Search
Register
somewhat relevent PoMo "Inherited Scars" quote
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

icarus502
kung-pwn master

somewhat relevent PoMo "Inherited Scars" quote  Reply with quote  

"If, then the passion for the Real ends up in the pure semblance of the spectacular effect of the Real, then, an exact inversion, the 'postmodern' passion for the semblance ends up in a violent return to the passion for the Real. Take the phenomenon of 'cutters' (people, mostly women, who experience an irresistible urge to cut themselves with razors or otherwise hurt themselves); this is strictly parallel to the virtualization of our environment: it represents a desperate strategy to return to the Real of the body. As such, cutting must be contrasted with normal tattooed inscriptions on the body, which guarantee the subject's inclusion in the (virtual) symbolic order -- the problem with cutters, is the opposite one, namely, the assertion of reality itself. Far from being suicidal, far from indicating a desire for self-annihilation, cutting is a radical attempt to (re)gain a hold on reality, or (another aspect of the same phenomenon) to ground the ego firmly in bodily reality, against the unbearable anxietyof perceiving oneself as nonexistent. Cutters usually say that wonce they see the warm red blood flowing out of the self-inflicted wound, they feel alive again, firmly rooted in reality. So although, of course cutting is a pathological phenomenon, it is none the less a pathological attempt at regaining some kind of normality..." [bold emphasis mine] - Slavoj Zizek Welcome to the Desert of the Real
Post Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:14 pm
futuristxen

jesus. that's a long roundabout way to just say that folks cut themselves so that they feel alive or real. Really you only have to ask people like that to find that out.

I don't understand why you bolded the parts that you did. Mind explaining?

"cutters" makes it sound like some sort of social cult movement, when its really a very personal thing done out of a feeling of some level of isolation.
Post Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:21 pm
Nope

I think this might be referring to

"Next time you want to paint with razor blades and need a canvas use my skin. /"
Post Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:24 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

futuristxen wrote:

I don't understand why you bolded the parts that you did. Mind explaining?

oh, i know the typical message board reader has an incredibly short attention span. i bolded the parts that most directly touched on similar themes as those in "inherited scars" for those without the patience to read the entire passage (which, i should add, i don't really think is so amazing).
Post Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:27 pm
hugh grants hooker

i liked it.

thanks icarus.
Post Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:32 pm

Jump to: