Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Neil Young, Paul Simon
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

mortalthoughts
LAME KID

you guys need to leave the kiddie bickering at school  Reply with quote  

Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:20 pm
Dee

Naw man, I'm the only one who does. Its never Hugh. He's jesus.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:41 pm
hugh grants hooker

scroll up fucknuts.

you directed a rude statement at me and interupted a nice little debate we had going.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:09 pm

Jesse

Christ, not only are you repeating an apocryphal anecdote like it was absolute historical fact instead of typical starstruck hyperbole... YOU'RE NOT EVEN TALKING ABOUT REVERB.

YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT FEEDBACK. Feedback often RESULTS from reverb being received by pickups and recycled, but they are not synonyms.

I remember before when you admitted to arguing for the hell of it on this board. Are you doing that now? Given your apparently extremely limited understanding of any particular aspect of the subject matter, your high-horse demeanor is pretty fucking inappropriate. I'd imagine I've read at least as much as you have on the topic of The Beatles and rock history, but if you'd care to give a proper citation of a source that backs up your clumsy ideas, please do so. Shit, even a webpage would be a start.

Just because you say something over and over again doesn't make it true (or at all convincing)... especialyl when you say it wrong.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:37 pm
hugh grants hooker

beatles anthology dvd box set.

they all speak on the 'discovery'.

now shut up. you got your source.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:41 pm

Jesse

I don't remember that from the original broadcast... maybe it's in the other 81 minutes somewhere. I need to get that, I loved that series.

But anyway, it may indeed be that they themselves say that. They were and are not neccessarily by any means terribly sophisticated scholars of music production and its history. Just because they made something feed back for the first time they ever heard it doesn't make them the first.

Even if they did introduce guitar feedback to a musical context, you still need to put mustard on the word "reverb" and EAT IT.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:55 pm
hugh grants hooker

haha... keep suckin it. you asked for a source and i gave it to you.
now you discredit the source.

fuck hole.
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:01 am

bobbythebear

[quote="hugh grants hooker"]bobbythebear--- no I AM the one saying that paul IS genius. i just said that playing a guitar upside down or with your teeth doesnt make you genius. no more genius than that kid in every frat who does that shit at parties.

I'll bet you were reader of the month at your school, pal. It doesnt matter that he is not the only one to play upside down or with his teeth . . . the point is he convinced the whole fucking world that he was an original article, a once in a lifetime. and he didnt need to collaborate with new wave popstars to do it. people killed themselves for him. all forms of music pay homage to him. Miles Davis was in awe of him. but of course, we're all "inside the box", so the view up there must be muuuch clearer.
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:21 am
hugh grants hooker

bobbythebear wrote:
and he didnt need to collaborate with new wave popstars to do it.

holy shit. you just showed your ignorance.

so your saying the beatles were popstars? okay, we all know that.

so you saying that hendrix didnt collab? ha ha

hendrix opened his shows with Sgt pepper, he used the beatles reverb techniques, he played guitar upside down like paul, he even asked the beatles on stage at one of his shows to sing with him. he wanted to be a fuckin beatle.

... if you want to check sources again, yes i have audio from the show hendrix and the beatles together.

he didnt convince the whole world of anything. he convinced his followers who refuse to listen to the fact that his shit lacks any rhythm in the solos, and has more distortion than actual music. its wack.

its all recorded and sounding like shit.
its like if sage made an album with a computer mic and a fan blowing air on the mic. then if someone complained about the shitty sound he said "no, no. i'm just using the hissing and popping as an instrument. even though its without harmony or rhythm".

fuck him and fuck you for putting him in the same mental picture as the beatles.
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:31 am

futuristxen

about Hendrix opening with Sgt. Peppers I found an account of someone who watched a Hendrix concert open in this manner, they wrote:

"Most of the people there had never even heard his music before coming to the concert! The word had gotten around the freak community that you HAD to go see this guy who could really play guitar! He plugged in his guitar and the Experience began to play "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band -- Reprise" (from the second side of the Beatles album of the same name...the fast-paced version which begins with the rapid count-off...1, 2, 3, 4, etc.). The general crowd reaction was almost one of disinterest..."Ho hum, another Beatles imitator!"

Little did the crowd know that Hendrix traveled with a studio mixing engineer, who was seated just below stage level, in what would have been the "orchestra pit" of a traditional theater. After finishing his bombastic version of "Sgt. Pepper", Jimi launched into a full-fledged performance of almost the ENTIRE "Experienced?" album, beginning with an ultra-sonic "Purple Haze". The crowd was completely mesmerized, to say the least!"

I think one has to keep in context that at the time everyone was biting the beatles and they were bigger than jesus...So Jimi was freakin with that. It would be like Sage opening with a cover of a Jay-Z song.

Besides I thought we decided the beach boys beat out the beatles? ;-)
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:09 am
hugh grants hooker

he wasnt freakin with anything. he was (just like everyone else) wanting to be a beatle.

no the beach boys suck balls. the fuckin monkees were better than the beach boys.

; )
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:18 pm

Dee

I don't know how you can say Jimi wanted to be like the beatles.

He doesn't even sound like them, remotely...compeletely different.

If you don't like Jimi, fine...I haven't listened to him since High School.

But you have to appreciate what he's done for music.
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:23 pm
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

Ye  Reply with quote  

Jimi didn't consistenly cover Beatles tunes as you implied. As the story goes, Paul was watching him perform one night recently after Sgt. Peppers was released, and as a sign of respect Jimi, having already learned much of the album, covered some of the songs.

Jesse is right about reverb.
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:47 pm
hugh grants hooker

check your rock history.

during an entire tour he opened with 'sgt pepper' at every show.

and i gave you a source about reverb, check it and then reply.
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:35 pm

futuristxen

I think what Hellen Earth was saying is that he didn't solely cover Beatles tunes, he merely played the sgt. pepper song, but it wasn't because he was trying to be a beatle immitator. As I showed with that account, he was messing with people, people were like "oh. he's just another beatles immitator"(much like you oddly enough) and then he would go into his shit and blow the doors off the joint.

And obviously he would do it for an entire tour if it was part of his set--it was part of his act, just like I said.

I don't understand how you could have listened to his music as you say you have, and think that it sounded like he was biting the beatles. How is something like Red House anything like the beatles? Hendrix sounds more like John Lee Hooker than John Lennon and his boys, bub. Hendrix started out playing with Little Richard, the ISley Brothers, and King Curtis.

I think Hendrix was probably influenced somewhat by the beatles(it would be hard not to coming out in the time he did) but I don't see how you could list that as his chief influence. I could see you getting mad if you were a robert johnson fan or something, but I just don't see how liking the beatles equates hating Jimi Hendrix and not respecting his unreal abilities on the guitar.

The fact of the matter is, when people talk about the guitar Jimi Hendrix is THE name. It's like Michael Jordan and basketball. Even if you don't know anyone else, you know Jimi Hendrix. That's not even debatable. That is fact.

I don't see how you can deny that and be telling people to check their rock history.

But I got the feeling a long time ago that you and most of the rest of us are just bored. Because at the end of the day most of the rest of the world sees Hendrix as a guitar legend(and oddly enough they still like the beatles, as if the two weren't mutually exclusive--krazy, isn't it?).

Last edited by futuristxen on Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:59 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next