interview for hiphopgame.com. 5/23/03
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

interview for hiphopgame.com. 5/23/03  Reply with quote  

You're the first act signed to Epitaph Records, can you talk about
that?

"I can talk about it. I don't know what to say about it. It is exciting and logical. Epitaph decided to jump in and help out my grind. I appreciate it. Hopefully it works to everyone's benefit."

What got you interested in Hip Hop?

"The rhymes. The sound of the beats. The attitude. The messages. The intellect. The ignorance. Very simple things. Very powerful at the same time. I don't know why, but it always felt like it was for me...even when it wasn't. I was in love with everything about hiphop. "

How do you go about writing a song?
"I don't have a system yet. I don't think I do anyway. I write down the combination of words my mind formulates at random times. Usually they sit in my notebook incomplete. Then when I am given music or beats that I enjoy I return to what I have come up with so far and see what fits. Then I'll write the rest of it. Sometimes that's how it happens. Other times I'll write out a full song with no music at all and wait for the right beat to come my way. Other times I get a beat that requires that I write something completely new for it. I try to stay open and flexible to all of these writing methods."

What was your inspiration for creating "Makeshift Patriot?"
"News reporters trying to win a fucking Emmy. The people around me with no sense of reality outside of the tv."

How do you approach battles?
"I just try to throw everyone's plan out of the window. That's all. I like to see people struggle."

Do you try and do certain things to bait your opponents?
"Of course. I make them want to state the obvious...while at the same time I let them realize it's cheap to do that. I don't battle much anymore, but when I do I love to battle people who aren't aware of what I'm capable of."

Who's the illest rapper that you've gone up against?

"Hmmm. The Superbowl Battle was insane. It was filled with a lot of established emcees, but that night gave a couple 'unknowns' a chance to shine. Alius from Boston is probably the illest freestyle battler I have gone up against, followed by Brother Ali."

How would you define your style?

"faggot."

Who are your inspirations?

"Genus Slice, my sword and razor."

How do you feel about Hip Hop today?

"It has changed while staying the same. Pretty ugly. haha. I don't know, man. Some people are doing GREAT stuff. Most of what is available to the vast majority of people is utter garbage. Boohoo. Dig dig dig. If you live off what is force fed to you, then you're gonna die with a fat, fast food face. I had a dream about war last night. Someone shot me in the ass from a helicopter. Do I get any type of street credibility for that?"

If you had an hour on MTV, what would you do?

"Holy cow...I would have a portion of it dedicated to Rogue from X Men. Another portion would be dedicated to Lisa Simpson. The rest would go to Nat. On second hand, maybe I would just make them bring back Fab 5 Freddy so I could enjoy that damn channel again."

Whats the last Hip Hop album in your player?

"Some mixtape that a DJ gave me. Halfway through it I got up and took it out of my stereo and said, 'Jesus...I hate hiphop. What's wrong with me. This shit is annoying. Does that mean I am officially old?' and then my girlfriend said, 'No, that just means that its not fitting your mood at the moment.' Smart girl. But the last hiphop album that I volunteered into my stereo and enjoyed was mine. Fucking narcissist."

Last edited by Sage Francis on Fri May 23, 2003 4:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Fri May 23, 2003 2:52 pm
illmatik06

girlfriend, eh? fun times, fun times.
Post Fri May 23, 2003 3:06 pm
pakilicious

narcissist is the shit. Sage should be the next american idol.
Post Fri May 23, 2003 5:44 pm
The_Underground_Kid

Re: interview for hiphopgame.com. 5/23/03  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
I had a dream about war last night. Someone shot me in the ass from a helicopter. Do I get any type of street credibility for that?

LMAO
Post Fri May 23, 2003 10:50 pm
the Wiper

anyone who actually WANTS to interview you MUST be out of their mind...

this however, was surprisingly homeostatic. is that a word?
Post Sat May 24, 2003 8:08 am

Jump to: