Profile
Search
Register
Log in
Police State
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Author Message
ihaveagluegun



Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Posts: 907
Location: Austin, Tx
 Reply with quote  

whats offensive to you dosent matter, its what is offensive to the owner, maybe he feels that it was un patriotic, thus offensive, i think i said this already
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:48 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Nope



Joined: 23 Jan 2003
Posts: 1916
 Reply with quote  

sliquid: you have to protect all points of view

not just the ones you think are good and reject the ones you think are bad
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:48 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Nope



Joined: 23 Jan 2003
Posts: 1916
 Reply with quote  

those people were INSIDE the mall

you can protest outside of it...and if you get arrested while protesting outside, then you just made your voice heard even more
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:50 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ihaveagluegun



Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Posts: 907
Location: Austin, Tx
 Reply with quote  

RandomSurge wrote:
sliquid: you have to protect all points of view

not just the ones you think are good and reject the ones you think are bad


its sinking in...
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:51 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pav



Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 805
Location: from the heart of queens
 Reply with quote  

random surge, your whole argument seems to be based on the the father and son (maybe it was grandfather or something) buying the t-shirts in the mall.. i might be wrong but i read that they had the t-shirts made on the spot and then wore them.. you know how they have those machines where they quickly press up anything you want on a shirt??

i really don't understand how them buying it in the mall would support your argument though.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:51 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Nope



Joined: 23 Jan 2003
Posts: 1916
 Reply with quote  

ihaveagluegun wrote:
RandomSurge wrote:
sliquid: you have to protect all points of view

not just the ones you think are good and reject the ones you think are bad


its sinking in...


I never said otherwise...what is wrong with you??
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:54 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Nope



Joined: 23 Jan 2003
Posts: 1916
 Reply with quote  

Bleys wrote:

Ok.

So how about this scenario:

I own a World War 2 memorabilia shop. I sell some shirts and stuff with swastikas on them, but only because it's part of the history.

Some guy comes into my shop and BUYS a German bomber jacket with a big, offensive (to me at least, because I'm Jewish) swastika on the back. Do I have to let him wear it? I would hope not.

Say he bought it at my shop last week, now he comes back to buy more stuff and wears the jacket into the shop. Again the swastika is offensive to me, but he did buy it at my shop. So, do I have to let him wear it? Again, I hope not.

According to you, though, I would in both of these situations.


BLEYS:

in that scenario, you're mentioning something you're uncomfortable with as the reason why you would have the guy leave your store

well I'm uncomfortable with not being able to wear something I bought in your store, in your store

both sides have rights...where's the balance?
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:55 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ihaveagluegun



Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Posts: 907
Location: Austin, Tx
 Reply with quote  

twas implied
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:55 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ihaveagluegun



Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Posts: 907
Location: Austin, Tx
 Reply with quote  

RandomSurge wrote:
Bleys wrote:

Ok.

So how about this scenario:

I own a World War 2 memorabilia shop. I sell some shirts and stuff with swastikas on them, but only because it's part of the history.

Some guy comes into my shop and BUYS a German bomber jacket with a big, offensive (to me at least, because I'm Jewish) swastika on the back. Do I have to let him wear it? I would hope not.

Say he bought it at my shop last week, now he comes back to buy more stuff and wears the jacket into the shop. Again the swastika is offensive to me, but he did buy it at my shop. So, do I have to let him wear it? Again, I hope not.

According to you, though, I would in both of these situations.


BLEYS:

in that scenario, you're mentioning something you're uncomfortable with as the reason why you would have the guy leave your store

well I'm uncomfortable with not being able to wear something I bought in your store, in your store

both sides have rights...where's the balance?



thing is...its his store...his private property
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:55 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Nope



Joined: 23 Jan 2003
Posts: 1916
 Reply with quote  

so? the jacket is his...his private property. He has rights to that just as much as the owner has rights to his store.

there is no balance here...the way things are now, the store owner has an unfair right, and you just have to bend over and take it, regardless if it makes sense or not

there has to be more balance...
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:58 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Bleys



Joined: 09 Oct 2002
Posts: 156
 Reply with quote  

Well, the mall owners were uncomfortable with a "Give Peace a Chance" shirt the same way I'm uncomfortable with a swastika.

What's the difference?

Sliquid: You can't protest at malls for the same reason you can't wear any t-shirt you want: they're privately owned (the same reason I can't protest in your living room).

But you can protest on publicly owned property, such as a sidewalk, outside of the mall. Same way I could protest on the streetcorner by your house, if I wanted to. As long as you don't block traffic or pedestrians or the entranceway to a privately owned establishment, you can protest, leaflet, or whatever on any public property.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:00 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
weedy420
Guest




 Reply with quote  

this is a lottttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt of wasted space when these two bitches could have just imed each other, i think that was what one of you two said to me. why spend this much time, well you probably have nothing better to do and if i didnt i would be doing the same so, yeah im out of here
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:02 pm
 
Bleys



Joined: 09 Oct 2002
Posts: 156
 Reply with quote  

RandomSurge wrote:
so? the jacket is his...his private property. He has rights to that just as much as the owner has rights to his store.

there is no balance here...the way things are now, the store owner has an unfair right, and you just have to bend over and take it, regardless if it makes sense or not

there has to be more balance...


This is balanced perfectly.

You can't wear whatever you want in someone else's store, and the store owner can't wear whatever he wants in your house. Also, the store owner's jurisdiction only applied to the property he owns. Out on the street I can't stop the guy from wearing the jacket, nor in his home. Because you're right, it's his property... but in MY store... I can ask him to take it off.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:02 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Nope



Joined: 23 Jan 2003
Posts: 1916
 Reply with quote  

Bleys wrote:


This is balanced perfectly.

You can't wear whatever you want in someone else's store, and the store owner can't wear whatever he wants in your house.


nonono...that's definitely not the same thing...again, don't forget that you bought the article at the guys store. He didn't buy shit in your house

Bleys wrote:

but in MY store... I can ask him to take it off.


sure...you can ask him. And if you have a good reason to, and he refuses then you have all the right in the world to kick him out.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:06 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
name



Joined: 12 Nov 2002
Posts: 955
 Reply with quote  

im not sure why this issue is so complicated. yes, the store owner has rights but those rights end at the point when they begin to infringe on someone else's personal civil liberties. it doesn't matter who owns the store or how "private" the propetry is. this is the same reason a store owner is not allowed to physically assault a costumer just because he/she doesnt like the jacket they are wearing. you see, that would infringe on someone's personal rights. unless it can be proven that the man and his son were verbally or physically antagonizing other mallgoers or were guilty of illegal solicitation then they cannot have legally been ejected from a place of commerce.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:06 pm
 View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:45 pm
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon