im sorry but sponge bob is STUUUUUPID
my little brother watches that show
retartedness to the fullest

i get nothing from that show...
Post Mon May 19, 2003 1:19 pm
The RIAA TookMyMusicAway

TheRutherglenRebel wrote:
hugh grants hooker wrote:
we had: turbo teen, transformers, he-man, shirt-tales, gummi bears, voltron, the alf cartoon, etc...

OK, voltron - what was that? I'm in the UK and I don't think we got it, yet I hear references to it a lot. Same with Giligan's (sp?) Island - what was the big fcukin deal with that? We had Dangermouse - that was mega.
Dangermouse was my hero.
Post Mon May 19, 2003 1:40 pm
am01ne

but again... those shows are descendants of earlier cartoons, they are not any examples of how cartoons have improved, if anything they are evidence of what is lacking these days.

the only recent successes which are somewhat related to quality of work are from cartoons such as these which are simply newer or updated versions of a pretty basic formula.

in all honesty, as much as i am a fan of spongebob, its still just an adequate cartoon and neither of these shows are so original or innovative to warrant them "ground-breaking".

spongebobs success id due to the fact that its produced by stephen hillenburg who was a writer and director for rocko's modern life... again a series of the early 90's.

powerpuff girls (which btw wouldnt exist without 60's hb shows like secret squirrel and space ghost) first aired in 1992 and was directed by craig mccracken who just happened to also be the director for 2 stupid dogs which is exactly why these cartoons were mentioned in your last post...

because the only way a cartoon can be successfull nowadays in terms of quality and animation, is if its the stepchild of cartoons from an earlier decade which is exactly what made cartoons of the 80's so dope.

they were each original yet entertaining and were appealing to both audiences of young and old. they were "innovative".

notice how all these old cartoons are coming back nowadays and turning into updated versions of the classic 80's works? i wonder why...
Post Mon May 19, 2003 1:42 pm
natas sevol dog

because they dont want to try something new. they know which cartoons did good back in the 80s so they just make an updated version and it should do as well. its not like these companies are making cartoons to educate or inform, they just want the $$$. taking a chance with a brandnew innovative cartoon means it might be too out there and fail, so they just make sequals and spinoffs and based off of shows.

i really think the only cartoons that break past the norm are the ones on adult swim. speaking of adult aswim, has anyone seen the aeon flux peoples new cartoon , Reign?
Post Mon May 19, 2003 2:16 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sarcastro

ok the topic was 1980's cartoons, so I assumed the 90's would fall into this generation of children's cartoons. As well it may just be my own opinion but I still think that the action cartoons of today and 80's are extremly similar, and very predictable and boring, with very few exceptions (Transformers, X-Men, Spiderman, Dragonball Z <shut up, i like it>).

and obviously the foundations were set by the 80's, and 80's cartoon foundations were set by shows in the 70's and so on and so forth, you can't make that into a logical point.

and if I have to thank the 80's and the lack of imagination by kids today for all the kickass new cartoons, well than THANK YOU

PS
I forgot to mention Samurai Jack, how kickass is that show, come on.....and Spongebob is hilarious, just give it a chance.
Post Mon May 19, 2003 2:50 pm
The RIAA TookMyMusicAway

why don't they put Aeon Flux on adult swim?
Post Mon May 19, 2003 2:58 pm
Sarcastro

oh man I remember Aeon from back in the day, I was way to young to understand what was happening but I remember all the chicks were almost always naked

I miss the Maxx, awww now I miss not having Teletoon (canadian version of cartoon network)
Post Mon May 19, 2003 3:00 pm
natas sevol dog

i bet mtv still has control of that show
Post Mon May 19, 2003 3:02 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The RIAA TookMyMusicAway

yes, The Maxx was ill too. everything that originated on Liquid Television was dope.
Post Mon May 19, 2003 3:04 pm
natas sevol dog

you know what would be really cool, if adult swim started doing like 30mins-1hr of music videos. they could drop baby blues and play them at the end, or maybe 1 or 2 songs between each show
Post Mon May 19, 2003 3:09 pm
am01ne

I just spent 20 minutes writing something and I fucking lost it... arrgh!!

I dont want to look at this thread anymore, it makes me sick.
Post Mon May 19, 2003 5:54 pm
sliquid

TheRutherglenRebel wrote:
hugh grants hooker wrote:
we had: turbo teen, transformers, he-man, shirt-tales, gummi bears, voltron, the alf cartoon, etc...

OK, voltron - what was that? I'm in the UK and I don't think we got it, yet I hear references to it a lot. Same with Giligan's (sp?) Island - what was the big fcukin deal with that? We had Dangermouse - that was mega.

Voltron is the O.G. He is what that sissy-ass-punk-fest called THe Mighty Morphin Power Rangers ripped off...

5 Mech. Lions who are run by the Voltron Force, and they come together as one to form VOltron. Then he can turn into the Vehicle Voltron.

Fucking sweeeeet ass toy too. It was like 2 1/2 feet tall and sturdy as fuck.

Memories....
Post Tue May 20, 2003 11:48 am
Swipe

I need to see the show Downtown again.
And I agree with the sentiment that today's saturday morning crop is really bad.
Post Tue May 20, 2003 2:51 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

is the 'newest' most orignal cartoon ive seen in a good while
Post Tue May 20, 2003 4:57 pm
The RIAA TookMyMusicAway

and that's not even new. i was watching that back in 97'.
Post Tue May 20, 2003 4:58 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next