Search
Register
Anti-War songs face criticism from the LA Times. check this
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Nortled

Aww shit Sage, now you have to write another track called "Misguided Patriot" just to match up to this article. Seriously though, the daps are overdue: these songs (Makeshift Patriot and Hey Bobby) will stand the test of time, because they don't have the same old cliches.
Post Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:33 pm
Sevas Tra

yeah dude i get the LA Times and havent seen this articule, but i was delighted to read it here. About a month ago they ran an articule saying that artists havent steped up the way they did in the 60's on there feeling twords the current war. I was a little upset they didnt dig deep enough to hear Sage, Mac Lethal, Mr.Lif, ect. So i wrote them an email describing my concern with there lack of reporting. Im not saying that they went and wrote this articule because of me mentioning these politicaly aware artists names, but in my own head, im taking credit. Yah for me!!!
Post Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:39 pm
jae

Hey bobby was a good spoken word piece...why did sage turn it into a b-side with an awkward chorus?

"remember when they came for the jewish people?" pure cheese.

/flame
Post Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:44 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

"remember when they went after the Jewish people?
You don't recgnize that same black mask as see through?"

Wow...that's cheese to you? In a world of your criticism, I am the Bob Saget of hiphop. Thank you.
Post Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:51 pm
bobbythebear

Sage Francis wrote:
With Epitaph comes certain perks.

I am appreciative.

http://www.calendarlive.com/cl-war-hilburn8apr08,0,1716189.story

Bobby is back!!!

I missed you too mom. Question - Hey Bobby ever going to be a single? the EP thing sucks for anyone who doesnt own tables
Post Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:18 am
maxamillion

I you like hip hop, you SHOULD have turn tables!!!!!!

But I think he'll put the song on the next sickly buisness album, just wait my friend!!!

Peace, Max
Post Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:08 am
Moolah

That's real cool. Congrats on the mainstream media props.
Post Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:01 am
The RIAA TookMyMusicAway

i heard those songs on the Daily Show. I'd just like to say that those songs are a shame to all people that call themselves song writers.
Post Mon May 05, 2003 1:45 am
simta

i think there summary of zacks track is so poor,

'his sense of rage sometimes outdistances his artistry'

then they try to argue contemporary artists dont have the emotion to back up their words. artists of today are no less passionate then the artists of yesterday, check soad's track 'boom!' passion channelled thro intelligent voice, but their video is banned.
Post Thu May 08, 2003 2:02 pm
Bobby Anticon

DEAD AREADY  Reply with quote  

Nortled wrote:
Aww shit Sage, now you have to write another track called "Misguided Patriot" just to match up to this article. Seriously though, the daps are overdue: these songs (Makeshift Patriot and Hey Bobby) will stand the test of time, because they don't have the same old cliches.

AS the mask comes seathrough I see through the celiifane you passed because you spread the love with double L's and the collor of you is beyond the truest stars. Bobby is white and Carl sees Red and Dave is already Blue. Hey YO Hey Bobby is all about the cliche's and nother more...his gimmick is he wants to join the army but he has glasses, and he can't see infront of him because he is the one chasing the running sun. The mice always gets the cheese because the door is always open...you shot your wolf when you were born...oh you didn't know? Time = Cause and Glamor = Grand damn thats Gold. Owned as one told me...shit I am the newb. Hey they told me ... it was all about the Drugs? damn rock and roll gotta get it out of my head, untill it turns from blue to black...to white...because it turns that way...after dark. shiit look at me now. Bobby Simon Castleomnia--=-===-----=---===-----==-----=----=---=====---=====--===---==---===----===-====-=-=-===-=----=-=-===-=-=-=-=-=-=-=---==-==-=-=-=-===-=-=-=-=-=-=-7-=-=-=---=-4-==-=-=-9=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-==-=--=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-===--------===-====---==-=--==-=-===-==--=-=-=-=-=-=-====--=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=--=

Cibo Matto is da shit in my book-=Clouds=- peace out ....see ya hopefully ...this is a urgent wake up call- Sep. 24th...theres gonna be aw heads rolling if i miss this shiiot. I hope I see someeone or buy something...otherwise iam going to Lynch someone cause iam a SF 4thQtr.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:48 am

Bobby Anticon

GO WILD  Reply with quote  

GO VIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SUBLIME ROCK IT NO DOUBT STYLEEEE....GET BACK TO THE SHOW CAUSE ITS PAY DAY. :roll: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :x :x :oops: :cry: :roll: :twisted: :evil: :x :cry: :roll: :twisted: :evil: :x :cry: :roll: :twisted: :evil: :x :oops: :oops: :cry: :roll: :twisted: :evil: :x :P :oops: 8) :( :o :lol: :cry: :wink: :arrow: :idea: :?: :!: :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: Take it Easy.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:54 am

pericles_perry

I agree that the best protest songs are usually the ones with the widest scope like imagine and blowin in the wind. but i think makeshift patriot is an oddity in a way that it is very specific to the immediate aftermath of the 9/11 attacks (i believe sage said he used actual media quote for some of the lyrics), but is still holds the power of an imagine.

i think, if it continues to get enough exposure, mkeshift patriot will be remembered in the long run because it really is an accurate snapshot of the chaos in the world and in the media that was going on in this country immediately following 9/11.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:01 pm
Bobby Anticon

FAMOUS LAST WORDS  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
With tough acts to follow, musicians tackle the war
Artists like the Beastie Boys, R.E.M. and more have come up short with their Iraqi war-inspired songs.

By Robert Hilburn, Times Staff Writer

"War ... what is it good for?" the late Edwin Starr asked in his 1970 hit single.

The famous answer: Absolutely nothing!

You could say the same about most of the Iraqi war-inspired songs that are circling us with the speed of the troops around Baghdad.

There was just a ripple of musical commentary after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, partly because the experience was so new for Americans that it was hard to know just what to say.

But war we know -- and musicians are responding.

The 24-hour cable watch had barely begun when pop-rock figures including the Beastie Boys, R.E.M. and Lenny Kravitz checked in on their Web sites with their views. The best that can be said about most of these songs is they remind us of how difficult it is to express political feelings effectively in pop music.

The new tunes take stands, but they lack the thoughtfulness and grace to be anything more than predictable sloganeering. Lacking the craft that made these artists successful in the first place, they sound like political speeches from campaigns past.

The most memorable protest music, from John Lennon's "Imagine" (a Top 10 single in 1971) to Starr's hit, steps beyond rhetoric to touch us in some special way.

With "Imagine" as with Bob Dylan's earlier "Blowin' in the Wind," there was the caress of the melody and the idealism of the words. Though they were political statements, both songs looked beyond headlines and politics to dream of a better world.

By contrast, "War," written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong, invited us to dance. The lyrics were pointed -- "It ain't nothing but a heartbreaker / War / Friend only to the undertaker" -- and some embraced them. But the relentless beat and Starr's explosive vocal would have made the song a hit even if the lyrics went, "Peace, what is it good for?"

The song has enough lingering punch that grunge rockers Pearl Jam used it last week in concert to express their opposition to the U.S. invasion of Iraq.

Trust me, there's little on the Internet that will make you either think or dance -- at least not the songs by the most high-profile artists.

Here's a survey of their offerings:

The Beastie Boys' "In a World

Gone Mad." This New York hip-hop/rock outfit showed social conscience in the '90s by sponsoring the inspired Tibetan Freedom Concert series, but this is a lazy mix of politics and playfulness. Sample line: "Now don't get us wrong 'cause we love America / But that's no reason to get hysterical / They're layin' on the syrup thick / We ain't waffles, we ain't havin' it."

If the goal is simply to go on record about the war, the Beasties and other artists could simply put a statement on the Web and then refer fans to truly memorable music. The referral here could have been to John Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance."

R.E.M.'s "The Final Straw." Even fans of this great band know Michael Stipe can sometimes be oblique, and he's never been more so than here. The song is a plea for forgiveness rather than revenge, but it seems adrift in space.

Better referral: the Beatles' "All You Need Is Love."

Zack de la Rocha's "March of Death." With Rage Against the Machine, De La Rocha made some of the most politically charged music of the modern pop era, but his sense of outrage sometimes outdistances his artistry. The only thing promising here is the power of the music itself, a collaboration with DJ Shadow.

Referral: Dylan's "Masters of War."

Lenny Kravitz's "We Want

Peace." The inspiration here was in Kravitz's teaming with Kazem Al Sahir, a major pop figure in Iraq. Their song, however, is limp.

Better referral: Cat Stevens' "Peace Train."

John Mellencamp's "To Washington." This tale of political disillusion is a major step up, but it is so tied to the Woody Guthrie folk tradition that it ends up a bit anonymous.

Referral: Steve Earle's "Christmas in Washington."

The pro-invasion contingent comes chiefly from the country side of pop.

Darryl Worley's "Have You Forgotten?" You don't have to search the Web for this tune because it's already a pop and country hit -- a companion piece, in a way, to Alan Jackson's "Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)." It's heavy on the corn: "Have you forgotten how it felt that day? To see your homeland under fire / And her people blown away."

Referral: Merle Haggard's "The Fightin' Side of Me."

Clint Black's "I Raq and I Roll."

The veteran country star certainly gets the nod for cleverest song title, but the tune itself (co-written by Hayden Nicholas) is full of macho bluster. "It might be a smart bomb / They find stupid people, too / And if you stand with the likes of Saddam / One just might find you."

Referral: again, Haggard's "The Fightin' Side of Me."

Not all Iraq commentary sounds tired. The seriousness of the issue is encouraging lots of singer-songwriters to share their feelings, and there is likely much of value to come from that.

Sage Francis' "Makeshift Patriot" is one sign that artists can step beyond the obvious. Francis is a Rhode Island rapper who has been building a wider underground following, thanks in part to songs with the freshness and insight of "Patriot."

Written shortly after Sept. 11, the song is finally surfacing outside clubs and the Internet. It will be released commercially on a "Punk-O-Rama" sampler by Los Angeles' Epitaph Records.

In "Makeshift Patriot," Francis (who released an album last year on the independent anticon label) expresses sympathy for the victims of the terrorist attacks, but also warns about the nation's response. In a provocative line, Francis declares, "There's a desperate need for blood for what's been uncovered under the rubble / Some of them dug for answers in the mess . . . but the rest were looking for trouble."

You also feel a creative spark in the socially conscious music of Stephen Smith, a New York singer-songwriter whose "New World Order" album has just been released by Smith's Universal Hobo label. Smith, whose father is Iraqi, wrote the album before the conflict in Iraq, but he is wrestling with issues that define the times.

Given the flood of social commentary on the Internet and elsewhere, Francis and Smith are not isolated voices. Once we are past the flood of quick, celebrity responses, we may have music strong enough to stand up to the protest music of the past, not simply pale alongside it.

Quote:

The Beastie Boys' "In a World Gone Mad."

IMA MAD LIKE A RAPPER.

WHERES MY TROPHY?

I WAKE UP AT 7:#) and iam still not DEAD?

IAM A LIVE POET-SAGE FRANCIS

WHERES MY SARCASIM?

I KNOW WHAT IAM NOT TALKING ABOUT?

WE WERE POINTING FINGERS, WE SHOULD OF BEEN BUILDING SKYSCRAPPERS.

HONESTY IS THE KEY
KIA I SAW TODAY...SERIOUSLY TODAY I SAW THE KIA ADD ON TV...AND IT HAD GEORGE W. (Cheerleading BUSH) on it...and iam like...shiiot KIA KEY? BUSH IS THE KEY TO OUR GRAVE...SO LETS VOTE!!!!!!!! FOR HIM AGAIN AND AGAIN AND THEN MAKE A STATUE OF HIM.........DECODE MY DICK,I AIN'T LINDA TRIPPIN, THIS IS MY STADIUM. THESE GIRLS ARE ANGELS...APPARENTLY.....GOD LIVES IN SEATTLE AND GSUS is in Olympia? peace out, not peace in. FUCCCCCCCCCK. I CAN TAKE OFF MY SHIRT....THIS IS A STICK UP....SO I'll ROB YOUR BONDS WORTH!!!!!!!!!! IAM ON A EGO TRIP WHERES Mii TROPHYii?
Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:25 am

Jesus Frank

fuck you bobby anticon. You're starting to get on my nerves now. That's probably what you're going for or whatever, so I guess I shouldn't say it, but you are. Not cool.

The article was on-point. A half-hearted, or simply poor, "political" song doesn't do any good at all. Actually, it defeats its purpose by watering things down and stealing attention from the true ones. Artists putting those things out on ego-trips get a meanmug from Jesus Frank. Fuck em. Fuck em like Bobby Anticon.

I am glad Makeshift Patriot got that mention. Congrats.
Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:14 pm
FoJaR

bobby anticon wrote:
...AND IT HAD GEORGE W. (Cheerleading BUSH) on it...and iam like...shiiot KIA KEY? BUSH IS THE KEY TO OUR GRAVE...SO LETS VOTE!!!!!!!! FOR HIM AGAIN AND AGAIN AND THEN MAKE A STATUE OF HIM

aw, cmon jesus! this line was gold, PURE GOLD!
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:04 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next