Search
Register
Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Neil Young, Paul Simon
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

MessiahCarey

UncleSylis wrote:
I'll see your four singer-songwriters, and raise you a Leonard Cohen.

Yep. That just about rounds out that group, in my opinion.

Except I've never heard a beatles song that made me go WOAH like Paul Simon, Bob Dylan and LC's songs. Maybe there's something wrong with me.

- Shane
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:01 am
hugh grants hooker

i dont want to come off as a person who says "then go play this..." and shit like that, but have you heard 'A Day in the Life'?

first time i heard that i was definitely saying "whoa".
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:20 am

ONE.

"A Day in the Life" is a fucking great song.... what about "Something"?

peaces.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:34 am
excellrec

On the reverb thing. Some of the replies have come from misconceptions. A particular technique is being talked about here, which isn't even right. Reverb was utilized far back in the classical orchestra days. Greek colliseums and onwards into the past. This is a production technique which doesnt even involve the four beatles but yes the fifth beatle. RESEARCH a little bit before you say stuff that you can't be sure about because some of the statements were obviously coming from guesses for the sake of arguementation, and these factors are not condusive to productive conversation, well, not productive in the "good" way, well....JUST QUIT IT! Oh yeah, and the musicians mentioned are sweet.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:04 am
bobbythebear

hugh grants hooker wrote:
played guitar upside down? that impresses you?
then you should check out a guy they call Paul McCartney. he was a member of the beatles. he played the guitar upside down, however he didnt make a big deal about it.
calling that genius is ignorant.

so you would concede that Paul isnt a genius? I wouldnt - never liked him, but I acknowledge him as a genius. your being too technical. genius isnt specifics, its the overall impact. I could give a fuck what hand movements or stratacster models or whatever is used, the fact is he drasticly impacted the environment he worked within. he drew people to him, he used the guitar in a way that made him noticable. he recored music for three years and he still commands attention today.

Bob Dylan openly mimicks elements of older songs and styles in all of his music, but he's still a genius. monk played very standard gospel lines with his right hand, but he was still a genius. shakespeare rewrote older books and plotlines, but he was still a genius. they were outside of the box, they had a natural way of fucking with things.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:22 am
Dee

I've been in plenty of stupid ass arguments on this board. This one ranks up there with my worst.

Hugh...you can't debate something like this. I mean, if you want to, you can, but you end up sounding closeminded and ignorant. I don't even listen to Hendrix and I haven't since sophomore year of high school, but as far as rock musicians go, he was by far the most innovative and prodigal talent to play guitar. He practically invented distortion in rock and roll, at least as far as the mainstream is concerned.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:35 am
hugh grants hooker

djdee--- wake up and smell the ding dong man. you can not argue hendrix is more influential than the beatles without sounding very ignorant musically. seriously, he used to open his shows with "sgt peppers...". he was doing beatles shit. haha
...and i shall add that if youre gonna start with the goofy shit again, i'm sorry i was so bored one night that i asked you to come back...

bobbythebear--- no I AM the one saying that paul IS genius. i just said that playing a guitar upside down or with your teeth doesnt make you genius. no more genius than that kid in every frat who does that shit at parties.

exellrec --- are you saying i've 'only heard rumors' and dont have sources for what i'm saying? haha
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:44 pm

Dee

djdee--- wake up and smell the ding dong man. you can not argue hendrix is more influential than the beatles without sounding very ignorant musically. seriously, he used to open his shows with "sgt peppers...". he was doing beatles shit. haha
...and i shall add that if youre gonna start with the goofy shit again, i'm sorry i was so bored one night that i asked you to come back...

Wow, you're a fucking idiot.

Did I say anything about the Beatles?
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:30 pm
hugh grants hooker

djdee2005 wrote:
he was by far the most innovative and prodigal talent to play guitar. He practically invented distortion in rock and roll, at least as far as the mainstream is concerned.

what a dumb fuck little kid.

you said right there that hendrix was more important than the beatles. no?
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:33 pm

Dee

djdee2005 wrote:
he was by far the most innovative and prodigal talent to play guitar. He practically invented distortion in rock and roll, at least as far as the mainstream is concerned.

what a dumb fuck little kid.

you said right there that hendrix was more important than the beatles. no?

No. I said he was the most innovative and prodigal talent ON THE GUITAR.

The Beatles were about more than the guitar. None of them played guitar like Hendrix.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:35 pm
hugh grants hooker

no. none of them played LIKE hendrix.
as to weather harrison played AS WELL AS hendrix... i'd have to argue.

and i defintely think he was more influential.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:41 pm

Dee

And don't flatter yourself. My return had nothing to do with you.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:42 pm
hugh grants hooker

djdee2005 wrote:

And don't flatter yourself. My return had nothing to do with you.

trust me. it wouldnt be taking credit, but taking blame for you're return.

... and by the way, you told me in the IM convo... something to the effect of "if you want i'll post this one last shit on the aoi forum..."

and on the aoi forum, you even state that you're only doing it cuz "Youre bored and 'kamereon' asked you to".

now, cut with the crackin wise.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:11 pm

Dee

Whatever dude. This ain't the AOI forum.

have fun arguing with everybody.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:06 pm
hugh grants hooker

whatever kid. you know the truth, speak it or not.

and as far as arguing... YOU are the one who started this one. as usual.

fuckin dolt.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:15 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next