Search
Register
"Ban White People From Hip-Hop"
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Solomon Klepto

by the Way  Reply with quote  

on the Topic of Race and Racism, My parents are Greek and down here they call us Wogs ( a term given to ethnics ) which pretty much means foreign disease... The funny thing is Weve been called Wogs for so long that We proudly call ourselves Wogs now days.... Even Me.... I guess when You are continually called somethin it grows on Ya, no matter what it is.... But after a while I felt foolish proudly callin Myself a " Foreign Disease" so I gave the word Wog an Acronym : Worthy Of GOD.... Anyways jus thought Id share that with Ya's, seein that we are encountering the topic of Racism on this thread.... Bottom Line.... It exists everywhere.....
Sol Klep
Post Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:43 am
Solomon Klepto

by the Way  Reply with quote  

on the Topic of Race and Racism, My parents are Greek and down here they call us Wogs ( a term given to ethnics ) which pretty much means foreign disease... The funny thing is Weve been called Wogs for so long that We proudly call ourselves Wogs now days.... Even Me.... I guess when You are continually called somethin it grows on Ya, no matter what it is.... But after a while I felt foolish proudly callin Myself a " Foreign Disease" so I gave the word Wog an Acronym : Worthy Of GOD.... Anyways jus thought Id share that with Ya's, seein that we are encountering the topic of Racism on this thread.... Bottom Line.... It exists everywhere.....
Sol Klep
Post Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:44 am
Notch

Yeah yeah yeah...  Reply with quote  

Y'all white folks make me laugh. Its common knowledge that some of you just dont get it, but its never more apperent than when you get to bitch online.

First off let me give respect to Sage. I personally think he gets it.

True, I'm new to this spot. I actually roll with a crew that ya'll probly love but thats beside the point.

I just dropped by and noticed a common theme in alot of the posts... Y'all are all white. Dont get me wrong though, that isnt inherently a bad thing. Then I noticed somthing else...alot of y'all are stupid. That IS bad.
Keyboard courage is a phenominon that facinates me so I read even the most ignorent of your posts and had to laugh to myself.

Alow me the honor to shed a bit of light here. HIP HOP IS BLACK CULTURE.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know. I can imagine how it makes you feel to see those words In a spot thats supposed to be your safe place to vent. I'm happy to remind you.

Oh, you say: "but white people Invented english so hip hop is in our language so we really invented it!!!" <--- Yeah, sure Opie. Spit that verse where you rep Mayberry again!

As for white emcees, (or to put it better, emcees who are white) I can dig it. Matter of fact some of my closest friends are white emcees :wink:
One of the more ignorent amoung you made reference to an emcee by the name of ALIAS who is in my crew (by the way, Ali would slap the shit from you for that reference).

For those of you new jacks who discovered hip hop when your mom got cable heres a news flash...
Hip Hop is a culture wich is indelably connected to the black experience period. The same as the presidency is inseperable from white culture.

Does that mean white people cant emcee? C'mon dude!?!? Dont be dumb. It just means now whites have the opportunity to feel what its like to be a part of a culture whos history and rules were built for and by Black people.

Thats why I find it funny when you all bitch about the Nelly's and the Jah Rules. Cause you dont have a right to complain, black people define hip hop culture. It probly pisses you off that somone as talented as Eminem only got on cause Dre cosigned his shit. C'mon kid dont front. I would make the proverbal reference to that fag Elvis Presley but Eminem put it pretty well. (dont act like you dont know the line). Sure, 90% of our music is purchased by white folks, no doubt! Good looking out!!!

Incidently, that 90% of music purchased would account for 90% of the white emcees that exist now cause it damn sure aint cause you grew up with it (respect to those that did).

I know alot of your hostility and ignorence stems from the that devilish impulse to steak claim on all things. (An image of neal armstrong placing an american flag on the f'n moon comes to mind) However, it delights me to see you dissapointed with this one. Put up as many posts as your little heart desires, you will never own hip hop. :D

Dont wet it though my freinds, what it comes down to is Respect! To love hip hop is to love black culture. Why are you so scared of that? You didnt see that one black kid in your history class complaining when he was given a book full of white hero's did you? (ok maybe you did, Oh well)

Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 3:55 am
Soul Khansenses

wait wait wait wait  Reply with quote  

Crazy Legs and CES are Black? :?

I don't think it's fair to even classify hip hop as strictly Black culture because it's more diverse in it's origin. Unless you're pals with every kid who grew up in the Bronx in the early 70's, I don't think it's fair for you to limit it in such a way with certainty. Hip hop belongs to all races, and a simple majority among its participants doesn't entitle anyone the right to claim it as part of their culture alone. Even if it were devised by one man, like Kool Herc, it was cultivated by many races, and therefore, has become the spawn of people of all ethnicities.

So, wait, Alias from Anticon is in your crew?

"Thats why I find it funny when you all bitch about the Nelly's and the Jah Rules. Cause you dont have a right to complain, black people define hip hop culture."

No, I do have a right to complain, because it's still bad music. Regardless of what you call it, it's wack and repetitive. Do I have to go through every line of Nellyville to prove it to you? The beats are retarded, too! If it isn't one Neptune track, probably using the identical pattern from their last hit, it's something that Irv Gotti pawned off of Puffy's crew, with a less inventive
rhythm. I can complain, white or not. It's blaring over the radio to people of ALL races. But then again, I spend far less time bitching then I do writing and trying to get my own shit off the ground, and I do not sound like some nasal fool with elevated diction but no clue on how to use it well.

"It probly pisses you off that somone as talented as Eminem only got on cause Dre cosigned his shit."

I don't give a platinum blond shit about who cosigned. It could have been Gerardo, recruiting Eminem for Interscope's Latin imprint, and it wouldn't matter to me. What bothers me is that he can create his own controversy, respond to it, and be hailed as a genius by the art press, who would scoff at tabloid news reporting. I see them as equivalents, except for Eminem's being presented in a more palatable way. You can listen to someone like Sage and derive something greater than what you can from Eminem.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:16 am
Notch

Yeah?  Reply with quote  

I just reveiwed some of the previous posts I missed and its not only clearer to me that alot of yall Dont get it (to put it nicely) Ya'll also seriously need to look up the definition of "CULTURE". .

Ya'll are even bad at being nerds so since I Know you wont look it up, Let me elighten you a bit...

CULTURE:

1. the arts collectively: art, music, literature, and related intellectual activities Culture is necessary for a healthy society.

2. knowledge and sophistication: enlightenment and sophistication acquired through education and exposure to the arts They are people of culture.

3. shared beliefs and values of a group: the beliefs, customs, practices, and social behavior of a particular nation or people Southeast Asian culture (or black culture)

4. people with shared beliefs and practices: a group of people whose shared beliefs and practices identify the particular place, class, or time to which they belong

5. shared attitudes: a particular set of attitudes that characterizes a group of people The company tries hard to avoid a blame culture.

Take a good look at the definintion COLECTIVLY. But pay close attention particularly to the fourth and fifth definition.

In order for music to RELATE at all it must have RELITAVE factors, Follow me? Yeah dude, Dont get it twisted HIP HOP was born of the BLACK EXPIRENCE that being the factor its based in. Its funny, some of you are already brainwashed to the point you dont know that. Once again, you white folks are hilarious, you have a memory span of about one year. Either that or your fucking new borns who swear you know whats happening. If you still dont get it, go listen to "hip hop" records about abercrombe and fitch, or refer to my previous post about that "Devilish impulse of yours".

News flash: before hip hop was popular WHITE PEOPLE HATED IT!!! By the way you show just how much of new jack you are (not to mention how ignorent) when you are unable to reference what hip hop was like BEFORE the 90's let alone 2000.

Shit, you idiots would say you invented the AFRO if you could grow one.

Once again, Why are you so afraid to admit you love black culture? Ya'll got the white house, dont be mad cause its not as effective. We rule hip hop Then, Now, and Till Ya'll fuck it up like rock and roll. Face the music.

Oh yeah, And my dog alias is actually from OVM. He's battle sage many times. By the way, we all know how wack nelly is. My point is, within the cypher of black culture, hes doing his thing. I dont complain about Billy Ray Cyris, I just dont listen to him.

Look Y'all admire Sage cause hes nice and you relate to him cause he's white. But I bet sage wouldnt argue that hip hop is black culture...1
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:15 am
Funcmastac

Of course hip hop is a part of black culture, i don't see how you can argue against that, thats where it originated. Just like reggie originated in jamiaca and thats the real roots of hip-hop. But I don't think it matters where it originated from. this preacher guy is sayin white folks are all stealing black culture though!? if anything he should be proud that the black culture has contributed something so wonderful to the world. I'm all about knowin your roots and being proud of who you are, but not to look down upon another group of people or automaticly classify people because they look like this. But thats what every single one of us do and we will continue to do until we wipe eachother out.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 3:56 pm
Soul Khansenses

no no no  Reply with quote  

My memory span probably will only take me as far as '87, but you didn't answer me:

Were Crazy Legs and CES Black?
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:49 pm
August Spies

some thoughts by a white boy:

Notch, I agree with a good deal of what you said however....

"Thats why I find it funny when you all bitch about the Nelly's and the Jah Rules. Cause you dont have a right to complain, black people define hip hop culture."

I don't buy this line. First off music is a public thing, you can say that Ja Rule is a part of black culture, sure he is. But he is just as much a part of MTV mainstream, and mostly white, culture. So why can't we complain?

Fuck I don' think any white person anywhere would say "black people can't complain about whtie musicians." its silly. Do black people define hip-hop. For the majority yes. It would be wrong of you to pretend that hip-hop is BLACK culture though. Hip hop started with other groups, such as latinos, and other groups have moved hip hop along. Like it or not, eminem or Cypress Hill define hip hop as much as Nelly and Ja rule. Now this is not to say that Hip hop isn't born from the black experience, or that hip hop isn't black culture. It just isn't exclusivly black culture and the way thigns are going, it may cease to be black culture and end up being just another sub-culture, but that may be years from now....

Hip-hop comes from black people as punk rock comes from white peoople but these things take a life of their own I think. Punk rock is its own subculture and hip hop is too. Punk rock, or hip hop, is defined by the people active within the subculture. Punk rock was defined by the bad brains (an all black band) just as much as hip hop was defined by the beastie boys. Personally I see nothing wrong with this. What I love about those scenes has little to do witht he ethnicity of the music but by the people and ideas involved. however, I do recognize that there is a difference in somethign born of whtie culture and of black culture when one is on some level being repressed.

------------

For better or for worse, the origins of something do not define the CURRENT REALITY of something. As you point out with Rock N Roll, it has origins in black culture, does that mean it IS black culture? Clearly not. Hip hop most certainly has heavy roots in black culture today, and leans towards it, but it does not mean it will stay that way forever. Again, for better or for worse.

-------------

Also (and I preface my following remarks by noting I am white and certainly don't see all angles of this issue) I feel like such broad racial generalizations are... well stupid in this day and age. Am I white? in some stupid sense yes. But I share absolutley nothing in commone with President bush. To pretend that we are the same because of our skin color.... well it isn't 1950 anymore. I feel odd saying that, since im probably one of the most anti-racist people I know... but the fact remains that most people, or most white people, don't think in broad racist terms anymore.

NOTE: I am not pretending racism doesn't exit, or that blacks are on an equal level with whites

However, I would claim that such problems are mostly the result of the rich white upper class.

Yes the upper class, which INSTITUTIONALIZEZS such problems is white. But they are not the same as the poor whites, or even most middle class whites. And they certainly aren't the same as punk rock whites (aka me). To classify me as white, in modern times, is to say nothing about me. This would not necessarly be true in the past, when such a gneralization would have more meaning perhaps, but in 2002 its unproductive...
--------------
PS: Sorry to say Notch, but nothing in your dictionary definitions prove Hip Hop is black culture. In fact it damages your claim. As you point out culture is COLLECTIVE. When 70% of hip hop is white, it ceases to be COLLECTIVLY black now doesn't it?

PPS (not directed at anyone really)
Also im rather sick of hip hop kids saying "oh you just like X becasue you got into hip hop in 2001" whatever. what a stupid insult... and its never true. ive been listening to hip hop for years, doesn't mean anticon don't kick ass or whatever.

PPPS: sorry for the legnth
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:26 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
August Spies

Soul Khansenses:

Although my last post obviosly disagrees with Notch, I also have to say merely because hip hop started with some people that weren't black (which obviosly it did) that hardly means it was not born of black culture.

Such terms NECESSARILY to be looked at as generalizations so it is not a matter of 100% of the founders of hip-hop being black for it to be born of the black experience.

Nor do 100% of haiku poems have to be written in Japan for it to be a japanese poetic style.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:29 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dee

Re: Yeah?  Reply with quote  

Notch wrote:
I dont complain about Billy Ray Cyris, I just dont listen to him.

Shit, go ahead and complain about Billy Ray Cyrus, I don't give a fuck. I know hip hop is black culture...I've been saying that for fucking ever. But you don't get to deny me the right to say fuckin Nelly is a piece of shit. ;)
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:32 pm
Bathtub

heck yeah  Reply with quote  

soul kan, that was true and correct. i feel almost all of that.
BLACK IS A COLOR not A CULTURE.
i do disgree with this.. "im not saying blacks are on the same level as whites"
everyone has an equal oppurtunity.
please everyone stop acting like they are supressed.
other than that...brilliant post.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:32 pm
Dee

Know how you can tell bathtub's whiter than my fucking bathtub?

Seriously, man, you obviously have no experience in the world....I've lived in a city thats got about an 1:1 ratio of blacks to whites, and its tought me some things....

THERE IS SUCH A THING AS BLACK CULTURE.
THERE IS SUCH A THING AS WHITE CULTURE.

Its funny to make fun of white culture, even as a white boy like myself, because its so everpresent, and so unaware of its own existence. Now, there are things I like about white culture. I can't really think of any right now, because the Hitler's Youth up in here keep making THINKING white people look bad, but I'm sure there are some good aspects. ;)

Seriously, man....I love hip hop, I love jazz, I love R&B, I like white artists, black artists...but I do my best to understand black culture, because I think its good for me to try to experience other worlds...Wonder Bread, the United States Flag, and Oppressing Innocent Peoples are all well and good, but I like learning about other cultures, trying to understand what the real world is like. Most people in the world don't live in "Forest-in-the-hills," or any of those other badass suburbs. And soul, man....ain't no soul in the suburbs.

I love music....I don't "wish I was black," at least not any more than I wish I was indian, mexican, etc....I get that shit a lot, at least when I leave my own town. But whatever, man....enjoy what you enjoy. I love hip hop. I like Nas, GZA, Jay-Z, etc. I don't really like Ja Rule, and I give him lots of shit, but I do that to every artist I don't like. Equal opportunity and all that shit.

Well, I've ranted enough.....time for all the "he thinks he's black" remarks from the white rap fans who surge to the white rap message boards.....

lol.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:44 pm
August Spies

Bathtub:

""im not saying blacks are on the same level as whites"
everyone has an equal oppurtunity. "

that is the biggest load of shit I have ever heard. The amount of brain washing it takes for someone to believe everyone has teh same oppurtunity in the modern world is astounding. If you honestly believe a poor black person living in the Bronx had the same opportunities as George Bush you are beyond repair.

djdee2005:

I disagree. I think there MAY be such a thing as black culture, blacks seem to be racially linked in a way that other races in america are not. But whites most certainly are not in some kind of omnipreasent WHITE CULTURE

AT BEST one could say there are many white CULTURES that different poeple belong to, but some poor southern Metal head is not of the same culture as a rich white nothener.

to claim such is to attach magical properties to skin tint.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:55 pm
Bathtub

HAHAHHAHA  Reply with quote  

HAHAHHAHAHAHA, thanks for being civilized though. but that post was hecka funny. i bet you have a krooshial tilt on your NY yankees hat right now, and your flossin some mecca, and lugz boots. either black or white, we are all just people, we are mammals, thats all we are, with different skin tones. so stop[ trying to make it seem like blacks are entitled to their own shit and own fashion and own culture. i lived in DC for 16 years. i dont like how blacks in the city acted. they were mean, racist , and violent. but that is off topic. sorry. but i dont believe in BLACK AS A CULTURE. its just a color. but blacks try and use their fashion and music as a way to segregate themselves from the rest of the world. ( sounds alittle racist to me)
disagree. hate me. label me. do as you please, but yo yo, i got mad scrilla producin' steez
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:57 pm
Dee

Well, what I've said is generalization....but for an African American, I think that from my understanding - again, a generalization, for this is an African American who is a part of Black Culture - there are two basic cultures. One which started out as oppressors, and those that were opressed. Some things have changed, but only on the surface. The deep seated and two-sided racism that has existed since slavery remains. When different cultures migrated to America, they were given the opportunity to join the majority culture; the Germans were eventually absorbed, the Irish, and yes, even many Jews are now being absorbed into American culture. (From an orthodox jew's perspective, there may be another side...jewish culture/religion vs. American(white, protestant) culture and religion.) Blacks were never given the option of being absorbed into white culture. They've been kept at a distance since slavery....and thats exactly what continues to happen.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:01 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next