Search
Register
Is Esoteric directing this to Sage?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

td3

Is Esoteric directing this to Sage?  Reply with quote  

"I am not listening to that psuedo intellectual hug rap, I'll tell you that. You know, that shit people lump in with us as underground hip-hop....the rapper starts with the fake poetic self-deprocating bullshit- "oh all I ever wanted was a hug, the gleam of my father's eye was more like a shrug, my tree of life was more like a shrub, you didn't have to kick me down the stairs." Some bullshit like that. Fuck that, this is hip-hop. R-A-P. Respect the fucking craft. Just because your shit is "experimental" doesn't mean it's good, kid. My girl makes experimental brownies every night and they suck. But then there will be that nerd in the trucker hat who eats them to be different." - Eso

sounds like it to me.. thats corney
td3
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:45 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
August Spies

id take psuedo-intellectual lyrics over moronically stupid lyrics anyday (its getting hot in herre!)
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:48 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
geoffwalker

"...my tree of life was more than a shrub."

i kinda like that line. probably not the direction you wanted this thread to take but i think it's kinda cool.

he may be, but i think it's mostly directed at the whole genre of "nerd rap".
who fucking cares though? don't instigate internet beef...
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:49 pm
td3

bro, im not instigating "internet beef"

this is very relavant to this message board

sorry im not asking what your favorite 10 rappers are

td3
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:51 pm
Dee

I think maybe if I thought Eso's music was anything to write home about, I'd consider his opinion.

Honestly, I've never found his and 7Ls stuff to be all that ... good.

But I also hate anticon, so around here....my opinion? blah.

Last edited by Dee on Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:54 pm
Homemade_Pickles

I think Esoteric is talking about smart-rap (or "nerd" rap if you want it in a derogatory way) and yes, that includes Sage, Eyedea, Slug, etc. The Soul Purpose was dope, but that Dangerous Connection shit is kind of weak. Eso needs to restablish his flow.

Esoteric is one of my favorite emcees, no doubt, his shit gets equal play next to my Aesop Rock, Sage, and Slug tapes. But for him to say shit like that, there is going to be some reciprocation. And hey, trucker hats has gotten me a lot of girls lately...

Big-ups to EL-P for making trucker hats sexually stimulating to the female eye, LOL.

Peace
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:56 pm
geoffwalker

yes you are... it is relevent, but just by posting it you're going to get a lot of people's panties in a bunch and then they'll wander around talk about the "Sage and Esoteric" beef. it'd be nice if it didn't work that way but it does
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:56 pm
futuristxen

Making honest lyrics is sooooo "experimental".
It seems like his point is way too scattered. I think he hits on maybe 4 diffrent things but treats them the same.

the fuck is "nerd" rap anyway?

okay my brain is fried maybe, but "all I ever wanted was a hug"...isn't that part of a Sage lyric? I know I've heard that somewhere if it isn't.

Either way, esoteric needs to respect the cock.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:59 pm
Homemade_Pickles

Can anyone give a good defintion of smart (nerd) rap? I decided to write one for the dudes hatin' over at emceebattles.com, but I ended up writing and posting a 3-page thesis paper defining and defending it, motherfuckers.

Wasn't Esoteric participating in the Super Bowl '99 that Sage won?

Peace
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:08 pm
Satyre

futuristxen wrote:
"all I ever wanted was a hug"...isn't that part of a Sage lyric?

Yes, it's from teh Re-write...
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:15 pm
Dee

Here's my complete take.

I like sage's shit a lot. Would I want all MCs to do the same kind of shit? Hell no. Similarly, I don't like hearing the same shit on the radio every day.

Balance. Balance is whats important. I want some "nerd" rap, some thug rap, some old school rap, even some bling rap.

So in that sense, I guess what Eso sees is a whole huge fan base for this nerd rap, and I guess he's worried about it taking over....

My answer is he should stop bitching and make music that he thinks will outbalance that...Otherwise he's just complaining, and thats fucking annoying.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:19 pm
Tony@Beyond Space

they dig all the above mentioned artists music. sage intrduced me to them at scribble and they were talking for awhile so im 99% sure it in noway is directed at sage...
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:20 pm
August Spies

Nerd rap? as far as I can tell it is artsy or introspecticve or intellectual or sci-fiish raps done by white people.

I saw white people cause ive yet to hear anyone attack Kool Keith, or hieroglyphics or deltron 3030 etc... as nerd rap.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:21 pm
Dee

Anti Pop Consortium is nerd rap. So is Del.

Kool Keith isn't really nerd rap...he's crazy motherfucker rap.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:34 pm
futuristxen

djdee2005 wrote:
Here's my complete take.

I like sage's shit a lot. Would I want all MCs to do the same kind of shit? Hell no. Similarly, I don't like hearing the same shit on the radio every day.

Balance. Balance is whats important. I want some "nerd" rap, some thug rap, some old school rap, even some bling rap.

So in that sense, I guess what Eso sees is a whole huge fan base for this nerd rap, and I guess he's worried about it taking over....

My answer is he should stop bitching and make music that he thinks will outbalance that...Otherwise he's just complaining, and thats fucking annoying.

I'll co-sign this.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:38 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next