Search
Register
donnie darko
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

triptik

requiem was funny!!!!
i thought it was a comedy the whole time!

white boyz is great. fightclub was aiight.

donnie darko was fine. it's made cheap so it looked cheap. made in real time too: the story happens over 28 days and it was shot in 28days. it was a nice break from regular hollywood.

have any of you seen the movie "a pure formality" (une pure formalitť is the original tittle) it's a french film made in 94. it has depardieu and roman polanski as the main characters. it's great and you should REALLY see it.
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:10 am
Paul Fava

emynd wrote:
fight club is great. eff the haters.

I don't think there is much debating the greatness of Fight Club (then again, i guess there is because this post is a debate of its greatness). Certainly one of the best movies of the 90's. HOWEVER, when I watched it about a month ago I realized that it was uber-hip, perhaps more then it needs to be. It definitely has an aura of self-importance.
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:28 am
futuristxen

I used to like fight club a lot. It's one of my friends favorite movies. But I think it was after 9/11 that it just seemed really juvinile to me. I don't think it really has anything to say. It's just hyperstylized and takes itself too seriously--or maybe other people take it too seriously. I prefer Se7en, because it's just as good and better as a film and it doesn't have the pretensiosness of preaching at you per se.

I like stupid coen brothers movies and frank capra sentimental crap.
Hopefully that will discredit me enough so that you can go back to enjoying these 3 movies.
Like I said, I think Donnie Darko is actually pretty good, but it's not that good. It's a good rental. You can talk about it with the people you watch it with. But it's not monumental. I think for the most part people want to talk about it because it's not mainstream, but actually nearly everybody on these message boards has seen it and commented on it ad nauseam.
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:28 pm
Mojo the helper monkey

I fail to see how liking the Coen brothers could discredit anyone from anything. They are some of the most consistently dope filmmakers around.

I too, prefer Se7en to Fight Club (not to take anything away from Fight Club), but there are very very few things I can find in Se7en that I don't like. Fight Club bothers me in some ways. I don't like some of the rabid fans who only seem to like it for it's "hipness" and violence, completely missing the theme.
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:16 pm
Paul Fava

I also watched Se7en about a month ago, which is only the second time I've watched it. It's well made like all Fincher movies, but the story isn't as gripping when you know what is going to happen.

Re: the Coen's. They consistently make really good films and occasionally classic films (Barton Fink and Fargo). Of their 9 films, O Brother Where Art Thou is the only one I didn't love. So yeah, you have to respect the Coen's.
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:35 pm
futuristxen

We should turn this into a coen brothers thread. I think Barton Fink is the only one I haven't seen all of. I saw Raising Arizona for the first time the other night, great movie obvsiouly. And Miller's Crossing I think may have their best dialogue of any of their movies, which says a helluva lot.

Big Lebowski is my favorite movie. All of that said. I think aside from just making great movies, the main thing I like about the Coen bros is that they seem to be interested in the same type of old films that I like. I really like the old noir films--Big Sleep is one of my favorite movies, and Lebowski is basically their homage to movies like the Big Sleep, amongst other things.

Miller's Crossing seemed to be the Maltese Falcon of their movies.

And Blood Simple...good god, those guys have always known what they were doing.

The Coen Brothers do things right, in my book.
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:54 pm
Krang
THE ORC BREATH

I think you guys are taking fight club way to seriously... sure it comments on our capitalist consumer society, but it also majorly focuses on just how fucked up tyler durden is.

If you compare it to your 'underground' meaningful arty movies that you love to name drop then sure it might seem juvenile, but the fact is its fast paced, it has a fuckin good story, its extremely entertaining, great characters and acting... especially edward norton, a good twist, and some nice quotes to take from the fuckin good dialogue.
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:09 pm
Paul Fava

Krang wrote:
I think you guys are taking fight club way to seriously... sure it comments on our capitalist consumer society, but it also majorly focuses on just how fucked up tyler durden is.

If you compare it to your 'underground' meaningful arty movies that you love to name drop then sure it might seem juvenile, but the fact is its fast paced, it has a fuckin good story, its extremely entertaining, great characters and acting... especially edward norton, a good twist, and some nice quotes to take from the fuckin good dialogue.

I mean, I agree. I don't think the movie asserts that Druden is admirable, which I think a lot of hardcore fans don't seem to realize. I think the movie makes him out to be a facist. Nothing good is going to come of what he's doing. He says no one is special and that we are all just the rotting shit of the land (something like that), when in fact he is treated as an icon and as being special himself.

That said, I still think the movie takes itself too seriously. But yo, I did say it was one of the best films of the 90's, so I can't give it much more praise than that.
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:12 pm
daniel door

i think requiem for a dream and pi were way over directed they were just meant to look cool and totally lacked in the story and acting department especially in pi.i couldnt give two shits about the character in requiem not because they were assholes or morons but because they had no personalities it was like hey we've got addiction problems but it sure looks cool when we suffer from them.both pi and requiem are narrative films but they aren't narrated very well i think both films are just really long music videos at heart.
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:40 pm
futuristxen

Paul Fava wrote:

I did say it was one of the best films of the 90's, so I can't give it much more praise than that.

Clerks
Chasing Amy
Big Lebowski
Magnolia
Boogie Nights
LA Confidential
Unforgiven
Royal Tennenbaums
Bottle Rocket
Rushmore
Goodfellas
Schindlerís List
Pulp Fiction
Usual Suspects
Silence of the Lambs
Se7en
The Matrix
Saving Private Ryan
The Thin Red Line
Reservoir Dogs
Fargo
Hard Boiled
Braveheart
Shawshank Redemption
Glengarry GlenRoss
Amelie

I think all of these movies from the 90's are better than fight club.

Do I have an unhealthy hatred for the movie fight club? Yes probably. I actually own the dvd. And I have listened to all the commentary tracks. I used to like this movie, but it doesn't stand the test of time. because it frankly...it's not very good. :-)

And people need to stop fucking quoting it. The answers to your lifes problems are not in a movie starring brad pitt.(who is from springfield missouri....holla!)
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:41 pm
Mojo the helper monkey

[quote="futuristxen"]
Paul Fava wrote:

Glengarry GlenRoss

It's impossible to feel anything but love for this movie. Does anyone have that special edition dvd that was released recently? Is it worth getting?
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:05 pm
Paul Fava

futuristxen wrote:
Paul Fava wrote:

I did say it was one of the best films of the 90's, so I can't give it much more praise than that.

Clerks
Chasing Amy
Big Lebowski
Magnolia
Boogie Nights
LA Confidential
Unforgiven
Royal Tennenbaums
Bottle Rocket
Rushmore
Goodfellas
Schindlerís List
Pulp Fiction
Usual Suspects
Silence of the Lambs
Se7en
The Matrix
Saving Private Ryan
The Thin Red Line
Reservoir Dogs
Fargo
Hard Boiled
Braveheart
Shawshank Redemption
Glengarry GlenRoss
Amelie

That's a good list, except that two of your movies were released in 2000 :wink: I can't really disagree with anything on it (haven't seen Hard Boiled, Glengarry, or Bottle Rocket), but I still thing Fight Club is better than most of the stuff mentioned. Ok, maybe it is immature to some people, but you cannot front on the fact that it's very VERY well made...My top ten from the 90's in no order.

Magnolia
Happiness
Pulp Fiction
Fight Club
Goodfellas
Barton Fink
Fargo
Schindlerís List
The Matrix
The People vs. Larry Flynt
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:09 pm
Paul Fava

[quote="Paul Fava"]
futuristxen wrote:
Paul Fava wrote:

Clerks
Chasing Amy
Big Lebowski
Magnolia
Boogie Nights
LA Confidential
Unforgiven
Royal Tennenbaums
Bottle Rocket
Rushmore
Goodfellas
Schindlerís List
Pulp Fiction
Usual Suspects
Silence of the Lambs
Se7en
The Matrix
Saving Private Ryan
The Thin Red Line
Reservoir Dogs
Fargo
Hard Boiled
Braveheart
Shawshank Redemption
Glengarry GlenRoss
Amelie

That's a good list, except that two of your movies were released in 2000 (heh). But yeah, I can't really disagree with anything on it (haven't seen Hard Boiled, Glengarry, or Bottle Rocket), but I still think Fight Club is better than most of the stuff mentioned. Ok, maybe it is immature to some people, but you cannot front on the fact that it's very VERY well made...My top ten from the 90's in no order.

Magnolia
Happiness
Pulp Fiction
Fight Club
Goodfellas
Barton Fink
Fargo
Schindlerís List
The Matrix
The People vs. Larry Flynt
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:12 pm
Reason

futuristxen wrote:
I used to like fight club a lot. It's one of my friends favorite movies. But I think it was after 9/11 that it just seemed really juvinile to me. I don't think it really has anything to say. It's just hyperstylized and takes itself too seriously--or maybe other people take it too seriously. I prefer Se7en, because it's just as good and better as a film and it doesn't have the pretensiosness of preaching at you per se.

Fight club is not intended to be that serious of a film. It is a Dark Comedy which proves how ridiculous American culture is. I feel that it is very poignant, and thought provoking, as well as incredibly executed. I don't necessarily like the preaching part as much, but it really does make you think what is important to you and why. It seems to me almost a paralleled version of Buddhism. It is a great film.
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:17 pm
futuristxen

[quote="Mojo the helper monkey"]
futuristxen wrote:
Paul Fava wrote:

Glengarry GlenRoss

It's impossible to feel anything but love for this movie. Does anyone have that special edition dvd that was released recently? Is it worth getting?

Yeah that's the version I have. It's got a lot of stuff on it. Everytime I hear the word leads, I think of the glengarry leads. Goodamn it's a good movie. Pacino, Jack Lemon,Kevin Spacey, Ed Harris...and that speech from Alec Baldwin. It's a 2-disc set.

And in other news, yeah I know fight club is a dark comedy. I also know that too many people who watch it don't get that and still have it as a favorite movie.

It's such a poor stepchild to The Graduate(which Ed Norton wanted it to be really badly if you listen to him rattle on about it in the commentary).

I think at it's heart the movie is really just a love story. But it does a poor job of conveying that. It's hilarious that some of the fans of this movie adopt the ethos of Tyler Durden and become like the space monkeys that the movie is making fun of!(This isn't directed at anyone here per se, My best friend loves this movie so I'm used to argueing about it.)

A few more movies that come to mind:
Leaving Las Vegas
Twelve Monkeys

Paul Fava: Nice list. Fight Club excluded ;-)
Bottle Rocket is a must see if you liked Tennenbaums and Rushmore--same director, same cast. Hard Boiled is John Woo's last film he made before coming over to hollywood. I personally like the Killer more, but their might be more bullets in Hard Boiled--if you like action at all it's a must see.
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:32 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next