Search
Register
Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Neil Young, Paul Simon
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

CFL

I am reading insanity.  Reply with quote  

Jimi Hendrix has only 3 worthy songs and doesn't entertain you?
I find this statement to be fucked.
FUCKED.

This thread was molested.

Bob Dylan owns all of you.

Piece
Post Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:18 am
hugh grants hooker

how can MY OPINION be fucked?

nazi. go back to germany. hahahahahaha
Post Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:26 am

Jesse

HGH, where the fuck did you get the batshit idea that "The Beatles" invented REVERB!? You must have read it on stone tablets from Sinai the way you're trumpeting it, but it's WILDLY INACCURATE.

First of all, the production innovations on Beatles records were the work of GEORGE MARTIN. They called him "the fifth Beatle" sometimes but that's not what you're referring to, is it?

Second "the reverb" is not a "guitar trick". Hammond and its clones were including reverb units on their organs from as early on as the fifties. You know who was the first person to take it out of that context? Elvis asked his producers to rig it up to be used on his voice, because he was so insecure about it. Many, many guitarists in the fifties and sixties employed it, and it was a common feature on many amplifiers before The Beatles grew pubes. You ever heard of Duane Eddy? Do you know who the Beatles' influences are?

Now thirdly, the practise of "flanging" in a musical context was coined by George Martin in order to alter John's vocals, which John was always asking for because, like Elvis, he was very insecure about his voice. That's why you'll notice a lot of Beatles recordings feature sped-up or slowed-down vocals - John's bashfulness (think Strawberry Fields). Maybe you got flange mixed up with "the reverb", because that IS something Hendrix made some use of eventually.

And to whoever said The Beatles were overproduced, I beg to differ. They were heavily produced, yes, but the production itself became a vital aspect of the music, almost an instrument. I mean really, when you're George Martin and all you've ever recorded is classical and comedy records, and these four boys come in playing this kind of music where basically every fucking song is a twelve bar blues with no more than twenty-five words in the lyrics, well... you'd get pretty bored if they all SOUNDED the same, too.
Post Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:22 pm
Lazy Eyed Pea

I kind of like Jim Morrison, holler if you get it.
Post Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:31 pm
PokeHerFace

about the "overproduced" thing.

but strictly because i like the beatles less than the next guy....

overproduced = heavily produced

it was inovative
Post Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:26 pm
hugh grants hooker

jesse, you are very uneducated.

wise up.

george martin was admittedly 'not in control' anymore as of '66.
he did not like heavy drums or bass. you'll notice that suddenly as of "yesterday"...and today, suddenly you can hear the bass fairly clearly and ringo finally becomes noticeable. not to mention the use of george harrison's unusual instriments becoming used. (ex. sitar on 'norwegian wood'). until '66 yes there was a "5th beatle" but in many opinions he held them back.

check any beatles info archive. they ARE credited with reverb.

as the story goes:
they were performing a show, when they stopped between songs to talk briefly to the crowd. john wanted to change guitars, without knowing his guitar was still plugged in, he took it down and leaned it against the equipment and as he turned to walk away he struck the strings.
a very loud bit of reverb echoed throughout the place, the beatles loved the sound and the crowd cheered like mad thinking it was something done intentionally. from that point they worked like madmen to find a way to use the sound as an instrument.

the innovations werent really done until they psychodelic era, which was after martin 'lost control'.
and all the ideas for production on Strawberry Fields was the work of john lennon.

you are wildly innaccurate.
Post Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:29 pm

futuristxen

well if you aren't willing to concede Hendrix's genius, You have to at least concede that Mr. Eric Clapton certainly had George Harrison's number...
Post Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:43 pm
PokeHerFace

right.

thats reverb alright.

it wasn't ever invented, that's my point. sure its use or aplication in production was a movement that ws started mainly by the beatles, or initially by the beatles. but, you must realize that music, especially rockabilly, wasn't really recorded for that long before the beatles found out about producing. reverb is a natural phonic occurence anywhere.

plus, jimi perfected this synthecised, amplified reverb. he added to it. he used it live. he used it in tune and out of tune. he was to guitar what theloneus monk was to the piano, what parker was to the sax, what gilespie was to the trumpet, what davis, then, was to the trumpet, what i am to the internet. ha.

hughgrantshooker: you know your shit. i cannot come at you with any of my wak stabs at putting down the beatles. but don't try to pretend that hendrix has only 3 enjoyable songs.

axis: bold as love....COP IT
Post Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:45 pm
hugh grants hooker

PokeHerFace wrote:
right.
reverb is a natural phonic occurence anywhere.

hughgrantshooker: you know your shit. i cannot come at you with any of my wak stabs at putting down the beatles. but don't try to pretend that hendrix has only 3 enjoyable songs.

first of all. thank you.

but is there anyone here who didnt know what reverb is? i doubt it. i dont think anyone assumed i meant the beatles created it out of wood and metal in a lab somewhere.

and that hendrix line is an example of the thing i hate about this message board.
because i think inside of a different box than 99% of the people here, my opinions are always argued. when actually opinions CANT be argued. they arent facts. they are MY opinions, i didnt ask you to believe them.

once again... IN MY OPINION hendrix has about 3 enjoyable songs.
Post Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:53 pm

PokeHerFace

of course, you're entitled to your opinion.

you are like 99% of the people on this site because you believe you think outside the box that 99% of the people here think in.

you speak through the same squak box around this time every night to argue. The beatles being great is a strong argument, and you don't have to say anything. you can just reply "beatles are good" and let people who have something against the beatles talk themselves into a corner.

i will allow the "opinion" card to stand here. you don't like jimi all that much. what the hell can i do in the name of hendrix to make you like him? shit, thats what. but the same goes for your defending of the beatles who need no defending. you will not convince me that harison was a better pure musician than jimi.

OPINION CARD: i really think the beatles suck..

i am unlike many people on this site. i am evil. i work in insurance denying people their entitled benefits when i can to save my company money, and pay the benefits out when i have to.

b.crow
30 stones crew
"remember sam jenkins"-- momento
Post Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:05 pm
ONE.

I never dug Hendrix's stuff... NONE of it.

Beatles will always be #1 to me. Lennon especially.

peaces.
Post Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:09 pm
futuristxen

hugh grants hooker wrote:

and that hendrix line is an example of the thing i hate about this message board.
because i think inside of a different box than 99% of the people here, my opinions are always argued. when actually opinions CANT be argued. they arent facts. they are MY opinions, i didnt ask you to believe them.

once again... IN MY OPINION hendrix has about 3 enjoyable songs.

Where you ran aground was when you drifted off of simply saying that you didn't like Hendrix and decided to add that he would have been unnoticiable without the beatles. Instead of just expressing his incompatibility with your tastes you called into question his skill--which is a little more than just offering an opinion. I can understand not liking someone, truth be told I don't get that hyped to listen to a lot of the beatles stuff, but you give respect where it is due and leave it at that.

A lot of people on message boards should learn the diffrence between not liking someone, and hating on them--for instance it's okay to not like an artist, but to go to every post about that artist just to say they suck and have no skill--that's taking things beyond just expressing your opinion--in that case you are just trying to start shit and you get what you deserve.

I hope that made sense and helped explain to you why you got the reaction you did here--it was never anything personal, at least coming from me--but I think you understood that. You obviously have a lot of beatles knowledge to share, I liked reading it.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:03 am
bobbythebear

HGH, regardless of your opinion of Hendrix, dismissing his genius is ignorant. put aside the reverb issue for a minute - he played the guitar upside down, and he played it pretty damn good. he wrote songs without being able to read. he and miles were set to record two albums together. does that make him the best? no. Harrison and Hendrix and Paige and a thousand blues players are easily in the same league, better only by matter of opinion. but he was a fucking genius, end of story

and Dylan is my definition of Rock and Roll, because he did by himself what Beatles and Zepplin could only do as a group
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:13 am
CFL

Honestly, to listen to the (Hendrix) solo from "All Along The Watchtower" and objectively think to yourself:

"Hmmm...this shit just ain't really that good!"

...well, umm, I guess, idealistically, that's fine...think what you want to think, I honestly completely respect your opinion. And HGH, I apologise, I'm not trying to fuck with you, it's just that, well, have you ever actually sat down and listened to that shit? It's unfuckwittable.

I respect anyone's taste who posts here (overestimation?), cuz hey, we're all here in the name of good music/thought/conversation/ideas etc... which is why I find it hard to believe that you can't appreciate 'Drix's ish. It's pretty much unanimous throughout RNR history that Jimi was off the cereal, whether it be Ozzy or fucking Paige or motherfucking Keith. Just give the diety a headnod, or at least another chance, cuz I just hate to ponder that some poor, unfortunate cat is missing out on one of music's premiere examples.

I love this shit.
Piece.

PS - Dillinger Fucking Escape Plan pisses on the Beatles.

And Bob still serves EVERYBODY.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:44 am
hugh grants hooker

xen-- i dont go around hating on hendrix threads. if there were a hendrix thread i probably wouldnt even check into it. i really dont care about him.
i felt i needed to reply to one specific post here which placed hendrix above and beyond the beatles or more at least above harrison.

and as usual people were giving harrison's creativity credit to george martin. which is insane.
------------------------

CFL -- yes, i have sat several times and listened to hendrix. a couple of his albums were given to me when i was about 12 or so, ever since then i just give em a shot once or twice each year and see if they've grown on me.
currently i cant even sit through the damn things. i just dont like hendrix.
very 'fuckwittable'.
------------------------------
bobbythebear--- played guitar upside down? that impresses you?
then you should check out a guy they call Paul McCartney. he was a member of the beatles. he played the guitar upside down, however he didnt make a big deal about it.
calling that genius is ignorant.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:50 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next