Profile
Search
Register
Log in
Favorite directors
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Author Message
Billy Gnosis



Joined: 16 Jul 2003
Posts: 1281
Location: Southern Oregon
 Reply with quote  

I would have included Kevin Smith, it's just his dialogue is so good it makes his actual film-making almost disappointing. He's the first to admit he can't film action worth shit (which is why there is no actual carnage being shown when Loki loses it on everyone).

That, and there is that one dramatic error in Chasing Amy is when you see the film crew in the background reflection of a window you're not supposed to notice).
I think Kevin Smith should write movies, not nessecarily direct them.

Names I forgot: A lot of them are on Random Sample's list, Kurosawa - the first time you see Seventh Samurai is an experience. But Kurosawa has something in common with Romero, they're no longer with us among the living. When I made that first post it was late and I was sticking to living directors.
Post Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:38 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Bles



Joined: 04 Jul 2002
Posts: 561
Location: RI
 Reply with quote  

Did anyone watch Project Greenlight so far this season? That one dude that was in the final 4... the one who's video submission involved the mental patient seeing the demon or whatever it was... that guy was fucking incredible. I'm no expert on film or anything, but I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say that that guy could be the best director I've ever come across. It was fucking unbelievable. Shit, even the other people that didn't make it were amazing. The girl that did the shot through the party, and the guy that did his based on the JFK assassination... those were all some really talented motherfuckers. I was really disappointed they picked the two shitheads with the cheesy special effects, but whatever. I hope the the other 3 get a break and can make movies someday...
Post Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:14 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Andvil



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 343
Location: Morgantown, WV
 Reply with quote  

P.T. Anderson for me, hands down
Boogie Nights might be my favorite of all time,
and both Magnolia and PDL are in the top ten. Hard Eight is in the top 50

and I'm out
Post Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:18 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
vintge
is vintge vince? vince vintge vincge?


Joined: 17 Jul 2002
Posts: 4334
Location: LA
 Reply with quote  

^^^^ im with you mang, but magnolia is my favorite

Godard is the king though

then

Spike Jonze
Fritz Lang
Werner Herzog
jean renior
orson welles

also love and gotta include my boy david gordon green
roger avery (he claims to be behind most tarrantinos ideas i.e. pulp fiction and res dogs, he makes tight movies too.)
OVERRATED : WES ANDERSON, USUAL SUSPECTS (yeah thats not a director but fcuk that shit)

heres some new projects in the works for you to look forward too also

Chris Nolan - Batman aka the intimidator?
Danny Boyle - Solomon Grundy (this looks fucking great, its miramax and the story isa guy who fully grows up and dies in a week, his nanny falls in love with him by wednesday
Wes Anderson - Aquatic aka oceanography aka untitled, its with the typical cast about a quirky underwater research ship or something
Richard Kelly (donnie darko) - knowing
Darren Aronofsky - Lone wolf and cub
altman - mata hari
doug liman - mr and mrs smith (brad pitt set, catherine zeta jones)
allen coulter (of sopranos and 6 ft under fame) - new hbo miniseries
david gordon green - confederacy of dunces - will be amazing, mark my words, the script has ignatius talking shit over the credits of the film homer simpson style

your cut too shushy

peace,

fiddlestone copperstone
Post Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:05 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19374
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

David Gordon Green. Hell yes. I am awaiting All the Real Girls to come out on DVD so I can finally see it, since it wasn't in a theater anywhere near me.

George Washington was a very nice movie.

I'll be interested to see how Confederacy works. We talked about how someone might be able to do that film in my New Orleans Lit class a few years.
Post Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:10 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
fusiblelinks



Joined: 16 May 2003
Posts: 72
most unique  Reply with quote  

peter greenaway
brothers quay
william peter blatty
charles laughton
gregory markopoulos
maya deren
Post Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:47 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
tom inhaler
me too!


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 4398
Location: providence
 Reply with quote  

futuristxen wrote:
David Gordon Green. Hell yes. I am awaiting All the Real Girls to come out on DVD so I can finally see it, since it wasn't in a theater anywhere near me.

George Washington was a very nice movie.

I'll be interested to see how Confederacy works. We talked about how someone might be able to do that film in my New Orleans Lit class a few years.


never saw george washington, though i really want to... i saw all the real girls a few weeks ago, it was great... really great.

inhaler/thecat
www.inhalerproductions.com
Post Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:49 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Mojo the helper monkey



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 1304
Location: California
 Reply with quote  

Oh fuck, are you serious!? I'm in the middle of Confederacy of Dunces right now and I am loving it. And David Gordon Green is going to direct!!!!?? Holy shit I'm going to pass out from overwhelming joy. If you got my hopes up and this doesn't happen I'm going to find out where you live and kick your dog.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:45 am
 View user's profile Send private message
Random Sample



Joined: 12 Aug 2002
Posts: 2460
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
 Reply with quote  

vintage wrote:

Chris Nolan - Batman aka the intimidator?



I am pretty sure that the story is going to be the same as dark knight returns. I think that frank miller wrote the script for this one. It is going to be the best comic book movie made.

vintage wrote:

Darren Aronofsky - Lone wolf and cub



This should be ill. Lone wolf and cub are always good stories. I have seen so many of them that it is a little boring, but it should be cool.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:10 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Billy Gnosis



Joined: 16 Jul 2003
Posts: 1281
Location: Southern Oregon
 Reply with quote  

Bryan Singer directed the Usual Suspects, I think it's a fantastic movie but unfortunately what he's done since then is really disappointing (The X-men movies and another I forget the name of where this kid finds out this old German guy in his neighborhood is a former Nazi officer).

Sam Mendes is another name I should mention (American Beauty, Road to Perdition). His wide camera angles and panning are amazing.

vintge wrote:
^^^^ im with you mang, but magnolia is my favorite

Godard is the king though

then

Spike Jonze
Fritz Lang
Werner Herzog
jean renior
orson welles

also love and gotta include my boy david gordon green
roger avery (he claims to be behind most tarrantinos ideas i.e. pulp fiction and res dogs, he makes tight movies too.)
OVERRATED : WES ANDERSON, USUAL SUSPECTS (yeah thats not a director but fcuk that shit)

heres some new projects in the works for you to look forward too also

Chris Nolan - Batman aka the intimidator?
Danny Boyle - Solomon Grundy (this looks fucking great, its miramax and the story isa guy who fully grows up and dies in a week, his nanny falls in love with him by wednesday
Wes Anderson - Aquatic aka oceanography aka untitled, its with the typical cast about a quirky underwater research ship or something
Richard Kelly (donnie darko) - knowing
Darren Aronofsky - Lone wolf and cub
altman - mata hari
doug liman - mr and mrs smith (brad pitt set, catherine zeta jones)
allen coulter (of sopranos and 6 ft under fame) - new hbo miniseries
david gordon green - confederacy of dunces - will be amazing, mark my words, the script has ignatius talking shit over the credits of the film homer simpson style

your cut too shushy

peace,

fiddlestone copperstone
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:31 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
tinkleDRINKER



Joined: 25 Jul 2002
Posts: 788
 Reply with quote  

Billy Gnosis wrote:
Bryan Singer directed the Usual Suspects, I think it's a fantastic movie but unfortunately what he's done since then is really disappointing (The X-men movies and another I forget the name of where this kid finds out this old German guy in his neighborhood is a former Nazi officer).

Sam Mendes is another name I should mention (American Beauty, Road to Perdition). His wide camera angles and panning are amazing.




apt pupil - disappointment
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:15 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
tom inhaler
me too!


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 4398
Location: providence
...  Reply with quote  

Billy Gnosis wrote:
Bryan Singer directed the Usual Suspects, I think it's a fantastic movie but unfortunately what he's done since then is really disappointing (The X-men movies and another I forget the name of where this kid finds out this old German guy in his neighborhood is a former Nazi officer).

Sam Mendes is another name I should mention (American Beauty, Road to Perdition). His wide camera angles and panning are amazing.



you can thank conrad hall for that... he's the cinematographer... though seeing as how he's dead, you can't thank him anymore... he was an excellent cinematographer though...

inhaler/thecat
www.inhalerproductions.com
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:32 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19374
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

haha
I was going to make the Conrad Hall post. But you beat me to it.

I'll just say Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and be done with it.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:36 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
tom inhaler
me too!


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 4398
Location: providence
 Reply with quote  

futuristxen wrote:
I'll just say Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and be done with it.


oh man, butch cassidy was a great movie.. someone was complaining to me about how it was historically inaccurate, but it doesn't matter.. it was still a great movie.

inhaler/thecat
www.inhalerproductions.com
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:45 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
rook.



Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Posts: 3
Location: .movies.
 Reply with quote  

slothrop wrote:
spike jonze
ted demme
terry gilliam


here's whats i gots to say about that.
terry gilliam = gawd.
not God, God but gawd. apreciate that.

spike jonze.
when not filming drunken idiots driving shopping carts around. making films with a title that is directed to it's audience. hes good. adaptation. was a kickin' flick. whereas malkovich was definitly unique and worthwhile.
yet the rest is not worth a rating of the top 3.

finally arrives ted demme. what a role model. a man that directs a movie based on blow entitled blow. then suffers a heart failure directly relating to this substance most scientists like to call, cocaine.

then we have the ref. with the worst man in the business, dennis leary. (excluding suicide kings). he also directed no cure for cancer. now im not an uptight cat who doesnt like swear words. i mainly base my comedy off the king andrew dice clay. but leary simply 'blows' pardon my terrible line but seriously man. what kind of hurting top 3 or 5 or whatever is this.

but dont worry im just bustin your balls. i like to argue so ill put up a link to my site and anyone that would like to discuss. please do....

[url]seetosee.tripod.com[/url]


.rook.
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:48 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:22 pm
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon