Search
Register
interview with a new punk/hiphop website 5/9/03
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

interview with a new punk/hiphop website 5/9/03  Reply with quote  

1. For everyone who doesn't know, can you state who you are and what you do?

"My name is Frank. I left my wife of 10 years to pursue a childhood dream. I left a habit of love for something that might not even exist. So now I dart around from city to city to find what it is that ruined my life. When I find it...you won't know."

2.Do you think there is a real connection between hip-hop and punk rock?

"As real as my right foot is constantly itchy, friend. I didn't even know there was a difference until you begged it in your question. Mr T had a mohawk before you did. He rapped, right?"

3. You have labeled yourself as a straight-edge artist, has the hardcore straight-edge scene influenced you?

"I am not the straight edge you are familiar with. I am the kind of straight edge who punches people in the face for smoking cigarettes at clubs and then when I go home I cry into my beer bottle. Oh wait, I AM the straight edge you're familiar with. The hardcore scene greatly influenced my DIY approach. Autonomy is a beautiful thing."

4.There are rumors circulating around that you have signed to Epitaph records is this true?

"Yes."

5.How does it feel to be on a punk rock label (if it's true)?

"It feels very comfortable. Much better than being signed to a faceless, bitch ass hiphop label. Like (edit) and (edit)....they haven't put out shit worth listening to since the early 90's. Tsk tsk."

6.Do you vote?

"I vote against the electoral college."

7.Do you think that political protests are a good or bad thing?

"Depends how they're handled and what the purpose is. They show public dissent and resistance, which we could have used more of about a year ago."

8.Who should hardcore punk fans be checking for in the hip-hop scene?

"Public Enemy, Boogie Down Productions, Rakim....as for resent stuff: El-P, Slug, Sole, Buck 65."

9.Who should hip-hop heads be checking for in the punk scene?

"I don't know much recent stuff. Among other groups, I have thoroughly enjoyed Bad Religion, Fugazi, Operation Ivy, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Dead Milkmen, NOFX, H20."

10.Can you explain the lyric "make love to the present,fuck the past"

"No."

11.What do you think of a group like The United HC Punk and Hip Hop Radical Alliance starting up?

"I think it will keep kids busy after school."
Post Fri May 09, 2003 11:33 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

Quote:

It feels very comfortable. Much better than being signed to a faceless, bitch ass hiphop label. Like (edit) and (edit)....they haven't put out shit worth listening to since the early 90's. Tsk tsk."

damn sage "edit AND edit"

what a tease!

:)
Post Fri May 09, 2003 11:35 am
FuseONE

.  Reply with quote  

What magazine is it? do they have a site?
Post Fri May 09, 2003 11:38 am
firefly

Re: interview with a new punk/hiphop website 5/9/03  Reply with quote  

[quote="Sage Francis"]

"No."quote]

hahahah
Post Fri May 09, 2003 11:48 am
Reggie

Re: interview with a new punk/hiphop website 5/9/03  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
Mr T had a mohawk before you did. He rapped, right?

Quote of the month.
Post Fri May 09, 2003 11:51 am
Cru Jones

once again i agree with reggie.

that response had me feeling like i just did 100 crunches with the ab-flex 3000.
way to start off your venture into a whole new world of wannabes and wanksters.
Post Fri May 09, 2003 1:44 pm
joedan

good job on not explaining the lyric. i thought that was pretty funny too.
Post Fri May 09, 2003 4:11 pm
Dee

I bet a shiny dime that one of the <edit>s was Def Jam.
Post Fri May 09, 2003 4:38 pm
SneepSnopDotCom
COCKRING WRAITH

Sage needs to do a rap duet with that bark-rap punk guy from the transplants. Tim Armstrong can sit in the background and gravel voice a few sad ideas behind his guitar. I CANT FUCKING WAIT.
Post Sat May 10, 2003 5:38 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sexylibrarian

cannibalism  Reply with quote  

1. For everyone who doesn't know, can you state who you are and what you do?

Hi, i'm just an effing dude. I basically write things that can be construed as potentially offensive because i've never really been through a whole hell of a lot of pain or strife or anything like that. I make salad-hop. It's not under the pretense of "Hey, I'm as good as professional producers...err I mean I AM a professional producer."

2.Do you think there is a real connection between hip-hop and punk rock?

yeah, groupies and amateurity.

3. You have labeled yourself as a straight-edge artist, has the hardcore straight-edge scene influenced you?

well between you and me, sir, i put X's on my hands as a joke to the guy at the counter who stamps all the hands. i used to listen to gorilla biscuits a lot when i was driving my parent's station wagon becaus eit offered me a strange inside comfort bubble...true heads don't drive a station wagon, but if they do, at least they got fightin music if some lil wayne look alike decides he wants to make light of the situation.

4.There are rumors circulating around that you have signed to Epitaph records is this true?

Not really. I'm signing to Fat Wreck Chords soon. Fat Mike is a man of the people.

5.How does it feel to be on a punk rock label (if it's true)?

It's very apparent. Like washing dirty windows with industrial strength cleaning solutions.

6.Do you vote?

Yeah, only local elections.

7.Do you think that political protests are a good or bad thing?

It's the new driving force behind music. We finally have something marginally important to complain about now. Whether protests of political nature are good or bad is irrelevant...the problem with protesting today is that it based around "positive" ideas instead of normative ideas...that's to say, kids are focusing on what "should" be instead of dealing with the decisions being made by idiots. Protesting is a matter of principal more than it is a functional unit in this country. In Europe, it's much different. I mean, we're all on the road to choadhood but some of us get there using one of those new Hummer models. That's totally patriotic yeah?

8.Who should hardcore punk fans be checking for in the hip-hop scene?

El-P, Neptunes, McEnroe, Lord Finesse, Vanilla Ice, and Sage Francis.

9.Who should hip-hop heads be checking for in the punk scene?

I won't answer this one because hip-hop heads...at least the true ones are boneheaded elitist separatists. But I will say that I like Infest, Fugazi, 108, Rudimentary Peni, Orchid, Youth Brigade, 7 Tear Rabbit Cycle,, Iron Lung.

It's sexual politics that cross reference Dr Ruth and transcend space and time...since time is constantly changing, you have to figure out if you want to have unintimate sexual relations of retrospect with a nonfeeling heart because if you put feeling into the pass you dwell on it. If you are intimate with what you're doing now, that is divine...it's based on tantric principals.

11.What do you think of a group like The United HC Punk and Hip Hop Radical Alliance starting up?

As long as there is no riff stealing or screamo tendencies but more suicidal tendencies, then just let me know where I can make a donation.
Post Sat May 10, 2003 6:04 pm
MC HOMELESS

If anyone is interested in the organization that put on this interview we are called The United Hardcore Punk and Hip Hop Radical Alliance,we are set out to be an internatinal organzation. Right now we do have some people in Mexico who want to help out. The organization is in its early stages. Im working on the zine an website right now as well a a compilation cd. What were all about can be found on this page,please sign up for the listserve if you will. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UHPHRA/

if anyone wants to help with anything email me at mchomeless@hotmail.com or IM me on Combatshock999, if you have hip hop and want to be on the comp cd let me know that too.
-homeless
Post Tue May 13, 2003 1:32 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hammer Smith

Fucking Punks  Reply with quote  

Hey, this is Trevor from the Providence Poetry Slam.

Anyone want to go over to the Epitaph site and bitch out some whiny punk rock elitists for me? I started to do it, but I don't feel like continuing it. Thanks.
Post Thu May 22, 2003 9:47 pm
Hammer Smith

P.S.  Reply with quote  

P.S. By the way, that rapper from the Transplants (I used to know his name but I forgot. Fuck! First rule of war, know thine enemy, dammit!) is the worst emcee I have EVER HEARD.

"No one lives forever, in fact, we all die."

Thank you captain obvious!
Post Thu May 22, 2003 10:28 pm
MC HOMELESS

Re: P.S.  Reply with quote  

Hammer Smith wrote:
P.S. By the way, that rapper from the Transplants (I used to know his name but I forgot. Fuck! First rule of war, know thine enemy, dammit!) is the worst emcee I have EVER HEARD.

"No one lives forever, in fact, we all die."

Thank you captain obvious!

Tim Armstrong from Rancid? haha
Post Sat May 24, 2003 11:39 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

That's not Tim Armstrong, guy
Post Sat May 24, 2003 12:01 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next