Search
Register
Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

agent00f

those drawings are super in "comic book" value and fine art.
the only calvin and hobbes "joke"(im not sure if it is one)that i never "got"
was where clavin is laying on the grass looking at the sky and pondering
with hobbes(of course) and they are discussing "life"(i cant find this book
around so take it easy)and hobbes says something to the effect like where
do we go when we die" and i believe calvin says "pittsburgh" or something
like that...i never got why one of them said "pittsburgh" anyone recall this
block?
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:24 am
Heroin Sheik

hahah...Calvin and Hobbes. i remeber begging my mom for 5 bucks to order this from the schools book order.

Did anyone have these book orders in elementary school? If you ordered like 10 dollars worth of shit you get the featured book of that month. Ha...i loved Elementary school.

Also on the topic of Calvin and Hobbes, in 7th grade i had to do a statistics project for math, where we had to surveyed 100 people. The topic i chose was Favorite newspaper comic, and Calvin and Hobbes totally crushed the others. My stats were so fucked (like 92 people for C and H, 2 for Peanuts,...), i had to toy with the results to balance it out.

No question.... Calvin and Hobbes were the man
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:20 am
SneepSnopDotCom
COCKRING WRAITH

I like the far side better. But, I am not as familiar with Calvin and Hobbes... I was under the impression it was a cutesy little thing with some intelligence... it makes people actually laugh?
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:26 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
califunky

check it heads...  Reply with quote  

here is your daily dose

http://www.ucomics.com/calvinandhobbes/

and calvin and hobbes is by far the best comic of all time. waterson is an artist and a genius. much love.

c
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:25 am
amo1ne

nothing touches Calvin and Hobbes but dont diss Garfield like that! I still have all those books, I used to order them from Scholastics evry month in elementary school.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:44 am
joedan

ehh...  Reply with quote  

garfield fell off a long time ago.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:35 am
Reggie

Garfield has always sucked. I mean...pathetic. It's what we call a "rubber stamp" comic. THere's three panels to the thing, and most days the only movement is that Garfield eats lasagna. Whoopee. I bet you think Cathy is really witty, too.

THe best comic of all time was Little Nemo in Slumberland by the brilliant Winsor McKay. Winsor McKay was a master draftsman that decided to turn his talents to the relatively new medium of comic strips. His drafting ability allowed him to recreate panels and panels of intricate and subtly shifting artwork, exactingly by freehand. Some of his most famous comics are ones where characters and background stretched and squashed in perfect proportion for panels and panels and panels. Besides this, most of his comments were subtle social commentary, most often dealing with segregation and later, World War I. He also did a comic called "Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend" which was not as intricate or wry, but still very good nonetheless. All of this information and more is probably available through that link.

At the roots of Watterson's "brush stroke" style was the original Popeye the Sailor by E.C. Segar. Popeye actually first showed up in a Segar's strip "Thimble Theatre," which starred the Oyl family, but his character quickly became so popular that he overtook the strip completely. Popeye was very funny and kind of salty in the 20's...and the violence in some of the strips is incredible. WHat is most engaging about it is the drawing; Segar seemed to understand or at least accidentally discovered the best inking style for newspaper printing (it was later refined by Crockett Johnson for Barnaby) Watterson also used this style of inking, and it helped to make his characters more lively than, say, "Dilbert" which is just a flat set of pictures.

Nowadays, my favorite comic strip is Tom the Dancing Bug buy Reuben Bolling. He's actually been at it for ten years or more, but is only getting shine now. He has a crisp and various drawing style, although lately he has had more editorial content in his comics and the drawing has taken a backseat...a quick look at his older stuff will show that he has skills. Most importantly, the comic is funny, which is a damn sight more than I can say for 99% of the comic strips in your local paper. "Funky Winkerbean?" Get the fuck out of here.

Oh, also one of my favorite strips is Zits by Jerry Scott and Jim Borgman. This is a strip that wavers between "funny" and "cute," and is drawn very much in the style of Bill Watterson. In a way, it's like "Calvin and Hobbes" if Calvin was 15 and Hobbes was in a box in the basement.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:10 am
molasses

the only thing even close is Bloom County. There's nothing running today that I enjoy, although I do like the Peanuts strips from the 70's that get run every now and then
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:12 am
futuristxen

calvin and Hobbes  Reply with quote  

Oh god yes. I have all the books. That strip is also responsible for my desire to learn a lot of things between grades 3-6. Lotsa diffrent references to go read up on.

There is no better. And never will be.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:13 am
joedan

bloom county was great. these days the boondocks is the best out there.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:30 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

they made little nemo into a nes game...i never knew it was a comic
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:35 am
adollshouse

Have any of you read "Pearls before Swine"?...it's killer. I also used to love Boondocks, its getting a little repetitive now but it was very fresh. I also love Non-Sequitor.

PEace to You
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:36 am
drol

.  Reply with quote  

i definetly have always dug calvin and hobbes.

in fact earlier i was reading one of the books in the can.

i pity any "i like ziggy" posts,for christsake it was a blob with eyes...calvin's imagination alone came up with much better characters than that two bit cartoon.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:39 am
geoffwalker

calvin and hobbes is by far the best, some other comics that are funny (albeit without the content) are, um. the one about the cat and the dog who live with the guy, shit i'm missing names...boondocks is inconsistently funny and clever. zits is very remeniscent of my early teen years with my parents so thats funny...thats all folks
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:12 pm
Reggie

Barney Google and Krazy Kat are also great comic strips worth mentioning.

Long before Calvin and Hobbes came out, comic strips were ruined by the constant reduction in size that most newspapers make these artists endure. Watterson even addressed this in one or more of his strips.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:23 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next