Search
Register
Picture me coolin out on the 4th of July
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Picture me coolin out on the 4th of July  Reply with quote  

if you heard I was celebratin thats a world wide lie.

I think I have started off with the same post subject every 4th of July. Gotta keep the tradition going. Tradition being the illusion of permenance and all. Plus, I am in Switzerland right now...where they also recognize the 4th of July for some strange reason. Or maybe they are just saying that to appease us American boys.

It is a rare occasion that I post anything substantial these days. However, I am sitting in front of a computer backstage, and I have about 3 hours before I actually perform. Might as well say whats up to the junkies of this site. Hi there.

I am touring Europe with Sole, Dose, Jel, their keyboardist Dax and a German road manager named Olly. When Olly gets stressed out he begins cursing in German, and muttering horrible things to himself. Sometimes this is due to the aggrivating nature of his passengers. We only have 3 days left. We began the count down one week into the trip.

Sole freestyles day and night. Corny 92 style deliveries. I join in most of the time. Other times I just practice fart noises with my mouth. I like to see how long I can go before losing my breath. I am over the minute mark right now.

I finished three books on this tour. Steppenwolf, No More Prisons and Fast Food Nation. Steppenwolf paralleled my life to a freaky degree. No More Prisons was disjointed and left me wishing for more cohesiveness. Fast Food Nation rocked my world. I plan on reading it again.

Dose never reads. He listens to music and writes a lot. Always the artist's artist, he is hyper critical of his music. And other people's music. When he is in a bad mood you can catch him saying some very nasty things. No prisoners. Other times he is the disciplinary of me and Tim Holland. There's history in their interactions, and you can see it in the familliar way they play off of each other. Their talks about the making of Deep Puddle are especially funny.

The set up for Themselves and Sole is quite impressive. It is a stage show I have never seen any other hiphop group pull off so well. For the Themselves set, Dose, Dax and Jel line up in a row and stand behind their equipment station. All different trinkets. And Dose has a number of microphones to supply various vocal effects. Jel plays the drums live on an MPC. Dax plays keyboard. And all of them have seperate effects units that seem to be drum machines of some sort. Not quite sure. As impressed as I am with their set up, I never really inquired about where all the sounds are coming from or who is doing what. All I know is that they have kept up a very good hustle. For Sole, they all stay behind their stations while Sole parades in front of them. The sound is BIG. The interaction is beautiful.

All I have is a cd player. again. But it works. I have a chair, a mic stand and a cd player. I had a dream about Pat Benetar last night. Is that worth anything?

Dax is a big, black man with dredlocks. He is also outwardly homosexual, which makes conversations in the van a whole new game. It's funny to see what kind of comments he reacts to, and what kind of perspective he has to offer on certain subjects. They don't often relate to him being black or gay, but sometimes they do. He snores like a maniac so he sleeps in isolated areas whenever there's an extra room. Haha. He is a good sport about it.

Sleep. Sleep. We have slept on many floors. We sleep in hostiles. We slept in a squat. Tonight we are sleeping in a room they have in the club. Bunk beds. Dirty blankets left and right. Sometimes we get pillows. When we are lucky we get to sleep in a hotel, but the hotels in Europe often have miniature beds. You can't roll over without falling off. And whoever designed the shower system in Europe is damn retarded. Toilets with no toilet seats also seem to be quite the rage in certain parts. I could go on about the toilet situation, but I digress.

This tour was an insult to the pocket, but rich in personality. Jel is one cool cat. He doesn't say much, but when he does it is usually insightful. Sole is exactly the opposite (a lot like myself.) Shock value rap boys.

As I have already explained in an early post, I have some very important things to go home to. And I am very excited. I`ve been thinking a lot about the last three years of my life and how drastic shit has changed since 2000.
I was dead broke and in debt three years ago. Living with a girlfriend who was kind enough to let me stay with her. She had 3 Gs in her bank account and I can remember thinking about all the things I could do with a goldmine like that. Instead of hanging out with the crew and socializing over pot and beer, I was dubbing tapes with a machine on her couch, and promoting myelf at any given opportunity. I was photocopying handmade tape and cd covers. cutting them all to size with huge scissors. going to bed when she was waking up for work, putting a horrible strain on our relationship. And that was the end of that.

This gets me very sentimental. There are people who were supporting me back then who are still here today. There are people who bought my demo tape at a hardcore show in 1996 who still come to my shows and tell me about it. Sometimes, it makes me sad to think about. Like, I should have done more with myself since then. But then I have to consider the sacrifices I was willing to make by doing things my own way. Refusing to pander to the neanderthals. Catering to the lowest common denomenator. I stuck to my guns and showed many people the open door. Most took it. Good riddance.

Joe Beats has stuck around the longest. He is only one from my early college days who has stuck the grind out with me. The rest are in the distance shaking their fist. I gloat now, because I have earned the right. When I see someone taking advantage of us...or trying to discredit our uprising, I pull their card. Because it's easy to do, and my base is strong.

"I talk a lot of shit but I can back it all the fuck up"-Boss

At the end of the day, I am back to the low self-esteem. Just like everyone else. Wondering if I am doing the right thing. Wondering what I have inadvertantly ruined for myself. Questioning my ability to do what I feel should be done. So I wake up every morning with a new fire under my ass. And I do my deeds unapologetically.

It keeps me away. Out on my own. But I have a home now. And I am going to it. And things are growing there. And I will tend to them. And when that fire burns out, there will hopefully be somebody there to keep me warm. Because I am sad person with a tampon in my heart. It talks to me during sex. Everything that surrounds this private life of mine is incidental. They call things like that "revealing." That's an old realm. A comfortable one. Talking about you is a bit more difficult.

Let me guess, you have a sneaky suspicion that daddy doesn't love you. Mommy always told me there'd be dames like this.

Happy independents day.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:03 pm
pav

ah yes.. these are always interesting.. i'll join in.

I heard the live Themselves footage and saw the movie clip for the sonar festival. I love their setup.. jel is amazing. Dose's live vocals are excellent. I hope Sole tours the US like that.. his SLW tour was ok, but the sound wasnt really full enough.. he banged away on a dr. sample and had a cello player.. i believe Alex Kort.. it was a bit disjointed.. but Sole and Jel live would be really great.. if sole tours the US again, please tour with him.

I remember overhearing a conversation at a SLW show where a guy from Grand Buffet referred to Sole as the most annoying asshole ever to tour with.. at least i assumed he was talking about Sole..

if you want another good book to read, i suggest "The Wind Up Bird Chronicle" by haruki murakami.. i recently read it during my last few weeks of high school.. and it really fucked with my mind.. i don't think it was a choice time to read a book like that.. it made me want to completely upturn my life and do something strange.. thus things have been weird for me lately..

and i saw on a website that 9/22 is the release date for HOPE.. i already want this damn summer to be over with.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:24 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

the release date for HOPE has been moved up due to cover art issues.

They weren't really feeling our gritty approach. Lets "hope" the thing doesn't end up looking like a rave flyer.

And the guy the dude grand buffet was referring to was most definitely Alex. Not Sole.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:27 pm
goldenmean

what the fuck  Reply with quote  

you sound a little sad and depressed.

yr touring europe. the artists yr touring with, along with yrself, are selling better than ever and fairly widely recognized in the vast world of music. people in fucking other countries know yr songs. you got signed to epitaph which will no doubt get you even more fans and a little security money for yr touring career. you have a girlfriend. you play shows and more than 10 people show up. youve spent most of yr time and energy on the art that you do and HAVENT fallen on yr face.

happy independents day indeed, superstar.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:27 pm
pav

isn't a release date being moved UP a good thing??

or do you mean it's being moved DOWN.. as in getting put out further down in the calender.. which would make more sense if the cover art is delayed.. but would also make things a lot more shitty for me.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:42 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

things like that don't bring happiness.

I think they bring a little bit of security.

And I am damn grateful of the people who have continued to support me.

Touring Europe is a job right now. Not a vaction, trip or get away. It definitely has its moments, but do they measure up to the fun I have back at home with my close friends?

In retrospect, I would have rather stayed home. But that's the way I am. It has nothing to do with the people I am with at all, because they have been awesome. But I need solitude. And if I am going to take another chunk out of my life to sit in a van all day then I need to be paid in a way that lets me enjoy the rest of my life when the grind is done. These 20 Euro shows paid me less in ALL then what I was paid in one Providence show. The math is annoying. I am not disappointed with the fans at all, it is completely a business problem.

When I finish my perfomance these days, I jet. I literally get off the stage and hit the dead, empty streets. I walk until I realize I am lost and then I try to find my way back. Hopefully most of the sweat has dried up by the time I find my back to the club. Or hotel. My interest is not selling my merchandise. I brought one bag of merch and sold out after 3 shows. I want people to enjoy themselves during my set. But then I want to be away from that whole world. I can't stick around the noisy, smoky club yelling back and forth with drunk crowds.

Not my thing. But times are changing. As is my mentality. As is my music.

thank you everybody. by sticking around you've helped me realize things that many people die without ever knowing. also, don't mind me right now. We have two shows left of this tour, so I am burning my brain's midnight oil.

heyyyy.....our show that we were supposed to have with El-P, Lif and Talib Kweli in Norway got cancelled because the Ferry was broken. Fate?

the release date is being moved sideways. It will still come out in the Fall. As long as art workers move their pretty little fingers fast enough.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:49 pm
bensandoval

my fourth will be spent alone

i plan on taking bart(extremely drunk and stoned) into sf and watching the fireworks from a sidewalk somewhere

i'd gotten used to spending the fourth with my girlfriend who is back home in tucson. oh, and we broke up. after 4 1/2 years, it's over. needless to say i'm depressed, confused, and freaked out. shit sucks

so this year i'm flying solo cuz i can't imagine spending the fourth with anyone else. as cheesy as that may sound it's true.

so i say cheers to everyone who has a good day, appreciate the people you're spending time with, you're lucky. sure i've made friends out here but they're with they're families and loved ones whereas i started drinking alone at about 12:30pm.

enjoy the day, not because of what the day means, but because of the people you have around you to share it with. appreciate them.

-ben
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:57 pm
futuristxen

On the 4th we drug our dog because the fireworks scare her.

As a junkie of the site, I must say thanks for taking the time to unwind your thoughts a little bit. So far that's the highlight of my day. I have some friends going to a rodeo a few towns over, that I don't have the directions to. That's kind of exciting.

Anyhow, best of wishes Sage. Come back to the motherland safely.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:59 pm
the Wiper

hopefully you at least gained a few new fans...
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:23 pm
Wish Sammich

My introduction to the finery that is Sage Francis happened earlier this year, actually. I'm a hardcore newbie, the un-groupie. I'd pretty much given up on hip-hop except for a select few folks who I felt worked that mic magic nicely. I was tired of all the bling-bling, hoes and blah blah blah, but one cold January day, a friend of mine mentioned the name of Sage Francis. This homeboy of mine does one of those online journal things, and he was mentioning his favorite lyrics, verses, beats and such. He mentioned Aesop Rock and Sage in there somewhere and because I respect his opinion greatly, I had to hear it. I was at my favorite bookstore, and Personal Journals was right out in the open for me to scoop. I scooped that bad boy, along with Labor Days and God Loves Ugly and some other Funkadelic joint that my collection lacked. The dude who rang me up said I'd made some beautiful choices, and since he was such a fine-lookin' piece of man, I thought I was in like Flynn. It's mostly safe to say that I'm hooked like a vulture to carrion. My horizons have been broadened and my love for the hip-hop has grown by a few feet, at least. "I can't get enough (I try, I try)..."

Thanks a bunch, man.

This 4th will be spent with my neice and her mom, my parents and brother and anyone else who wants to come over. We'll discuss the finer things in life, such as Rocket Pops and new socks. I'll be sure to toss some Sage Francis into the fine fray.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:19 pm
Jesus Frank

Re: Picture me coolin out on the 4th of July  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
This gets me very sentimental. There are people who were supporting me back then who are still here today. There are people who bought my demo tape at a hardcore show in 1996 who still come to my shows and tell me about it. Sometimes, it makes me sad to think about. Like, I should have done more with myself since then. But then I have to consider the sacrifices I was willing to make by doing things my own way. Refusing to pander to the neanderthals. Catering to the lowest common denomenator. I stuck to my guns and showed many people the open door. Most took it. Good riddance.

Joe Beats has stuck around the longest. He is only one from my early college days who has stuck the grind out with me. The rest are in the distance shaking their fist. I gloat now, because I have earned the right. When I see someone taking advantage of us...or trying to discredit our uprising, I pull their card. Because it's easy to do, and my base is strong.

"I talk a lot of shit but I can back it all the fuck up"-Boss

Sometimes I feel really happy for you, and a few others that are on the right track, Sage. When I think about how you one day will be able to look back at everything and just smile. At it all; your work, what you had to go through, how great some things really were, at archived interviews & articles, pictures, videos, notes, journals, etc. You know, when you get that perspective. To just sit back and appreciate what you actually have done and accomplished. To breathe out and just smile. That just seems to be the ultimate to me, and I don't know anyone as well on his/her way for that than you. And I just love it. Respect and congratulations. Why I'm writing this? I don't know, something compelled me to when I read that.

Fanboy talk? whatever
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:41 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

sage i honestly havent been a fan since "day one" but i would like to thank you for puttting out a dope cd <THE PJ ALBUM'> plus all the back catalog that i have been fournante enough to hear

best wishes to whatever the future may hold
<i would hope you would wish me the same>

big upps to what youve done so far and to what the future holds

THANK YOU
<i hope this goes beyond a post on a msgboard>

ahhhh words to expalain the un explainable ........i dont think so.....
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:56 pm

Jump to: