Profile
Search
Register
Log in
Why are you vegan??
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Author Message
Krang
THE ORC BREATH


Joined: 18 Jan 2003
Posts: 811
Location: NSW, australia
 Reply with quote  

We can definately eat meat.

But i read this study which basically said all throughout history we pretty much only ate meat for big celebrations, and before winter when we had to kill off the livestock.

So basically we didnt eat it that often, but we ate it.

Now with fast food etc etc we're eating so much meat that we're gonna run out of water from growing the grain to feed the animals to eat, thus dooming humanity.

So there are rational thoughts to becoming a vegan aside from just moral thoughts.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:46 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
The_Human



Joined: 30 Jan 2003
Posts: 1693
 Reply with quote  

You know whats funny?? The trend that I see on this board. The first response to my post was negative so the rest of you dont want to look "uncool" to your peers or in any way resemble that you have a mind of your own so you have to hop on the band wagon and start bashing.....

Anyways I was asking the vegans, not the assholes.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:05 am
 View user's profile Send private message
Reggie



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 5765
Location: Queens, NYC
 Reply with quote  

The_Human wrote:
You know whats funny?? The trend that I see on this board. The first response to my post was negative so the rest of you dont want to look "uncool" to your peers or in any way resemble that you have a mind of your own so you have to hop on the band wagon and start bashing.....

Anyways I was asking the vegans, not the assholes.


No, your first post was completely moronic and loaded with intent. The only "trend" here is you being unable to express yourself clearly.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:08 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
am01ne



Joined: 23 Apr 2003
Posts: 563
Location: Cybertron
 Reply with quote  

Krang wrote:
But i read this study which basically said all throughout history we pretty much only ate meat for big celebrations



Hmmm... that must've been written by some sort of stupid person.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:16 am
 View user's profile Send private message
FuseONE



Joined: 11 Jul 2002
Posts: 1715
Location: Newark, DE
.  Reply with quote  

How do you expect people to act when you patronize them with thinly veiled, condescending threads?

"You aren't making a damn bit of difference."

"As of yet, I havent heard anyone give a good reason as to why they are vegan." What kind of bullshit is this? Some people just don't like eating meat. I want YOU to give ME a good reason why a vegetarian has to justify a damn thing about his or her eating habits. I was vegetarian for awhile, and it's cause of people like you that I stopped trying to explain myself. It's fucking pointless, because I realized that for some bizarre reason, wanting to eat healthier is seen as weak or strange by certain people. Why that is, I will never figure out. And what do poetry or coffehouses have to do with anything? I think you have some kind of complex. "Look at me, I think anyone whose a vegetarian, goes to a coffehouses, or does poetry is weird or less of a man, and maybe if I post something about it, I'll get cool points from my fellow neanderthals who are slowing down evolution!"
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:55 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
shaunxcore



Joined: 06 Jul 2002
Posts: 40
straight up  Reply with quote  

In regards to the "we can so we should" argument I dont even need to start dismantling this but does this imply because we are capable of violence we should and even need to use this ability?

Also in regards to constantly having to defend yourself for being vegetarian/vegan; I think its a good thing as it should drive you to really question your intentions and beliefs and hopefully if they are true to build them on a foundation that only gets stronger and expands with time.

Once again anyone really interested in the argument get "Rethinking life and death"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0312144016/qid=1056642566/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-9938043-2028006?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
its like 10 bucks and after reading it you will have a lot to think about and even more to discuss :-).
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:57 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
The_Human



Joined: 30 Jan 2003
Posts: 1693
Re: .  Reply with quote  

FuseONE wrote:
fellow neanderthals who are slowing down evolution!"



That would have been enough, theres your reason right there.

If your vegan and you dont want to justify it then dont reply. Im not critisizing im just curious.

And I was refering to the current trend erupting all over the world with 'coffee shop' comment.

Just trying to understand it I guess.

If you cant explain it, maybe you should rethink it.

EDIT: My real concern with this all is that I get this feeling that being vegan is just as baseless as believing in god. Thats just my opinion so nobody needs to freak out. I posted this to see if somebody could change my mind, or at the very least get some useful insight, but that hasnt happened yet.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:59 am
 View user's profile Send private message
Reggie



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 5765
Location: Queens, NYC
Re: .  Reply with quote  

The_Human wrote:


That would have been enough, theres your reason right there.

If your vegan and you dont want to justify it then dont reply. Im not critisizing im just curious.

And I was refering to the current trend erupting all over the world with 'coffee shop' comment.

Just trying to understand it I guess.

If you cant explain it, maybe you should rethink it.

EDIT: My real concern with this all is that I get this feeling that being vegan is just as baseless as believing in god. Thats just my opinion so nobody needs to freak out. I posted this to see if somebody could change my mind, or at the very least get some useful insight, but that hasnt happened yet.


Why do you lie? Why do you pretend that you are just solicitiing opinions when you come armed with your own agenda? Why do you generalize people into stereotypes? What "current trend erupting all over the world" are you talking about? Isn't it true that you are, in fact, talking about a local phenomenon that simply annoys you and which you have cast a huge generality about for no reason? Why do you say you are not criticizing being vegan and then go on to criticize being vegan a few words later? It is because you're a hypocrite? Why do you say believing in God is baseless as if this is a given absolute fact? Is it because you're an effette, holier-than-thou member of the literati that thinks he's got the meaning of life sewed up better than the far more qualified and learned thinkers of the past?

I don't like you or your poorly-contructed arguments. You think you are a deep thinker, but you make broad generalizations that taint your arguments. This is not only true of this post but of nearly every thread you have started. Also, your poetry is banal and asinine.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:22 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
shaunxcore



Joined: 06 Jul 2002
Posts: 40
look dude  Reply with quote  

I have debated this on the internet before and honestly its one of many topics that just ends up being a waste of energy. If you are sincerely interested in rational veganism read the book I recomended. Truth of the matter is a lot of people wont be able to "justify" it to you because a lot of times it is a passionate/gut instinct decision which hopefully later blossoms into something deeper. For a lot of people it does come down to sanctity of life which, as you alluded to, is as irrational as "god" per se.

But if you sincerely want to start a proper debate lets start here. Answer the following: what is the difference between the life of a human and the life of another animal? Rationally I dont see any other than on a superficial level its easier to relate to human life. I guess thats why silence of the lambs and shit like that doesnt bother me.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:31 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
FuseONE



Joined: 11 Jul 2002
Posts: 1715
Location: Newark, DE
.  Reply with quote  

If I can't explain it, maybe I should rethink it? What kind of reasoning is that? I don't know why all this extra crap is tied to being a vegetarian anyway. I was eating meat constantly, my body felt like shit, I stopped eating it, and it helped. If you don't think that's a good enough reason, then too damn bad. How about you explain why you eat meat? I'd like to know.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:42 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mortalthoughts
LAME KID


Joined: 12 Dec 2002
Posts: 11616
Location: MI
 Reply with quote  

are you avoiding answering my question the human? :)
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
The_Human



Joined: 30 Jan 2003
Posts: 1693
Re: .  Reply with quote  

[quote="Reggie"][quote="The_Human"]

Why do you generalize people into stereotypes? What "current trend erupting all over the world" are you talking about? Isn't it true that you are, in fact, talking about a local phenomenon that simply annoys you and which you have cast a huge generality about for no reason? [quote]


Yeah that could be true, and it definitely is a stereotype to tie veganism in with that.

My point is that I see a lot of people turning vegan because it is the 'cool' thing to do now days.

Obviously there are exceptions and apparently everyone here thinks they are the exception.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:47 am
 View user's profile Send private message
The_Human



Joined: 30 Jan 2003
Posts: 1693
Re: look dude  Reply with quote  

shaunxcore wrote:

But if you sincerely want to start a proper debate lets start here. Answer the following: what is the difference between the life of a human and the life of another animal? Rationally I dont see any other than on a superficial level its easier to relate to human life. I guess thats why silence of the lambs and shit like that doesnt bother me.



To me there is a huge difference but I definitely understand that thinking.


Have you ever stepped on a spider?? Thats different than killing a person.

And if you want to get EXTREMELY crazy on that line of thinking than what about when you you a disinfectent??

Your killing life everytime you walk. Some draw the line at people, some draw the line at beef.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:50 am
 View user's profile Send private message
MessiahCarey



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 10924
 Reply with quote  

Some of us avoid killing insects (although a spider isn't technically an insect)...however if an insect is to die as a result of my walking - that's the nature of things and it is happenstance, not a directed attempt at killing something.

Actually, I got "repremanded" at work the other day...

I walked in and the receptionist was FLIPPING OUT because there was a spider on her desk.

"Kill it! ARRRGGGH!!!!"

So I looked and I laughed, said "No, thanks. I don't kill stuff" and started to walk away...

"SHANNNNNEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! KILL THIS THING!!!!!!!!"

"Excuse me? Are you really sitting there screaming for me to KILL something? I don't kill things. If you want it dead so badly, you can kill it yourself."

-------fast forward to later...

"Why were you rude to Michelle?"
"She asked me to kill something, and I kind of find that morally objectionable."
"It was a spider."
"Quite frankly, I don't give a shit what it was. I told her I don't kill things and she persisted. I wasn't rude to her, I explained that I don't kill things and I did it calmly. Is there anything else you'd like to address with me besides the problem this company seems to have with my lack of a desire to destroy life?"
"Ummm....no."
"Then I will apologize to Michelle in case she thought I was rude, but I don't see myself murdering anything anytime soon so it might behoove anyone else that might ask me to do so to hold their tongue so we can avoid this crap"

Then back to work.

<shrug>

- Shane
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:03 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
The_Human



Joined: 30 Jan 2003
Posts: 1693
Re: .  Reply with quote  

FuseONE wrote:
I was eating meat constantly, my body felt like shit, I stopped eating it, and it helped. If you don't think that's a good enough reason, then too damn bad. How about you explain why you eat meat? I'd like to know.



Thats plenty of a reason, all I was looking for. Should have started with this post.

I eat meat because it tastes good.

If you argument for being vegan is that meat tastes sick or that it looks gross or it is unappetizing in some way then why the soy burgers that are emulating the exact thing that you hate??
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:11 pm
 View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:57 am
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon