Search
Register
Worst Acts You've Ever Seen At A Show
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

coma emilio

sigur ros.

music to flush your budgie down the toilet to does not go over too well with me at a gig. i wanted to rush the stage and ram the violin bow the singer was playing his guitar with up his arse.
Post Tue May 20, 2003 2:24 am
joedan

cannibal ox is horrible live.

i saw this group named elevated grounds open for sole once. they were horrible. they got shit thrown at them when they started with a hip-hop rendition of "puff the magic dragon."
Post Tue May 20, 2003 3:12 am
The RIAA TookMyMusicAway

they need to take a few notes from fellow def jukie Aesop Rock
Post Tue May 20, 2003 3:15 am
johnny hatchback

deltron  Reply with quote  

Del the Funky Homosapien: I have only seen him once live, but he sucked. Maybe it was an off night but i doubt it. I expected his voice to be dynamic live like it is on tracks, but no. Monotone. It could have been any dude up there rapping, no energy, no voice, dont think i will see him again.

Josh Martinez: Wasnt feeling this dude live, it was like watching richard simmons on speed.

-johnny
Post Tue May 20, 2003 3:24 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
killedbysharks

cannibal ox sucks sucks sucks sucks.

That is not the worst ive seen but funny cannibal ox was mentioned cause i went to last year's all tomorrow's parties to see sleater kinney. Cannibal ox was there and they were shitty. i cant deal with that bullshit like "say hell yeah!...HIP-HOP!" To a crowd full of indie rock white kids, which im sure was there first hip hop experience.

Anyway, i had been standing in the same place, without water, for something like 7 hours, putting up with shitty bands, just to see sleater kinney. Then this cocksucker named Merzbow came on stage and played nothing but computers. All he did was play the most peircing, annoying noise ive ever had to tolerate my entire life. The noise consisted of different pitches of a gut-wrenching humming, then a high pitched squeeling noise, for 45 minutes. I felt like i was going to go deaf, throw up, get a migrain, and pass out all at the same time. I thought i was going insane. the worst 45 minutes of my entire life. id rather be on fire than to experience that again. I hope somebody on this forum was there
Post Tue May 20, 2003 3:44 am
johnny hatchback

oh yeah  Reply with quote  

Atari Teenage Riot really sucks ass.
Post Tue May 20, 2003 3:50 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TheRutherglenRebel

Suicide, last year. Was so looking forward to it for so long, and it was SO awful. They even managed to make Frankie Teardrop sound abysmal, which I wouldn't have thought possible. Daft old men. And to make matters worse, there were all these assholes trying to kid themselves they were having some kind of transcendental awakening, a really hollow experience.
Post Tue May 20, 2003 4:11 am
Nortled

Satyre wrote:
On the Live Band Dead Poet tour when it came to Columbus,OH the Trailer Park NInjas sucked ass so bad.And I think that's all,i'nn high.

Haha, actually I thought they were "good" weird as opposed to "bad" weird. That's just probably timing: they were a good change of pace after the cookie-cutter opener Phalanx. That strutting TPN did around the stage like they all were on a mix of Jack Daniels and crystal meth was somewhat disturbing. Plus one guy wanted to look like Mike D. while another looked just like Silent Bob. Messed up ish, but it did liven up the show as a whole.
Post Tue May 20, 2003 5:20 am
Reggie

You don't like Oddjobs live? Man, I think they put on a tight, high energy show. And if the rappin' don't get you, Deetalx is an unsung hero on the tables. I'm not hysterical over their show or anything, but they are a great opener that can blend with a variety of musical styles.

Cannibal Ox really does suck live. That's if Vordul even shows up. More often than not, it's Vast lumbering around on stage. Your boy Aesop Rock used to put on a weak show, too--he was like hip-hop's Jim Morrison, standing behind the mic stand and rapping with his eyes closed. But either he took a few tips from Mr. Lif or he figured it out on his own, because he's more than capable now. Actually, Aesop's stage presence reminds me a lot of Slug's--not just because they're tall, gangly guys, but because they can command a stage without doing laps back and forth like MC Hammer. It's in the delivery, I guess. High energy, though, they are not.

I have been to more than one Stronghold show where some members of the crew were wack simply because they were too drunk to rap. I saw Del in '93 at the Grand, same story (The Goats headlined that night and killed it, though). I've seen Del two other times, though, he was much better. I tell you what, though, when it comes to underground rappers today, you'll have a much easier times listing the performers whose stage shows don't suck instead of counting off the many that do (I don't even know a lot of the acts being mentioned in this thread). The "indie" list for me goes: Lif, Sage, and Aceyalone, with special nods to maybe half a dozen others. (J-Live gets a big nod.)
Post Tue May 20, 2003 6:07 am
barlow

I saw the Velvet Underground on the re-union tour in about 92, and they were absolutely dire.

Although not as bad as Kenickie.
How that shower of shit managed to produce something as good as "Come out 2nite" I will never know.

Finally, a band from Middlesbrough called "Dryland".
We did a gig with them, and we decided to play first so we could get away as soon as we finished.
What we didn't realise was that their drummer had agreed to use our drummers kit, and me and the bassist were taking the drums home between us, so we had to wait for them to finish playing before we could go.
Unfortunatley every other member of the audience wasn't waiting for a drum kit, so they all fucked off. There was me and the bassist and our girlfriends sat there for 40 minutes waiting to get the drums off them, and we were the only people in the room who werent in the band.
They were so bad even their own girlfriends left. Even the bar man said "I'll be in the room at the back, knock on the door if you want serving".
I hope they dont read this, as they seemed like really nice people.
They probably work in an accounts department somewhere, telling the receptionists about how they used to be in a band.
Post Tue May 20, 2003 6:27 am
SergOne

man and I thought it was common knowledge that can ox sucks live...but yeah I'm not a fan of their music anyways so they always suck to me
Post Tue May 20, 2003 9:40 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Don Knotts

joedan wrote:
cannibal ox is horrible live.

i saw this group named elevated grounds open for sole once. they were horrible. they got shit thrown at them when they started with a hip-hop rendition of "puff the magic dragon."

This was at the West Covina show last year right? I was there, they fuckin sucked
Post Tue May 20, 2003 9:47 am
Random Sample

I saw the OddJobs live and they were real dope. Crescent Moon is a real cool cat chilled with him for a minute.

I would have to say that I saw atmosphere twice and the first time slug sucked, but I think it was just because the show sucked because of the shitty venue. Sage and eyedea were on tour with them at the time. Sage, eyedea and abilities ripped it, but slug sucked. Then I saw him in cleveland on the god loves ugly tour and he redeemed himself.

Sole is absolutely the worst I have ever seen live. Just pure pain to my ears and eyes. Busdriver and that other dude on the eyedea and living legends tour from the fall they were terrible also.
Post Tue May 20, 2003 9:52 am
Seamus Ignoramus

I love this thread. Lame live rappers need to be outed.
The one that sticks out most in my mind is Jeru. He played (badly) for about 20 minutes, then went "where's my spliff?" Some dude handed him a spliff and he stood on stage smoking it and let his DJ fill in the gaps. In total he was on stage being wack for no more than half an hour.
I also hate when rappers come to Ireland and babble on about Guiness for ages on stage. Yeah, guiness & Ireland, that whole connection, great (yawn).
Post Tue May 20, 2003 10:13 am
mrgillepsie

I would have to say Kool Keith,

I was so looking forward to seeing this show and he was awful had nothing worthwhile going on.

OddJobs I wasn't feeling live either tons of energy and the cats are pretty cool to talk to, I think it was more I just don't dig their sounds much.

I have really enjoyed most shows I have been to though.

I can't wait to see Aceyalone, Eyedea, Ugly Duckling and Prince Paul at the OttoBar next month in Baltimore!
Post Tue May 20, 2003 10:22 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next