Search
Register
Why are you vegan??
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

The_Human

bluntedinmichigan wrote:
are you avoiding answering my question the human? :)

I answered that in the above post to Fuse. :)
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:12 pm
MessiahCarey

Re: .  Reply with quote  

The_Human wrote:
I eat meat because it tastes good.

Human flesh tastes good. It's more tender than the average steak, too.

Just because something tastes good doesn't make it morally acceptable.

If however, you aspire for personal satisfaction above moral gratification - that's on you. We don't.

- Shane
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:15 pm
The_Human

MessiahCarey wrote:
The_Human wrote:

If however, you aspire for personal satisfaction above moral gratification - that's on you. We don't.

- Shane

Well said. I understand what your saying.

Now this will be easily critisized but if you wont kill an animal then why will you kill a plant?? Your still killing life[this is not the, plants feel pain too argument so dont classify it that way].

I understand that its all about your personal limits. Where they begin and where they end. Its different for everyone but I want to know why yours stop where they do.

The main question is moral gratification then, what exactly is that to you??
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:38 pm
FoNiKs

I became vegan because I looked into an animals eyes and I saw purity and innocence, 2 qualities we all possessed as children. I don't want to support the suffering of innocent creatures through factory farming, experimental testing or wearing them, so I don't. I am vegan
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:48 pm
emynd

Just for the record, I eat meat and I care more about eating meat then I do about a chicken's life. I like how chickens taste more then I like how they live. Feel me?
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:59 pm
Reggie

The_Human wrote:
Yeah that could be true, and it definitely is a stereotype to tie veganism in with that.

My point is that I see a lot of people turning vegan because it is the 'cool' thing to do now days.

Obviously there are exceptions and apparently everyone here thinks they are the exception.

I am not a vegan. However, veganism has been around for a long time. Vegetarianism has been around much longer. More likely, you and/or your peers are approaching an age (probably early twenties) where you can make personal decisions without infracting on parental guidance. Some people have personally decided to go vegan, and this might annoy you for a variety of reasons. It is not, however, an absolute. There is no worldwide conspiracy of coffee shop vegans. This is something happening to you--mostly in your mind--and you alone.

In fact, meat-eaters are the minority worldwide, but that's because in many countries, meat is not easy to come by. Meat-eating, however, is not in any great danger and people will continue to eat meat for years after you die.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:03 pm
skateslc

"meat is murder, and murder tastes gooooooood!!!!!!'
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:44 pm
Awww mn

Reggie wrote:

Why do you lie? Why do you pretend that you are just solicitiing opinions when you come armed with your own agenda? Why do you generalize people into stereotypes? What "current trend erupting all over the world" are you talking about? Isn't it true that you are, in fact, talking about a local phenomenon that simply annoys you and which you have cast a huge generality about for no reason? Why do you say you are not criticizing being vegan and then go on to criticize being vegan a few words later? It is because you're a hypocrite? Why do you say believing in God is baseless as if this is a given absolute fact? Is it because you're an effette, holier-than-thou member of the literati that thinks he's got the meaning of life sewed up better than the far more qualified and learned thinkers of the past?

I don't like you or your poorly-contructed arguments. You think you are a deep thinker, but you make broad generalizations that taint your arguments. This is not only true of this post but of nearly every thread you have started. Also, your poetry is banal and asinine.
i couldn't have said it better. it's nice to see others on this board see through you and yr. half-thought out arguments.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:06 pm
The_Human

awww damn wrote:
Reggie wrote:

Why do you lie? Why do you pretend that you are just solicitiing opinions when you come armed with your own agenda? Why do you generalize people into stereotypes? What "current trend erupting all over the world" are you talking about? Isn't it true that you are, in fact, talking about a local phenomenon that simply annoys you and which you have cast a huge generality about for no reason? Why do you say you are not criticizing being vegan and then go on to criticize being vegan a few words later? It is because you're a hypocrite? Why do you say believing in God is baseless as if this is a given absolute fact? Is it because you're an effette, holier-than-thou member of the literati that thinks he's got the meaning of life sewed up better than the far more qualified and learned thinkers of the past?

I don't like you or your poorly-contructed arguments. You think you are a deep thinker, but you make broad generalizations that taint your arguments. This is not only true of this post but of nearly every thread you have started. Also, your poetry is banal and asinine.
i couldn't have said it better.

Ive been waiting for that, I just expected it a lot earlier. And where is Surge anyways.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:08 pm
Awww mn

do you start moronic threads to get a rise out of people? uh.."i'm not critisizing, but they are trendy coffee house poetry reading types." fucking nonsense.

i can't wait for you to backpedal and declare that you were "only joking" which you seem to revert to when you realize you made yet another idiotic generalization.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:13 pm
MessiahCarey

The_Human wrote:
MessiahCarey wrote:
The_Human wrote:

- Shane

Now this will be easily critisized but if you wont kill an animal then why will you kill a plant?? Your still killing life[this is not the, plants feel pain too argument so dont classify it that way].

I understand that its all about your personal limits. Where they begin and where they end. Its different for everyone but I want to know why yours stop where they do.

Plants lack the ability to make decisions. Everything is a result of external cues with no cognitive thought put into it.

Plants can keep growing and be cultivated...thus there is an immeasurable supply of them...

There are a million reasons why eating plants are superior to eating meat...

But for me it comes down to what I will do with my own 2 hands. I will not slice a cow's throat - so I won't regularly pay someone else to do it.

I'm not like...the veggienazi or anything - I enjoy the occasional sushi dinner. I don't like being told what to do by anyone, even me. Heh. But I do feel better now that I don't give $5.00 a day to the people that slice throats for a living.

- Shane
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:18 pm
The_Human

Lets hear your thoughts on veganism. Id love to hear your well thought out opinions.

And no I wasnt joking about coffee shop vegans. But it seems the only ones getting pissed off ARE coffee shop vegans.

The other vegans/vegeterians are happy to explain there beliefs. Plenty of people have expressed there views without a problem.

The ones who have a problem are the ones who dont know why there vegan and they feel threatened by me asking.

Same thing goes for religion. Thats why I made that comparison.

Just my interpretation so BRING ON THE CRITISISM!!!!!
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:19 pm
The_Human

MessiahCarey wrote:
The_Human wrote:
MessiahCarey wrote:
The_Human wrote:

- Shane

Plants lack the ability to make decisions. Everything is a result of external cues with no cognitive thought put into it.

Plants can keep growing and be cultivated...thus there is an immeasurable supply of them...

There are a million reasons why eating plants are superior to eating meat...

But for me it comes down to what I will do with my own 2 hands. I will not slice a cow's throat - so I won't regularly pay someone else to do it.

I'm not like...the veggienazi or anything - I enjoy the occasional sushi dinner. I don't like being told what to do by anyone, even me. Heh. But I do feel better now that I don't give $5.00 a day to the people that slice throats for a living.

- Shane

Works for me. Thanks Messiah.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:21 pm
Reggie

The_Human wrote:
And no I wasnt joking about coffee shop vegans. But it seems the only ones getting pissed off ARE coffee shop vegans.

Wrong. I am neither a vegan (or a vegetarian, for that matter) nor do I associate with the bohemian crowd. I take great offense to your generalizations, though, because they smack of bigotry. Dismissing people as "coffee shop vegans" is akin to assuming something about someone because they have black skin.

I am not saying it is the same thing, but what if this thread started, "Why do all black people eat fried chicken?" Would that be okay with you?
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:22 pm
Awww mn

steak is my friend  Reply with quote  

The_Human wrote:

oh my sweet sweet jesus. yet another broad generalization. please get some brains.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:26 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next