View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

ghettomonk

Bomb The Suburbs  Reply with quote  

I saw William Upski Wimsatt yesterday.

Author of 'no more prisons' and 'bomb the suburbs'

Has anyone else seen this man?

He is amazing.

He wrote for the source magazine when he was 16.

He makes me want to get up off my ass and quit school and get a real education and start a hiphop activist group or a....I don't know, just something to make a dent in the shit that's going down. Especially in Minnesota.

So, if he is coming to your city. Listen up.
Post Fri May 02, 2003 5:35 pm
Jesse

I'd like to read No More Prisons. Bomb The Suburbs was a little too... well, a lot of things. It was a bit of a prissy hip hop moan, for one thing. It was a bit of a get-out-of-white-guilt-free card. It had its share of merits, don't get me wrong, but I didn't appreciate the guy's ubiquitous, ill-disguised sanctimonious tone.

But I would like to read No More Prisons.
Post Sat May 03, 2003 12:17 am
kese

i read no more prisons, but haven't read bomb the suburbs... no more prisons was really good, but i heard that bomb the suburbs sucked...so.. read no more prisons.. it should be better than the other one...
Post Sat May 03, 2003 11:14 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
karl

Bomb the Suburbs is perhaps the biggest piece of shit ever written and it is not even 200 pages long.

His writing sucks.

Doing graffiti doesn't make you an expert on anything.

He was obviously writing things he thought a black audience would want to hear a white guy say.

"I am unable to imagine equality, unable to love blacks without simultaneously hating them. The same mind that believes a dumb black dude has the potential of an Einstein has to restrain itself from shouting "nigger" when he goes to see a brilliant black scholar give a lecture."

Ok, Willy.
Post Sun May 04, 2003 2:31 pm
bobbythebear

what's the group that did "thats the burbs"? kick ass song
Post Mon May 05, 2003 12:26 am
The RIAA TookMyMusicAway

yead he was 16 when he was writing for the source but lets also remember that BENZINO owns the source.
Post Mon May 05, 2003 1:53 am
Jesse

Whoah, I'm surprised... I don't think I've ever seen any anti-Upski sentiment before.
Post Mon May 05, 2003 5:26 am
The RIAA TookMyMusicAway

don't take my comment as anti-Upski, i've never heard of him before. i'm just saying that if Benzino is impressed with your writing that isn't saying much.
Post Tue May 06, 2003 2:38 am
MCSquizared

well you can certainly take my comments as anti-upski sentiment. he is among the worst authors i've ever read, excelling only in ignorant arrogance. his conclusions are all so contrived, following some skewed and biased line of 'reasoning' that purports to contribute something to the understanding of racism. his books are shit. in no way does this man represent activism.
Post Tue May 06, 2003 5:37 pm
Jesse

yeah I didn't really mean you GCSD, I meant all the people trashing the dude. I'm used to being the only one criticizing him at all!
Post Tue May 06, 2003 10:19 pm
Embryo

Upski's writing style anything but sucks. I'm sorry, I can't help but suspect that you are projecting your disagreement with his ideas into your opinion about how he writes.

Upski's insights are incredibly relevent and good. If you don't think that his honest thoughts on racism have merit, you probably don't have a very thorough understanding of your own racism or role in the racist system of our country. I hope you think about that shit again, for everyone's sake.

That said, BTS does have a lot of flaws. But you should read No More Prisons - a significant portion of it is devoted to a self-criticism of Bomb the Suburbs, and NMP has few of the flaws you probably noticed in BTS. And if you've read NMP, you have to read BTS - it's good. And you'll learn something. Just re-read the part in NMP about what BTS's flaws are after you're done.

To whoever saw Upski, where did you see him? Last I heard he was taking a long break from everything ever. I'm glad to hear he's doing stuff again.
Post Tue May 06, 2003 10:34 pm
Jesse

Embryo wrote:
Upski's writing style anything but sucks. I'm sorry, I can't help but suspect that you are projecting your disagreement with his ideas into your opinion about how he writes.

Upski's insights are incredibly relevent and good. If you don't think that his honest thoughts on racism have merit, you probably don't have a very thorough understanding of your own racism or role in the racist system of our country. I hope you think about that shit again, for everyone's sake.

Right um, who was projecting their feelings regarding his ideas into their opinion about how he writes?

Anyway though, I personally don't have that much of a problem with his writing style. To tell the truth, it was the ideas I had a problem with, and I don't recall saying otherwise.

Hey, you know what? Why don't you enlighten me a little on my own racism and my role in the racist system of my country? It happens to be Canada, but I'm sure that makes no difference. Better yet, what comprises your thorough understanding of your own racism etc? I mean, before you make such presumptuous statements as "Anyone who doubts the obvious truth of the prophet Upski's words OBVIOUSLY misunderstands them."

Almost everything he said about race was dumb. You tell me something he said about race, I'll tell you if it's dumb and why (or why, theoretically, not). We'll work together on this.

COME AT ME!
Post Tue May 06, 2003 10:42 pm
Embryo

I wasn't really talking to you - I was talking to the first guy who bashed Upski, who said something ridiculous about race and his writing style. What he wrote leads me to believe that he had a negative reaction to some of upski's insights about white privilege - because it's a common reaction. And yes, I believe it is a flawed and shortsighted one.

I enjoyed reading Upski's writing and that's regardless of my opinion of his ideas.

Not to be disrespectful (in fact, quite the opposite), but in Canada race relations and institutional racism are issues that work out very differently than in the United States, and so you may not be so qualified to comment on such things. Rather than me trying to remember all of his specific points about race (which I cannot do because I have read many other things about race and a lot of them blur together), why don't you bring up specific issues you have with his ideas? And I think a lot of my responses will be explaining how it applies in the US, whereas it might not apply in Canada.
Post Tue May 06, 2003 10:50 pm
karl

Embryo wrote:
I wasn't really talking to you - I was talking to the first guy who bashed Upski, who said something ridiculous about race and his writing style. What he wrote leads me to believe that he had a negative reaction to some of upski's insights about white privilege - because it's a common reaction. And yes, I believe it is a flawed and shortsighted one.

I enjoyed reading Upski's writing and that's regardless of my opinion of his ideas.

Not to be disrespectful (in fact, quite the opposite), but in Canada race relations and institutional racism are issues that work out very differently than in the United States, and so you may not be so qualified to comment on such things. Rather than me trying to remember all of his specific points about race (which I cannot do because I have read many other things about race and a lot of them blur together), why don't you bring up specific issues you have with his ideas? And I think a lot of my responses will be explaining how it applies in the US, whereas it might not apply in Canada.

I guess when I wrote that I didn't realize I was a racist for not liking a shitty book by a kid that is an expert on race relations because he used to spray paint his name on the side of buildings and trains.

But now that I realize this, I'm sure I'll like it better the next 7 or 8 times I read it.

P.S. I hate black people. Up with whitey.
Post Wed May 07, 2003 3:01 pm
Dee

Ooh, a smartass reply.
Post Wed May 07, 2003 4:16 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next