Search
Register
Strange Famous Forum
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Reggie

You and I simply disagree on one major point, RandomSurge. Your contention is that by making himself available, Sage invites unsolicited correspondence...or at least should deal with it. I contend that merely making one's contact information known is not an invitation to contect them. When a public company slights another entity in some way, a common recourse is to use their publicly available contact information to flood them with correspondence. Because it's fucking annoying. It takes time away from commiting nefarious deeds and spin doctoring and so it is a useful attack in some cases. If everyone that harassed Sage was his enemy, then it would be more sensible to me. But this is not the case--judging from the Strange Famous forum, many of them are fans.

I don't mean to be holier than thou about it. There was a time that I thought artists owed me something, too. I bought their album, listened to it over and over--so they should suck my dick as much as I suck theirs. But as I got older, I realized that artists are people--most often, socially inept, withdrawn people...for the most part, people I would not associate with if it were not for the coincidence that I like their creative output. So all I'm saying is that I am not baffled by some peoples' need to contact Sage and let him know how much they have affected them. It is not wrong for them to want to do this. It is, however, my belief that it is wrong to assume that he owes them a kind response. Like I say, this is where you and I disagree.

So let's agree to disagree, shall we? I'd like to give a shout out to the Practice Of Using Sage's Name In An Allegorical Sense As If He Is Not An Actual Human Being Reading These Forums Every Day, and I'd like to give a shout out to AOL Instant Messenger for basically getting the ball rolling. You and I do agree on one point, RandomSurge, which I have made before: Sage should not be in personal contact with his fanbase, it undermines his whole credibility. And creates threads like this.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:23 am
Nope

Reggie wrote:
You and I simply disagree on one major point, RandomSurge. Your contention is that by making himself available, Sage invites unsolicited correspondence...or at least should deal with it. I contend that merely making one's contact information known is not an invitation to contect them. When a public company slights another entity in some way, a common recourse is to use their publicly available contact information to flood them with correspondence. Because it's fucking annoying. It takes time away from commiting nefarious deeds and spin doctoring and so it is a useful attack in some cases.

are you telling me that you expect people to be rational? To use common sense? To not be annoying?

then I think the difference lies in the fact that I'm realistic as to the stupidity of people, knowing that that won't change any time soon, and yes, you do have to adapt accordingly

it sucks...but that's just how things are...

peace
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:29 am
Nope

Reggie wrote:
You and I do agree on one point, RandomSurge, which I have made before: Sage should not be in personal contact with his fanbase, it undermines his whole credibility. And creates threads like this.

indeed
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:31 am
name

Reggie wrote:
You and I do agree on one point, RandomSurge, which I have made before: Sage should not be in personal contact with his fanbase, it undermines his whole credibility. And creates threads like this.

sorry to interject, but thats one of the more ridiciulous things ive ever heard.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:14 am
Lazy Eyed Pea

I can't bear taking the time to read all these posts, so I hope no one's already said anything like mine... (heh) It's never the fault of the cocky ignorant teenager or of the overconfident rapper. Nor does the problem come from the differences between a rapper and his average fan. First, these kids should all know that there are probably hundreds like them wanting only to get a response from a famous rapper on instant messenger, why wouldn't your fifteen year old friends think higher of you if you had? For the same reason your miserable 'intellectual' internet forum legions enjoy seeing your cleverness sending said kids heads straight through their keyboards. Now, were he really a sage, Sage would probably know better than to waste his valuable rapper time picking on people not as intelligent or reputable as he for attempting to make personal gain of his valuable rapper time. But, we all know he's really no less insecure than the rest of us (you), so let's allow these kids' ego's to get destroyed by the little boy with the big hip-hop hat covering his fat phace. After all, it's not like anyone's doing anyone any real disrespect, all this internet bullshit is so that there aren't any real-world repercussions. Let the rapper smash the ball off the T and if the he who sets him up wants to cry about it he should have never done so in the first place. By the way, I'm only seventeen and I can't wait to get annhilated.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:03 am
pav

random surge.. comments like yours is what almost convinced sage to shut down this board..

because there are a few ( or many) idiots, is that the "smart thing to do"?

shutup.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:56 pm
Nope

pav wrote:
random surge.. comments like yours is what almost convinced sage to shut down this board..

because there are a few ( or many) idiots, is that the "smart thing to do"?

shutup.

if you are so enlightened, then please tell me what the "smart thing to do" is. The status quo doesn't seem too peachy to me...unless of course sage is masochistic...which I doubt

and if my comments bothered sage he would have said something by now...or locked the thread...or banned me. It's HIS forum after all...he usually doesn't let let discussions go any longer than what he deems "necessary"

he's obviously mature enough to see that I'm simply expressing my opinions...at least one would hope so (or he hasn't been on here in a bit). This is what this forum is all about, isn't it? expressing opinions? Must all opinions be 100% PRO everything sage does?

and if he shuts down the board?

good for him

ps. locking the thread soon wouldn't be a bad idea
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:23 pm
pav

you were implying that the smart thing to do in such a situation is to "cut all ties".. your words not mine
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:26 pm
Nope

pav wrote:
you were implying that the smart thing to do in such a situation is to "cut all ties".. your words not mine

if he cut all ties...then he wouldn't have much of a fan base, would he?

I simply suggested a little availability "reform" due to the things posted on the strange famous forum

though the issue is tired now (I think 4 pages is enough), and I really don't care anymore

sage will do whatever the fuck he wants. I simply voiced my opinion on something that didn't seem right to me.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:32 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Random Surge,
You are wrong on a few counts. Just because I don't comment or shut the discussion down doesn't mean I dig what's being said. You have said some funny, funny shit. that's all. If I cut off all ties, my fanbase would not fizzle out. Lots of people JUST want the music and nothing else. I love those people. Aren't you the one who agreed that I would be smart to be disconnected from my fanbase? My credibility gets shot by posting messages on a forum.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:00 am
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

Sage Francis wrote:
Random Surge,
You are wrong on a few counts. Just because I don't comment or shut the discussion down doesn't mean I dig what's being said. You have said some funny, funny shit. that's all. If I cut off all ties, my fanbase would not fizzle out. Lots of people JUST want the music and nothing else. I love those people. Aren't you the one who agreed that I would be smart to be disconnected from my fanbase? My credibility gets shot by posting messages on a forum.

To imply that you wouldnt have any fans if you didnt have this site is idiotic.
I didnt know anything about this site for along time and still listened to your music and so did a couple of my friends and it didnt have shit to do with a message board. I really dont know what surge's problem is.
The credibility issue is a joke as well..that is all..post some random im's so these babies can have a hissy fit
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:37 am
Nope

Sage Francis wrote:
Random Surge,

he said cutting ALL TIES

if you do that, then you wouldn't make music for people anymore

("I don't make music for people, I make it for myself, and whoever likes it cool")

you're still putting it out there so that people can buy it...that's a tie to the consumer...to your fanbase

eventually, you wouldnt' have a fanbase anymore...just people that listened to this really cool dude a long time ago

I NEVER SAID YOU SHOULD CUT ALL TIES...that is what somebody thought I IMPLIED

Reggie and me agreed on THIS:

"Sage should not be in personal contact with his fanbase"

nowhere did I say you should cut all ties...then you wouldn't be making music for me to listen to
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:58 am
Nope

RandomSurge wrote:

I simply suggested a little availability "reform" due to the things posted on the strange famous forum

the "reform" was referring to the IM thing, which I said 50 million times could be avoided

where did I ever say sage should cut all ties to his fanbase?

not being available to his fans on instant messanger doesn't mean he's cutting all ties or he's never going to communicate with his fans ever again...what's the website there for then? What's the news section there for then? Isn't it to keep people up to date with what you're doing?

I don't understand how the IM thing (and eventually not being a constant presence on the forum) evolved to "cutting all ties"
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:03 pm
rlorg

question  Reply with quote  

Ok. So i'm relatively new to this whole scene. I bought sage's cd on a whim cuz i had just bought float and the guy at the record store said if i like aesop i'd probably like this guy sage francis, i had never heard of him/you (wierd that i'm talking about someone whose music comes out of my stereo like this and even weirder that he/you will probably read this), but obviously personal journals blew my mind. i mean there's tracks on that cd that make me cry. some of it just hits so close to home its incredible. so i have this cd, from this guy that obviously should have been known to me already and so i do a internet search on him just to see what i come up with and up pops the cats screenname!!?? huh? so i says to myself, this i gotta see, so i im him. he ignores me, which i kinda expected, then throws up this away message talking about the non-prophets forum and so here i am. and my question is after that long-winded explanation is twofold:

1) who do i contact about booking? i go to a school in northern vt and i'm real active in political stuff, and i'm trying to organize a benefit type concert at a local venue. The Snowboarding club, of all the things, did it earlier this year with atmosphere and it went really well and so i want to do it but to benefit something a little more important than a snowboarding trip (no offense, ridings cool i do it, i don't wanna get in one of these forum battles i been reading about) and i think sage's better than slug (asskissing) just kidding i've just already seen atmosphere, so really its a selfish thing...so who do i talk to about that shit?
2) if sage does read this, maybe he could answer this question too...what is this like? i don't know if you've talked about this other places on the site, but what is it like having people going to a website to talk purely about you and the art you create? its gotta be tough not to develop a massive ego, which from what i've read about you you don't seem to have developed. Maybe you have though. If you have, maybe you could talk about what it's like to have developed a massive ego. I'm just really interested in that perspective. If not though, then whatever...
Post Fri May 02, 2003 10:36 pm
Lazy Eyed Pea

Lazy Eyed Pea wrote:
wanting only to get a response from a famous rapper... why wouldn't your fifteen year old friends think higher of you if you had? For the same reason your miserable 'intellectual' internet forum legions enjoy seeing your cleverness... Sage would probably know better than to waste his valuable rapper time picking on people not as intelligent or reputable as he for attempting to make personal gain of his valuable rapper time. But, we all know he's really no less insecure than the rest of us (you), so let's allow these kids' ego's to get destroyed by the little boy with the big hip-hop hat covering his phat face...By the way, I'm only seventeen and I can't wait to get annhilated.

I quoted myself.

What.
Post Sun May 04, 2003 12:52 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next