Search
Register
"Ban White People From Hip-Hop"
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

kamereon

thanks alot...  Reply with quote  

i just watched the video, now i am physically sick...

and i wish that fat fuck would've shut up. he cut coolio off every time he spoke.

sorry if i accidently oppressed anyone,
adam
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:08 pm
Shylax

Kam,

Elvis, to the casual rock and roll fan, is considered the father and king of rock and roll. Not saying he is but that's the general image portrayed. Your depiction of him is right on.

And the Beasties weren't the first. I've seen many cats ,who hadn't put out singles, at clubs before but they dropped. I can't remember their names cause at the time (late 70's), rappers had names where you put your first name and a letter like "Johnny T" or " Bobby C". LOL. Just to prove the point though I'll throw Debbie Harry's "Rapture". She rapped on a record years before the Beasties did and she was white. Also Tina Marie's "Square biz". All 70's records. Granted not full time rappers but white rappers none the less.

I agree with you on some points but music does define a culture as well as environement. It affects language, clothes, dance, everything about that culture. In the late 70's, I grew up in the Bronx and my cousin lived in Chicago. Both urban black areas. Yet they didn't have hip hop. They was like, "what's that?". Why? The music and the culture wasn't there yet. Projects are projects. Shouldn't they both have had hiphop at the same time if environment is the main influence?

Music is a huge part of a culture. You can tell which part of the country you are just by the music.
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:14 pm
Sid A Sore

not really worth 2 cents  Reply with quote  

but here's mine:
most thing's aren't invented, they are improved or changed. you can say that so and so invented rock and roll or jazz or country or insert your music category here, but in truth that person was probably playing another style of music and modifying it. if you were to take it all the way back at some point you will come to the first person to make music, and it was a prehistoric man imitating sounds he heard in nature. so in effect, everyone is stealing the wind. music is expression and as soon as you put rules on it, it becomes nothing more than reproduction.

watch the video
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:16 pm
Shylax

Quote:

i am quite sure i share musical influences and opinions with some bronx people, but we damn sure dont share the same culture.

Yes you do,

If you took an interest into hip hop music, you are sharing the culture with bronx people. You may live in suburbia and they live in the pj's but you're both sharing the hiphop culture.
Yeah, you may not have seen crack spots or shit like that but you know about it through the music and can relate on some level.

"It ain't where you're from, it's where your at"

Exactly.
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:19 pm
Shylax

Sid,

That's what I'm saying. But at some point it becomes it's own thing. Rap and country are different yet similar. Jazz and classical are different yet similar. Because they all sprung from the same well. But the cultures related to those forms are defined. The hip hop culture is nothing like the classical culture. Each culture has its foundations and doesn't want those foundations messed with.
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:23 pm
ImTheDevil

Shylax wrote:
[It's like when cats in Seattle saw kids all over America start rocking flannel and they got heated. It was their culture being exploited. Or how the punk communtiy hated on Greenday and Blink182. It's not just in HipHop folks. Those who grew and lived in a culture are very protective of it...

i agree totally with that
my crew and i all rock foam hats and shaved heads(no mullets here) and truck driver type digs and dress like white trash just to be a dick.
when i see some poser ass punk wanna be kid thats about twelve and a mesh back hat that he bought from vulcom trying to be cool. i just want to punch them in the nuts and learn 'em a lesson.

i can understand when some one jocks your style and doesnt give you any props for it. and there for i can understand that black people feel exploited. but with out white kids grabbing every giggy album they can find there would be no mainstream rap.

in providence the underground scene seams to be mostly white supported. every show that i have gone to see has been just a room full of white kids loving every second of it. even at shows put on by black artist (akro, mr. lif) has been all white ppl and 5 or 6 black ppl that didnt seem to fit in, culture wise. they keeped yelling "holla" and other giggy bullshit words.
what ever happened to words like "pissa" and "ragamufin"

for sheezy

peace
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:32 pm
kamereon

yeah well...  Reply with quote  

we dont share the same culture just because we wear the same clothing and shit.
and no you cant tell where you are just by the music. as i have stated before, if you walk past the garage in which i work you will likely hear: sage francis or aesop rock blasting from our boombox inside. does this mean your in the "north east"? no. individuals or just that - individuals. where i am doesnt define me, it only influences me.
no. they shouldnt have "created" hip hop at the same time. a neighborhood is defined by the people who reside in it. the people of the bronx came with it, not the projects.

and yes i have seen "crack spots" and shit... ha ha. the south isnt just what you see on 'green acres'. pensacola is a city. maybe not as big as yours, but still a typical city.

your turn to pass judgement,
adam from pensacola
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:47 pm
kamereon

yuk...  Reply with quote  

i just watched that video again. i guess only to build my tolerance to idiots.

how was jesus black or white? he was a middle eastern man. fact. he was middle eastern damn it.

i hate people,
the very socialphobic,
adam from pensacola
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:44 pm
td3

Shylax  Reply with quote  

how old are you? you seem to know your shit and i admire that ..especially if you were around (and down with hip-hop since the 70s) to see it grow to what it is now

kamereon---your right, Jesus (not to be confused with Jezuz) probably looked exactly like Osama Bin Laden... ironic

td3
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:12 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
praton3030

So i amde an ass out of myself earlier, sorry, i jump to conclusions too early, cut me some slack, i am 15, my bro introduced me to this shit, i am here to learn, and who knows if hip hop really started in the 70's, some man unkown in the streets in the 60's could have made it up but no one would give a damn then, and whoever said every culture has history rewritten is right, whites stole rock"n"roll, whites stole swing, and a whole bunch of other shit,who really cares. i now respect coolio again now that i got a firm understanding of all of this.

peace,
brian aka praton3030
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:56 pm
td3

word  Reply with quote  

word up Brian....

you actually made a good point (and you are only 15.... who said 15 year olds werent smart??) about rap perhaps being "invented" in the 60s... yet this is HIGHLY unlikeable... but it coulda been some sort of dr. suess type shit

PEACE
td3
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 8:01 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
praton3030

i believe sneep who use to be on here alot put it best, but i can't remember what he said so i will say sumthing else, music is not culture, it is a form of entertainment, see if u can beat that comment anybody.
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 8:07 pm
buck martinez

Im not down with that since were talkin hip hop.
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:12 pm
Shylax

Kam,

I'm not passing judgement on anybody. And I'm not saying you never seen a crack spot. I said an individual in suburbia.

But we'll agree to disagree on the culture/environment thing. I travel and especially in the early 90's, I went to Fla clubs were only playing bass, Maryland was only playing that jungle or whatever they call it and the rest were only rocking west coast or their own artists. And NY clubs only pumped NY stuff. I couldn't hear a Snoop or a Luke or a Outkast. Now they play everybody everywhere I go so it's less provinicial but different areas definitely pumped their own hiphop. It's like that in other genres. Seattle grunge was different than LA hair bands who were different than New York punk. Different music for different cultures.

TD3,

Yeah I'm 32. First heard 'Rappers Delight when i was 6 or 7. They played it 5 times an hour. I got hooked. Hip hop's been in my bloodstream ever since.

Quote:

some man unkown in the streets in the 60's could have made it up

Your right about that. My parents are from Jamaica. Old cats like U-Roy and Eek-a-mouse used to talk and rhyme over ska and rub a dub instrumentals. Those records had to be late 60's early 70's. Kool Herc even said that was his influence first starting out.

Also interesting was a documentary on the Doors and Jim Morrison was asked by the BBC what he thought future music would be like. He said there would be no more musicians, just electronic music and the singers would perform spoken word poetry over it. So Jim was the first emcee. LOL. The bronx kids stole from him!
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 11:00 pm
kamereon

ok  Reply with quote  

i understood what you were saying, i just chose to point out everything i thought was an incorrect statement.

i have traveled a hell of a lot also, and to my experience most places were somewhat the same. it depends on the actual club, party, or household in which your are standing as to what you will hear. most of the clubs here are the multi-room clubs. 1 room is all pop, 1 room is all rap, 1 room is techno shit, etc...

i see what you saying and agree with most of it. mostly i am trying to say that i disagree with you about what it is that defines a culture. or maybe what the definition of 'culture' is...

drink my nyQil and use zoloft for ice,
adam from pensacola
Post Wed Aug 14, 2002 1:01 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next