Search
Register
New Non-Prophecy Part 1
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

JOEYBEATS

New Non-Prophecy Part 1  Reply with quote  

Ghetto Celeb Samba

By popular demand the non-prophecy is back. FYI: I'm not gassed; I understand this is not in accordance with a new wave of demand to hear from the one and only guy behind the guy. Our message board has suffered of recent and I'll do my best to spark some conversation with the latest installment. There are a lot of little things I feel the need to address that all fall into the facets of one main category: Ghetto Celebrity. In other words, the world through the eyes of Joe Beats since my last addition to the archive.

Part 1

First off, I want to begin by stating I'm the most misunderstood person on the planet. I know that sounds a little egotistical but I've been known to embelish certain points of the plot for the better of the story. For those who frequent the message board, I can only imagine what you must think of me. Mostly, I'm referring to those times when I've complained about not getting mine and the constant blind perpetuation of what I used to call the Joe Beats Conspiracy. Let's get right into it.
Scenario 1: I'm covering a spot on WRIU. The show went ok -who cares? After Hip Hop slot which runs from 3 to 6 pm, the folk show comes on next. Luckily for me, I'm covering on a Monday which means I'm preceding the biggest ball buster on staff Chuck Wentworth. I haven't seen or spoke with Chuck in a couple of months and -the first thing after hello, says: "Saw your name in the journal." I say, "yeah man, cool eh?" (very happy and proud) Then he lifts his hand in front of my ever present nose, places his index finger and thumb about 2 centimeters apart, and ends off with: "And you only had this much. What the hell is going on?" This time around I keep my cool because I understand a few things: 1) Chuck has a weird way of joking by getting under people's skin and 2) the article was about Sage's accomplishments; not ours, so why the hell would I get any more than "this much"?
Scenario 2: I drive home, open the door to see my brother and one of his friends (one of mine as well) eating some of the 6 lb bass they caught in Jamestown a few nights before.
-"Hey Joe, I saw the article in the journal."
-"Yeah man, cool eh?" (very happy and proud)
-"Yeah man, I wanted more though."
-"What do you mean?
-"Well, I thought you guys were a group."
Of course I go on to explain everything and, in the end, all is well; he understands why the article didn't have "more".
Scenario 3: I call my my father up to ask him for -yet again- another favor among the many that allow me to continue being Joe Beats: the producer for Sage Francis.
-"Hey dad, did you see the journal?"
-"Oh yeah...it was good, you weren't in much of it but it was good."
A lot of people in my life extend me much more leeway than they should because they see I have an opportunity to do something most people don't. On some level, they respect I'm all in and they want to help. When it's your folks, no matter how logical your thoughts on the situation are or not, it starts to hit home. Although...
my head is screwed on properly this time around. I know the situation, most don't, and I'm still proud for myself and -especially- my main man. All I ask is to take it easy on me; I'm new at this shit. Sometimes things don't have to make sense to upset you. Most times when you're upset, you're not thinking too clearly - I know I don't anyway. It's hard to walk down the street and have people look at you as if you're getting beat in some silly contest to establish your talent -especially when the person you're supposedly racing is your friend and musical partner. Females are the BEST at being sublte about it; quit it. Piss off. Scram. I'm not losing. Sage had an opportunity to record his solo stuff first and he took it. It's just not my time yet and I have to wait. (very happy and proud)

I'll be back with parts 2 and 3 later on in the day.

Joe.
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 11:48 am

Jump to: