Search
Register
Why do y'all give a fuck about "hip-hop"?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Reggie

Random Surge is rocking this thread to its foundations.

What some people don't seem to account for is that most people in the world don't own more than 10 lp's in any genre. Most of the world listens to music mostly for ceremonial purposes, and a large majority listens to music as a distraction from mundane tasks. So all this "hip-hop is dying" stuff is about as relevant as wet mud.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:00 am
Random Sample

True that reggie. I think Random Surge is right. I am not arguing about that. It is just a jagged pill to swallow. It is like you have this prized piece of art that was painted with such mastery and a kid comes along with some finger paint and fucks it all up. Then you are left with memories of how that painting used to be so great and how someone with no respect for that piece of art came along and fucked it up for you. I guess sage's joke about how many hip hop kids does it take to screw in a light bulb fits in with me here.

But my friend dose noun said something to me this weekend that really got me thinking. He said when someone asks you what the best year for hip hop is he says that it was 2003. Because hip hop just gets better every year. And the quality of music is always getting better.

And if you think about the wide array of hip hop music that there is today you can always find something that you like. I listen to albums being released now that will be classics. So I am just going to go into my own little world and listen to what I want and ignore everything that I don't like about hip hop, or any other of genre of music that I listen to. But I don't really listen to that much new music anyways. hip hop and a few other things are about the only new things I listen to. I listen to soul/jazz/funk/rock form the 60's and 70's more now that I am getting older.

oh and Reggie Wet Mud is very relevent it is for chicks in bikinis to wrestle in. Snoogans
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:32 am
Prontoid

the thing is......no matter how much YOU know theres always gonna be someone else who has greater knowledge on a particular subject.....its almost human nature to clown someone who is interested in something but knows less than oneself.....i know im guilty of this.....

but at the end of the day....who really cares........reggie and others pretty much summed up my stance......

peace
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:50 am
Self-Ostracized

threads like this make me depressed.....really
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:40 am
Shylax

I have a problem with the tone of this topic. Nevermind that its the same tired, elitist topic over and over again. Like cedric the Entertainer always says, I'm a grown ass man. Born and raised in the Bronx since 1970 (you do the math). Hiphop is all I've ever known. It was just around me. I walk out on the street and see cats breaking, in cyphers, cars driving by blasting it. I nor anyone I know in my age group are this elitist about it, so why are you? Why the need to prove how hiphop you are?

If I wanted to take it there, CFL, I guarantee you in B.C. Canada have not experienced hiphop like me, an actual Bronx resident growing up in the 70's, teenager in the 80's, and twentysomething in the 90's. But i wouldn't come at you like that. I'm happy you feeling the music and would vibe on who you like and who I like. I don't feel the need to prove I'm down and you nor anyone else would have to prove their down either.

You throw out De La is Dead. But do you know how ill the streets were when Red Alert first hit us off with 'Plug Tunin'? You say cats ran to get 36 Chambers after C.R.E.A.M. No. Wu sold the Protect Ya Neck/Method Man single that got the whole city open and fiending for the release of 36 Chambers just like 50's mixtapes got cats fiending for his album. 'Can't Trust it'? Have you any clue how the city wasn't feeling P.E. that much with 'Public Enemy #1' but then lost our collective minds when 'Rebel without a Pause' and ' Don't Beleive the Hype' dropped and blew them up.
What about how crazy it was when 'Eric B for President' first dropped and everybody would stop what they're doing and start doing the wop?

There's shit I could share with you but I'd never hold it over you're head cause i realize I'm older and I was there and you weren't. It's not your fault. But I'd share cause you like it and are interested. Why would I hold it against you?

Quote:

I find it hard to take someone seriously that doesn't know public enemy songs, or doesn't know the words to big daddy kane's ain't no half steppin.

What kind of thinking is that? There was way more hiphop before P.E. or Kane. What If I said I can't take anyone seriously who couldn't spit a rhyme
from Crash Crew or Treacherous Three? That elitist bullshit is a joke. I'm sorry. You can't listen to old stuff that you weren't around for or read history then define what hiphop is or isn't. Like Robin Williams told Damon in Good Will Hunting 'You may have studied Every book on Vietnam, but if you weren't there you will never completely know'.

I find you elitists so damn funny and I want to big up Messiah for dropping the Adidas lyrics. Hiphop evolves but shit still remains the same in some senses. Older cats you big up are very similar to the newer cats you hate on. You hate the materialism?

"I'm Big Bad Hank and I'm on the mic
And I'm dressed to the tee
You see I rock more gold than Muhammad Ali
And I dress so viciously
I got bodyguards, I got two big cars
That definitely ain't the wack
I got a Lincoln Continental and
a sunroof Cadillac
So after school, I take a dip in the pool
which is really off the wall
I got a color T.v so I can see
The Knicks play basketball"

That's from the FIRST rap record "Rapper's Delight".

If you don't like the current artists, that's cool. I don't like some of them myself. But don't hate on kids that do. And don't try to get nostalgic on heads cause I'm pretty sure I can out-nostalgia all of you. But I wouldn't. Cause I'm happy hiphop reached B.C, Canada and all the other places it has. Don't hate, educate. Put cats on to both new and old stuff without care of their 'downness'.

Hihop's a culture that outside forces can't destroy. How do I know? I just look out my window. Regardless of if rap sells a million or 2 copies. Shit here in the B.X is going to be the same. Same music, dancing, dress, talk, style. Same hiphop. So a couple of suburban kids thinking Em started hiphop or whatever isn't going to kill my hood. Why get upset? I'l just school if he wants schooling. If not, do you, I'll do me.

This whole elitism in hiphop is fruitless and needs to go.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:22 am
Reggie

Actually, the first rap record is Fatback's "King Tim III (Personality Jock)" by exactly three weeks.

The trivia is true, but the sentiment is meant to be humorous. Eat 'em up L, chill...
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:28 am
Shylax

I meant the first rap record on radio. My bad.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:31 am
Reggie

Shylax wrote:
I meant the first rap record on radio. My bad.

Fatback's record was on the radio, too. In fact, "King Tim III" dropped as a B-side in February of 1979, then as an A-side in early October, and "Rappers Delight" was late October. So Fatback's song technically had almost a full year to blow before "Rappers Delight." It didn't, and so the point is that the first rap record to have an impact was "Rappers Delight." I made the comment, though, more as a joke than anything else.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:37 am
Shylax

Fat back song wasn't on the radio like Rapper's Delight...

WKTU used to play it like 6-8 times an hour dog. When that record came out it was a disco song, then rapper's delight, a love song, then rapper's delight, a dance song, then rapper's delight....

Trust me
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:43 am
Shylax

You're probably right and no beef but I vividly remember the frequency with which R.D was played. Me and my friends laugh when someone complains Nelly or someone gets mad airtime because we remember R.D's airtime.

Haha
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:44 am
Nope

the full version gets so fucking annoying nowadays...(rapper's delight)

I think it's something like 14 minutes long...

at 10 minutes, I'm usually like "aight...enough of this hippitihop"

:D
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:49 am
Shylax

^^hahahaha

I remember I was 8 or something and my Mom took my shopping with her. We parked the car when the song was finally over. We went into the store for newspaper or something and came out. Had to be two minutes tops. She turns on the car and those cowbells came on. My mom turned off the radio, they were playing it so much..
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:52 am
DJ JON

renegades for this atomic age
this is atomic age for re-ne-gades
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:55 am
Emseeyi

hiphop is for pussies.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:14 pm
Random Sample

I know all of the older jams like Sugarhill and GMF and the Furious Five and Treacherous Three songs, but I just used PE and Kane because those are my favorites.

I am not saying that I am more hip hop than the next person. I could care less. I just wish people wouldn't ignore the past when it comes to hip hop. I try to school new jacks on some shit, but it always fails. I don't question someone's downess with hip hop if they can't recite some lines from ain't no half steppin. I just don't like the people who are like that shit sucks, but did you hear the new fabulous joint though. They just piss on my music that is dear to me. but like you said shylax
Quote:

I'l just school if he wants schooling. If not, do you, I'll do me
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:37 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next