Profile
Search
Register
Log in
smoke weed, keep brain cells. hooray!!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Author Message
Ryan



Joined: 27 Sep 2002
Posts: 739
Location: Presque Isle, Maine
 Reply with quote  

not being sober weirds me out most of the time..
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:37 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
duke_city



Joined: 05 Jul 2002
Posts: 3208
Location: San Diego,CA
 Reply with quote  

kese wrote:
did you know that it used to be illegal not to grow hemp.
tons of interesting facts on this page.
especially dealing with how it used to be the most used medicine in the world.
http://www.hiddenmysteries.com/redir500/index541.html


1619! I hope you understand that the marijuana of almost 400 years ago and whats being grown and consumed today is totally different. Not nearly as potent, resilient, or robust.

If the same amount of engineering and botanical improvments that have been applied to marijuana in the last 100 years were applied to the Tomato we would have 400 pound tomatoes that would grow in the desert.

Heres some sources to back up my claims:

http://www.capddr.org/downloads/july02newsletter.pdf


Quote:


NIDA Says Today's Marijuana More Potent
A study from the National Institute on Drug Abuse
(NIDA) says that marijuana seized in drug arrests in the
late 1990s is twice as potent than that seized in the late
1980s, and four times as powerful than marijuana seized
in the 1970s, the Washington Post reported recently.
"There's no question marijuana is more potent today,"
said Mahmoud El Sohly, director of the Marijuana
Project, a NIDA-funded program at the University of
Mississippi that grows marijuana for study. "There has
been a constant increase in potency."
According to the study, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol or
THC, the main active ingredient that produces the high in
marijuana, averages about 4 percent in today's marijuana,
compared to 1 percent to 2 percent 30 years ago.




http://www.cannabisnews.com/news/thread11934.shtml

Quote:


Tommy’s buyer was not unusual, it turns out. As better cultivation techniques and genetic engineering have made marijuana more potent than ever, dealers and users say that many members of pot’s first generation–the baby boomers–have discovered they cannot function under the modern bud’s influence. Here in New York, they’ve begun asking their suppliers to provide them with a kind of low-grade, retro, "decaf" pot–one effective enough to produce a mild high, and not so powerful that it makes them hallucinate at Junior’s soccer practice



The last source was taken from cannabisnews.com, most stoners prolly already read this but forgot it almost immediatley.

My previous post was pretty stupid, nobody who smokes marijuana could ever aspire to the likes of a pilot or surgeon. My mistake.


Brian
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:39 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
avatar



Joined: 16 Sep 2002
Posts: 3418
Location: Republic of Cascadia
 Reply with quote  

the scientists are implying that over the long term regular users of marijuana are of no less intelligence than when they started their regular use. of course certain abilities are impaired when under the direct influence (i.e. motor skills), but also in a compensatory move, our brains enhance other areas while under the influence (i.e. creativity). i thank the heavens almost daily that my elementary school education pre-dated the d.a.r.e. program. apparently hgh and dallasboy still cling to the rhetoric that program preached. we can recycle this recycled argument once again on this forum, but in the end we will again only figure out who is for or against marijuana. and that is all that will come of it, as always.

i want to have the tom leykis bong toke sound effect to sound when ever this thread is opened.
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:42 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
MessiahCarey



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 10924
 Reply with quote  

dallasbboy wrote:

My previous post was pretty stupid, nobody who smokes marijuana could ever aspire to the likes of a pilot or surgeon. My mistake.


????

Wow. How about owning your own house, car, and being the Network Administrator at a multimillion dollar company? Could that happen to someone who smokes marijuana? Oh yeah...it does.

Or an air traffic controller? Oh yeah...it did.

It's not the drug, it's the people that make the choices of what they aspire to - don't try and place the blame on an inanimate object just because maybe some of your friends or family didn't have the desire to do anything with their lives (I'm just guessing here...I could be wrong obviously as I don't know you).

But as long as you have these misconceptions, I ain't mad atcha. It's easy to be deceived, there's billions of dollars put into making it happen every year. And as far as the surgeon thing...they're usually fucking with uppers and downers to handle their long shifts and whatnot...there's plenty of drug use among surgeons - I don't know any personally, but it wouldn't take long to find one if it was legalized tomorrow - I can guarantee it. Lawyers are NOTORIOUS for being potheads...I know 2 that can't get enough of the shit. So...ummm...yeah. What you said isn't true. ;-)

Kudos to those of you who don't smoke, though. Don't get me wrong...I'm not an advocate for smoking pot - I'm an advocate for getting the fucking government away from our freedoms.

- Shane


Last edited by MessiahCarey on Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:43 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jesus Frank



Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 2301
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
 Reply with quote  

that's a very strange thing to say. obviously people wouldn't let people operate on them UNDER INFLUENCE. but that wasn't the point of this article, and no-one even said anything like that, so i don't see why you would say such a thing.

edit: oh.... haha, this was in reference to the dallasbboy post before. i was browsing other places in-between posting, so this one was a little outdated when i finally did post. nevermind then


Last edited by Jesus Frank on Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:46 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
duke_city



Joined: 05 Jul 2002
Posts: 3208
Location: San Diego,CA
 Reply with quote  

MessiahCarey wrote:
dallasbboy wrote:

My previous post was pretty stupid, nobody who smokes marijuana could ever aspire to the likes of a pilot or surgeon. My mistake.


????

Wow. How about owning your own house, car, and being the Network Administrator at a multimillion dollar company? Could that happen to someone who smokes marijuana? Oh yeah...it does.

Or an air traffic controller? Oh yeah...it did.

It's not the drug, it's the people that make the choices of what they aspire to - don't try and place the blame on an inanimate object just because maybe some of your friends or family didn't have the desire to do anything with their lives (I'm just guessing here...I could be wrong obviously as I don't know you).

But as long as you have these misconceptions, I ain't mad atcha. It's easy to be deceived, there's billions of dollars put into making it happen every year.

- Shane


Shane two words for you buddy.

Drug Test.

In the US you can't be the CEO or part of any professional organization without a PASS.

Brian
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:48 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
MessiahCarey



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 10924
 Reply with quote  

dallasbboy wrote:
MessiahCarey wrote:
dallasbboy wrote:

My previous post was pretty stupid, nobody who smokes marijuana could ever aspire to the likes of a pilot or surgeon. My mistake.


????

Wow. How about owning your own house, car, and being the Network Administrator at a multimillion dollar company? Could that happen to someone who smokes marijuana? Oh yeah...it does.

Or an air traffic controller? Oh yeah...it did.

It's not the drug, it's the people that make the choices of what they aspire to - don't try and place the blame on an inanimate object just because maybe some of your friends or family didn't have the desire to do anything with their lives (I'm just guessing here...I could be wrong obviously as I don't know you).

But as long as you have these misconceptions, I ain't mad atcha. It's easy to be deceived, there's billions of dollars put into making it happen every year.

- Shane


Shane two word for you buddy.

Drug Test.

In the US you can't be the CEO or part of any professional organization without a PASS.

Brian


Ummm....I am the Network Administrator.

A co-worker is the former Air Traffic Controller (his boss suggested pot because it eased the stress of the job)

And each company sets their drug testing policies individually - my company doesn't test, although the air traffic place obviously did...there are ways around a drug test, homie.

"In the US you can't be the CEO or part of any professional organization without a PASS."

Are you fucking SERIOUS? Ummm....no. You can be the CEO without a drug test. Just because you own a company doesn't mean the government can test you for drugs! Are you insane? WOW...I want to know where you heard this. Point out the law to me if you think it's real. I gotta see this shit. Explain why the CEO of my company doesn't get drug tested, as well, if this is in fact the way things are.


Last edited by MessiahCarey on Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:50 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
duke_city



Joined: 05 Jul 2002
Posts: 3208
Location: San Diego,CA
 Reply with quote  

MessiahCarey wrote:

Ummm....I am the Network Administrator.

A co-worker is the former Air Traffic Controller (his boss suggested pot because it eased the stress of the job)

And each company sets their drug testing policies individually - my company doesn't test, although the air traffic place obviously did...there are ways around a drug test, homie.


Thats nice but you are the exception, of course there are ways to circumvent the law thanks for your awesome insight though.

Brian
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:53 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
MessiahCarey



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 10924
 Reply with quote  

dallasbboy wrote:
MessiahCarey wrote:

Ummm....I am the Network Administrator.

A co-worker is the former Air Traffic Controller (his boss suggested pot because it eased the stress of the job)

And each company sets their drug testing policies individually - my company doesn't test, although the air traffic place obviously did...there are ways around a drug test, homie.


Thats nice but you are the exception, of course there are ways to circumvent the law thanks for your awesome insight though.

Brian


It's not the law. You are wrong, and the burden of proof lies on you. I have given several examples to the contrary.

If you were to say that people are less LIKELY to be able to land a job I would agree with you - that's common sense...but to say that you HAVE to be drug tested if you are the CEO of a company or part of any professional organization (umm...like mine and I smoke everyday) is pure fucking stupidity and you'll have to prove it.
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:54 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
duke_city



Joined: 05 Jul 2002
Posts: 3208
Location: San Diego,CA
 Reply with quote  

MessiahCarey wrote:

Are you fucking SERIOUS? Ummm....no. You can be the CEO without a drug test. Just because you own a company doesn't mean the government can test you for drugs! Are you insane? WOW...I want to know where you heard this. Point out the law to me if you think it's real. I gotta see this shit. Explain why the CEO of my company doesn't get drug tested, as well, if this is in fact the way things are.


Unless you own your own company you work your way up through the lower ranks of managment to become a CEO. There is no law specifically but in most engineering/scientific R&D jobs today they all require drug tests. I've had to take them on all 4 jobs I've had since I graduated college.

Brian
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:56 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mortalthoughts
LAME KID


Joined: 12 Dec 2002
Posts: 11613
Location: MI
 Reply with quote  


Quote:

1619! I hope you understand that the marijuana of almost 400 years ago and whats being grown and consumed today is totally different. Not nearly as potent, resilient, or robust.



more potent=less smoke in the lungs
= not AS bad for you


how is that not a 'better' thing for us potheads
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:57 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
MessiahCarey



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 10924
 Reply with quote  

dallasbboy wrote:
MessiahCarey wrote:

Are you fucking SERIOUS? Ummm....no. You can be the CEO without a drug test. Just because you own a company doesn't mean the government can test you for drugs! Are you insane? WOW...I want to know where you heard this. Point out the law to me if you think it's real. I gotta see this shit. Explain why the CEO of my company doesn't get drug tested, as well, if this is in fact the way things are.


Unless you own your own company you work your way up through the lower ranks of managment to become a CEO. There is no law specifically but in most engineering/scientific R&D jobs today they all require drug tests. I've had to take them on all 4 jobs I've had since I graduated college.

Brian


Thank you. So what you said WASN'T correct.

It should have been worded "If you smoke marijuana, the likelyhood of landing a good job is decreased." What you said implied something entirely different - as if there was some sort of law.

Someone who smokes pot can be anything and everything someone who doesn't smoke pot can be. I know this because I'm one of those people, and I know many others as well that have successful jobs and smoke on a regular basis...not to mention the doctors I've met (not surgeons) that smoke occasionally.

I'm just telling you - you're taking shots in the dark here...the reality of how the drug affects you vs. the reality of people's desires to succeed are not always interrelated...if someone is going to throw their life away for pot it could have just as easily been alcohol or sex.

- Shane
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:01 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kese



Joined: 16 Mar 2003
Posts: 5454
 Reply with quote  

woah you had your ass handed to you dallas...

Last edited by kese on Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:16 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
duke_city



Joined: 05 Jul 2002
Posts: 3208
Location: San Diego,CA
 Reply with quote  

MessiahCarey wrote:
Thank you. So what you said WASN'T correct.

It should have been worded "If you smoke marijuana, the likelyhood of landing a good job is decreased." What you said implied something entirely different - as if there was some sort of law.

Someone who smokes pot can be anything and everything someone who doesn't smoke pot can be. I know this because I'm one of those people, and I know many others as well that have successful jobs and smoke on a regular basis...not to mention the doctors I've met (not surgeons) that smoke occasionally.

I'm just telling you - you're taking shots in the dark here...the reality of how the drug affects you vs. the reality of people's desires to succeed are not always interrelated...if someone is going to throw their life away for pot it could have just as easily been alcohol or sex.

- Shane


Not to put a guff in your career prowess but network admin? I know kids straight out of high school that are network administrators. Who do you think designed and developed all the technology (routers, servers, software etc...) you manage?

People like me do. I worked for Cisco and Nortel both companies require drug tests.

So that invalidates this completely


Quote:


Someone who smokes pot can be anything and everything someone who doesn't smoke pot can be.


If you smoke pot you don't work for Cisco which owns nearly all IP products.

Poll the bulk of marijuana users and you will find the majority are not successful in honest careers or nearly as financially indepedent as non pot smokers.

If you honestly disagree with this you are kidding yourself.

Brian


Last edited by duke_city on Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:16 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mortalthoughts
LAME KID


Joined: 12 Dec 2002
Posts: 11613
Location: MI
 Reply with quote  

what is an 'honest career' seems to me in anycareer you gotta kiss the right asses
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:18 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:05 pm
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon