Search
Register
Paganism
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

firefly

Paganism  Reply with quote  

I've been reading a few things that have helped me put a few pieces of "the puzzle" together. It's one of those things where you slap yourself on the forehead once realizing it.

I've always had a strong distaste for religion until I learned about Buddhism, but when I tried practicing it, it just didn't feel right. The more I learn about Paganism on the other hand, the more it makes me think that this is right for me. I know this sounds ignorant (and I don't agree with this in all cases) but, I think it's best to "stay with your own tribe." And just because my parents aren't "Pagans" and I was not brought up as a Pagan, that doesn't mean that I'm going against what I just said about sticking to your own tribe because Paganism was practically destroyed.

"Paganism or the old religion was virtually wiped out by the church of Rome using a combination of propaganda, torture and genocide. Some people held on to the old religion. These were often the wisemen and women or Witches, the root 'wit' meaning 'wise'. The church became impatient and began a purge beginning around 1484 involving the burning of Witches and wholesale slaughter of thousands of people across Europe just on suspicion of being Witches. Not surprisingly, in the face of such oppression the old religion went 'underground' and Witches dedicated to preserving the religion formed themselves into secret groups called covens."

Another reason is because Paganism today is a very elusive term. Many forms of Paganism exist today; such Wicca, Druidism, and Shamanism. These are all NATURAL religions, just like what the aboriginals practiced. This is something I have been learning all my life (in school and by my Mom is is a quarter Iroquois.)

Here are some reasons why Paganism suites me so much: Pagans have no hierarchy like the established religions so Pagans are free to follow whatever spiritual path they choose, Pagans have no concept of sin and no Satan. So there is no hell to worry about either. They have their OWN values and ethics. And while the Bible is a book of rules for the Chirstians, Pagans believe that they are responsible for their own actions.

Soooo, starting this May I'm going to start to Practice some of the rituals and study some books on the subject (any suggestions would be wonderful.) Here are the ceremonies for all those who are interested:

"Samhain(pronounced "sowain"), 31st October: the feast of the dead; remembrance of ancestors and people, now dead, who were important to us. It marks the end of the Celtic year and the start of the spiritual new year. Also known as All Hallows day, the night before being All Hallows Eve (Halloween) or all souls night.

Yule, the winter solstice, 21st December approx.: rebirth of the sun and the gradual lengthening of the days towards springtime and new life.
Imbolc or Bride's day: start of spring and the return of the Goddess to the land.

Ostara (Easter), the spring equinox, 21st March: Return of the sun from the south, springtime proper. Some celebrate a holy union between God and Goddess.

Beltane (starting on May day): Summertime begins celebrating new life and the holy marriage of God and Goddess.
Midsomer (Midsummer) or Litha, the summer solstice, 21st June approx.: Everything is green thanks to the God of nature, the Green Man.
Lughnasadh or Lammas end of August: the festival of the first (corn) harvest.

Mabon, the Autumn equinox, 21st September approx.: second (fruit) harvest celebration, making plans for the winter months to come.

And finally back to Samhain and another turn of the wheel of the year. or wheel of life"
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:38 pm
Abduct0ne1

sounds cool, i wouldnt mind checking that out or finding out more about that
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:15 pm
hugh grants hooker

http://www.religioustolerance.org/paganism.htm

check that out. there should at least be tidbits of info that you will find useful.

just remember that if you're thinking about entering a religion you should first find out everything you can about it. also, every religion has multiple sects which practice very different things. you should simply be aware of which sect youre gettting into in any religion.

also, be aware that ANY religion you get into is gonna bring alot of arguements and debates your way. so learn all you can so that you dont end up looking dumb in a debate.

and EVERY religion is looked upon as evil by the vast majority of the people who arent a member of that religion. so dont take ignorance personally.

peace.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:23 pm

hatinphonies

ure onLy serchin for different religions because the one that ur parents thought u sets 2 many limits. when it comes 2 religion you can't believe in something , pick out the parts you like and ignore the ones you dont. I'm not passing judgment on what religion is better and which one isn't, but certainly am hencing the fact that no matter what religion it is its gonna set boundaries.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:56 pm
killedbysharks

why do you need to have a religion? that is one thing you left out there. You said it was cool and stuff, but i find it almost disturbing that you think you have to practice a religion. Im not dissing you or anything. I just really want to know what you think.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:03 am
Jesse

Quote:

"Samhain(pronounced "sowain"), 31st October: ... Also known as All Hallows day, the night before being All Hallows Eve (Halloween) or all souls night.

The night before Oct 31 is not Hallowe'en.

That's not important at all though. What I would like to point out is that capital "P" Paganism is a very modern invention, a synthesis of any number or combination of old ways from across the globe. It's a reactionary concept - Christians referred to the worshipping practises of ANY other sect as "pagan"... it hasn't been until relatively recently that some have sought to "reclaim" the term as the name of their faith, but it rarely works out properly.

I mean, that's not to say that it doesn't make some people feel good... which is fine... but every Neo-Pagan I've ever got into it with is just treating "faith" like it's a candy store... they browse the aisles and pick out what they fancy. That irks me. That's not how you learn truth.

Not that I personally believe in cosmic truth or anything at all, I'm personally a very satisfied atheist. But it defies all logic to just DECIDE to believe something you've seen no compelling evidence of.

Selecting an organized religion (which "Paganism" has been warped into, I guess) is gambling that some time, SOME group over history must have got it all worked out exactly right. I don't know why anyone would believe that if they were brought up in such a way as would give them any alternatives whatsoever, but you see it again and again.

Maybe I'm missing something.

I like drum circles though. As long as there's a minimum of ululating.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:16 am
duke_city

Jesse wrote:

Not that I personally believe in cosmic truth or anything at all, I'm personally a very satisfied atheist. But it defies all logic to just DECIDE to believe something you've seen no compelling evidence of.

You write that as if being an atheist is logical.

The defniition of faith is belief without proof, this includes atheists because they believe there is no supreme being WIHTOUT any proof just as others believe the existance of one.

Proof by induction is strengthened as confirming instances pile up. But we can never bring certainty unless every possible case is actually examined, in which case they become deductions but there is no way to view divinity in the mathematical manner so its useless.

Brian
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:43 am
Krang
THE ORC BREATH

Science is becoming philosophy and vice versa :)
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:06 am
hugh grants hooker

jesse - i think you should check out that link. most sects of paganism are very old.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:36 am

MessiahCarey

There is a giant man-eating frog down the street.

And it's illogical for anyone to tell me otherwise, because I truly beleive it's there. I heard someone else mention it, AND I read about it in a book.

Word.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:40 am
hugh grants hooker

what was that about?

to whom was it addressed?
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:42 am

emynd

Re: Paganism  Reply with quote  

[quote="FireFly"]Here are some reasons why Paganism suites me so much: Pagans have no hierarchy like the established religions so Pagans are free to follow whatever spiritual path they choose, Pagans have no concept of sin and no Satan. So there is no hell to worry about either. They have their OWN values and ethics. And while the Bible is a book of rules for the Chirstians, Pagans believe that they are responsible for their own actions.
[quote]

I'm a bit confused by your motives and/or intentions.

Why're you so interested in practicing a particular, named religion?

It seems like you have a pretty clear understanding of your beliefs and values and what not. I'm just a bit confused as to why you're going out of your way to label yourself "Pagan" and going out of your way to practice the holidays/celebrations, etc.

Isn't being human and believing what you believe enough?
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:52 am
barlow

Quote:

also, be aware that ANY religion you get into is gonna bring alot of arguements and debates your way. so learn all you can so that you dont end up looking dumb in a debate.

Oh, the irony ;)
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:54 am
hugh grants hooker

yes, i warned him. haha

but, i also said "Dont take the ignorance personally".

this still surprises me though. everyone has such strong feelings on religion.
its a natural thing, so why do people still question when someone seeks out a religion they feel more comfortable with? why do people still question the desire for religion at all? this is 2003! people should be used to it now.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:00 am

Reggie

http://www.uua.org/
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:00 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next