Search
Register
What Artists do you have faith in? and when do you lose it
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

am01ne

I'd rather hang with frat girls at an Atmosphere show than greasy faced teenage hiphop activists.
Post Wed May 28, 2003 4:45 pm
scribe

Tulsi wrote:
I have no more faith in Wu Tang. It only recomfirmed that when Method was in that Right Guard commercial playing tricks on bikers.

...are you one of those kids that gets upset that their "underground artist" has sold out cause someone does a commercial or something. your like the ones that dont want others to hear the music cause it makes you feel that your special or bigger than them cause "you dont buy into the commercial shit". man that stuff is bullshit, just cause he did a commercial he fell off? what he forgot how to rhyme or what? so he must not be allowed to make any money other than hustlin' his ass off sellin' outta the trunk (not that he truly does but you get the point). man i hate these ignorant statements. just cause he did a commercial. juvenile shit...
Post Wed May 28, 2003 5:12 pm
scribe

...and the ones saying atmosphere fell off a lil, i gotta disagree. i think GLU was dope and innovative. an advancement in his rhymes and music. just cause it didnt fall in line with lucy ford doesnt mean its falling off, his flows are dope as hell on this cd. just my opinion though. i dont think slug's falling off, i think he's getting stronger and more diverse with each album he puts out. listen to headshots stuff, then overcast, then GLU, i think his elevation is pretty evident. to each his own though...
Post Wed May 28, 2003 5:19 pm
Royal-T

I have faith in Sage, Sole, El-P, Automator, Buck 65, The Oddities anything by peanuts and corn. People I love but are scared that they might fall off.... Aesop Rock, Cage.
Post Wed May 28, 2003 8:20 pm
bensandoval

i still love the shit outta slug, at this point i'll get anything he puts out

but glu just wasn't as interesting a listen as lucy ford. it disappointed me

just another opinion
Post Wed May 28, 2003 8:21 pm
daniel door

at the buck show in nyc the only people who seemed to be really into oddjobs were these 3 40yr old black women. atmosphere didnt fall off, GLU was a really strong release and the strongest atmosphere/slug album maybe not the strongest LP because there is a difference between an album and an LP. i dunno about wu-tang falling off either, i've liked all the stuff Rza, Gza, and Ghost have put out long with Iron Flag and The W.
Post Wed May 28, 2003 8:22 pm
am01ne

Royal-T wrote:
Cage.

Ive never been so dissapointed by any one rapper's career.
Post Wed May 28, 2003 8:25 pm
Tulsi

Posted: Wed May 28, 2003 12:12 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Tulsi
I have no more faith in Wu Tang. It only recomfirmed that when Method was in that Right Guard commercial playing tricks on bikers.

...are you one of those kids that gets upset that their "underground artist" has sold out cause someone does a commercial or something. your like the ones that dont want others to hear the music cause it makes you feel that your special or bigger than them cause "you dont buy into the commercial shit". man that stuff is bullshit, just cause he did a commercial he fell off? what he forgot how to rhyme or what? so he must not be allowed to make any money other than hustlin' his ass off sellin' outta the trunk (not that he truly does but you get the point). man i hate these ignorant statements. just cause he did a commercial. juvenile shit...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Scribe - relax man. It was more a jab on how wack the commercial was more than anything else. I don't give a fuck if an Artist sells their soul to Coke/Pepsi/Nike or fucking Tommy Hilfiger, go ahead and pimp the fame and culture for all its worth, just make dope music. But the wackness of his commercial only followed the wackness of Tical 2000. I'm sorry. Besides the commercial debate is played out and has been duked out on hip hop forums for as long as the Internet has existed. I'm over it.

Your post was a big assumption...but humerous nonetheless.
Post Wed May 28, 2003 8:39 pm
sequence

The only people I would put on this list are people that I know personally. When I say that, I mean my friends who make music. Otherwise, I am not comfortable speaking to what musicians want from their lives and from their musical careers. If you want a list of people that you've never heard of that I have faith in as music makers, let me know and I'll churn one out. The only person people on here would have heard of is Tadd Mullinix, who goes by the moniker Dabrye when he makes his hip hop shit, but just like Scott Herren (Prefuse 73) he has a variety of names and styles that he does. Tadd ain't fallin' off...

How can you like AOI better than Stakes is High? Stakes is High is the fucking jam. It is one of the most underrated hip hop albums of all time.
Post Wed May 28, 2003 8:53 pm
killedbysharks

Mikal kHill wrote:
Sage
Elliott Smith (although I've heard he's stuck on heroin, and close to self destruction)
Hayden (singer songwriter who keeps getting better)
Beck
DJ Shadow (who I know is capable of better than the private press)
The Coup
Anything associated with Automator...

Last time i saw elliott smith i was standing in line in front of him at amoeba music in Los Angeles. He looked like shit but i dont think he is on heroin anymore, i thought he quit, but i know he drinks alchohol.

I cannot have faith in anybody who uses drugs.
People i am not freinds with and have faith in:
Ian Mackeye 100%

As far as Sage goes, i have faith that he will make honest decisions. And i have faith that he will be honest with himself. I would only feel bad for him if this wasnt the case. so whatever, ill be happy when people put out good albums that make me feel nice, but if they dont, i think ill survive as long as i stay cool.
Post Thu May 29, 2003 4:52 am
coma emilio

GaryColemansStuntDouble wrote:
Arab Strap

i'm amazed that americans "get" arab strap. i would have thought the guys voice would just be too much, i mean it's too much for me sometimes and i fucking sound like him. on a side note i see him all the time in a pub i occasionaly go to, he loves the beer.

stars of the lid are probably the only band right now i'd buy absolutely anything by. their music takes you to nice places.

as for people who used to be good and now are shit, stephen malkmus is high up there. pavement were amazing but what he is doing now depresses me. the songs just aren't there, think he's trying too hard to be clever but is just coming across as a dick.
Post Thu May 29, 2003 5:09 am
Buddy Peace

"stars of the lid are probably the only band right now i'd buy absolutely anything by. their music takes you to nice places."

-Coma Emilio

I couldn't agree more. 'Tired Sounds Of...' has been serving me well since late 2001, it's amazing.
Just wanted to add that! Nice.
Post Thu May 29, 2003 6:52 am
emynd

I think the only artists I really really have faith in are Micah 9 and Radiohead.

Aceyalone fell off HARD. "Accepted Eclectic"? BAH!

As for Sage, am I the only one that's a bit worried that he's going to end up making crappy folk songs instead of great rap songs? Not, like, anytime soon, but in 15 years or something.

I'm half-kidding.
Post Thu May 29, 2003 7:38 am
coma emilio

Buddy Peace wrote:
I couldn't agree more. 'Tired Sounds Of...' has been serving me well since late 2001, it's amazing.
Just wanted to add that! Nice.

i'm paranoid that i'm going to wear out "tired sounds" as i play it so much.
i've thought about buying another copy just in case i do, bedtimes wouldn't be the same without them. the second disc is especially wonderful.

there is no better soundtrack to drift in and out of sleep to.
Post Thu May 29, 2003 7:46 am
natas sevol dog

a few of the artists that i dont think can put out a shit album without being on purpose:

The Coup(did anyone else think disc 2 on steal this album was not very good at all, like whose that drunk that sings with him)
Anticon(havent heard pedestrian other than on a couple songs, but all the rest ive heard and bought cds of have been amazing)
josh martinez(hes too hyper to write something crappy and leave it that way)
resist and exist(trying to spread their message too hard to just stop or make songs about lamo stuffo)

they only way these groups and some that i didnt list could "fall off" would be making some good ole mtv rap. maybe dose will one day do a song for ADD medicine etc...
Post Thu May 29, 2003 12:31 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next