic level of intelligence, but we aren't all intelligent...I mean it's nice to believe that, but I see proof to the contrary every day. Including in myself.

So isn't that definition incomplete? Wouldn't it be, "The capacity to acquire and apply knowledge WELL"?

I don't know...I've seen smart people, but I could just tell they were smart....then I've seen other people that seem to know everything...but still didn't seem that smart

If you took the time to read all that, sorry...I'm bored
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:10 am
Lazy Eyed Pea

That question
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:16 am
Krang
THE ORC BREATH

sense of humor
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:17 am
Lazy Eyed Pea

*raises roof*
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:20 am
bensandoval

i get the same thing.

i've been hearing the "you're so smart" crap for years now from my teachers and my parents and shit but even on my best day i could only consider myself to be of average intelligence.

i have zero idea about how to define intelligence. but it is almost instantly recognizable in some people. they really don't even have to say anything but you can just tell. it's wierd.

i also the get the "you're a really creative person" tag but i don't do anything creative. i don't paint. i don't write(anymore). i don't take photographs. i don't play an instrument. i've only recently started making beats but they don't count for shit at this point.

i dunno how the fuck they see me as creative when i don't do a goddamned thing.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:23 am
hugh grants hooker

go to www.iqtest.com and take the test, its supposed to be as accurate as a standard i.q. test will be. its the one the local shrinks make clients take to check their mental capacity.
anyway... just show those people the results and tell them to shut up.

if you really want them to leave you alone just fuck up on purpose. show them an i.q. printout of 95. haha
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:28 am

bensandoval

i put zero faith into iq tests

i've taken three of them and they were all very different

i don't even know what a good score is but i doubt i got one
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:30 am
Nope

FUCK iq tests

if I know one thing is that intelligence can't be measured with a number

not yet anyway
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:30 am
Krang
THE ORC BREATH

Oh yeah, creativity for sure.

I think intelligence is made up of various things... i like to judge intelligence on sense of humor, creativety, and lateral thinking.

The problem is, the schooling system in australia thinks maths (which is really only memory) is the ultimate judge of intelligence.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:32 am
hugh grants hooker

as it was explained to me, i.q. isnt a measure of intelligence. its basically just a measure of how easily you comprehend things.

an i.q. of 130 will catch on to things fairly quickly
an i.q. of 80 is gonna have trouble catching on to the basics of drink pouring.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:33 am

Lazy Eyed Pea

RandomSurge wrote:
if I know one thing is that intelligence can't be measured with a number

not yet anyway

i don't think you have much to worry about homie
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:36 am
The_Human

I think there are 2 kinds of intelligence.

First, there is memorization. If you read the dictionary and start spouting off words, thats a form of intelligence I guess.

Then, theres innovation. The ability to create new ideas. Thats real intelligence, to me anyways.

People considered smart are the ones who can express their ideas in a way that other people can understand them, but it has to be something new or theres no point.

So, you have to have a new idea, and you have to beable to express your view in a convincing way.

If you can do that, most people would consider you smart.

These people who bombard you with 30,000 8 sylable words they just memorized from Websters are actually the biggest stupid asses in the world. Theyre just a computer, and without the ability to create[AI] their not doing anybody good.[man and machine].

All they did was talk over your head and cloake their idea in some type of bullshit, because it was nothing new and they didnt want to get busted.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:37 am
Nope

hugh grants hooker wrote:
as it was explained to me, i.q. isnt a measure of intelligence. its basically just a measure of how easily you comprehend things.

an i.q. of 130 will catch on to things fairly quickly
an i.q. of 80 is gonna have trouble catching on to the basics of drink pouring.

iq=intelligence quotient

and the first iq test was based on the definition of intelligence which was broken into 3 parts

thanks to google for making me look like I know something
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:42 am
Lazy Eyed Pea

The_Human wrote:
If you read the dictionary...thats a form of intelligence...The ability to create new ideas...Thats real intelligence...but it has to be something new or theres no point...you have to beable to express your view in a convincing way...people would consider you smart...

biggest stupid asses in the world...

All they did was talk over your head and cloake their idea in some type of bullshit, because it was nothing new and they didnt want to get busted.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:45 am
bensandoval

despite what i said i took the iq test

i scored a 143

and it means shit
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:50 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next