Search
Register
Police State
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Nope

ihaveagluegun wrote:
look, you proved yourself wrong in your own sentence, the key word is "let" they let them in, ever seen a sign that says "we have the right to refuse service to any persons" ? they have that right. they just exercised it. If the owner of the mall is pro-war and dosent want "anti-war" propoganda in his place of business he dosen't have to. period.
Sometimes I feel like the people who are anti-war are too stingy, they want their rights, but they dont want pro-war people to have theirs...they do have rights.....you know....

that's fine...but the guys weren't wearing an anti-war shirt specifically

it said give piece a chance or some shit...

if you are going to kick somebody out, you need a reason...the cops said that the t-shirt doesn't even matter, but if you are asked to leave, then you have to

THERE IS NO VALID REASON...that's why the guy has a case

Last edited by Nope on Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:23 pm
ihaveagluegun

don't defend him if you don't even know what his shirt said, it was on the basis of that which they arrested him, if you don't know, you have no clue, please
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:25 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Nope

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/03/04/iraq.usa.shirt.reut/index.html

that's EXACTLY what the shirt said
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:27 pm
Nope

and you know what's even funnier? he bought it IN THE MALL

you're the one that needs to get his facts straight if anybody
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:28 pm
MessiahCarey

ihaveagluegun wrote:
look, you proved yourself wrong in your own sentence, the key word is "let" they let them in, ever seen a sign that says "we have the right to refuse service to any persons" ? they have that right. they just exercised it. If the owner of the mall is pro-war and dosent want "anti-war" propoganda in his place of business he dosen't have to. period.
Sometimes I feel like the people who are anti-war are too stingy, they want their rights, but they dont want pro-war people to have theirs...they do have rights.....you know....

Listen to this. Mucho wisdom here.

Everyone has a right to their opinion. This dude just happens to own a mall that he can use to express his.

This is all legally speaking, of course, I find him not letting them wear the shirts as morally objectionable - but that's entirely different.

The only people that MIGHT have a lawsuit is the shops in the mall. They could argue that a potential customer was illegitimately removed and that caused them financial harm.

It would still be a bullshit lawsuit, though.

The best course of action for them, seeing as a lawsuit is ridiculous and doomed to failure, is the protest mentioned by Nortled

Oh yeah, and the shirts said "Let the Inspections Work" which was also a common phrase on T-shirts at the NYC protest. Obviously regarding the war.

I think it's gross that it's like this, but for anyone to insinuate that fucking with laws is the answer is obnoxious. The laws protect the rights of the citizens to decide what happens on their property. I don't like the idea, but if you owned a mall would you want someone walking through it in KKK garb?

Peace,
Shane
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:48 pm
Nope

then why were these t-shirts being sold inside the mall in the first place?
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:58 pm
Nope

and where did you hear about what the t-shirts said?

cause cnn said

According to the criminal complaint filed Monday, Stephen Downs was wearing a T-shirt bearing the words "Give Peace A Chance" that he had just purchased from a vendor inside the Crossgates Mall in Guilderland, New York, near Albany.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:01 pm
Nope

if you buy something inside the mall and then put it on, how in the hell are they going to charge you with trespassing???
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:02 pm
Bleys

RandomSurge wrote:
so? you can just kick out people for the fuck of it?

"Oh I don't like those sneakers you're wearing...get out or you go to jail"

so if they started kicking out black people it would be ok too?

no because that's illegal

and so is senseless censorship....it's not like that person is reflecting the points of view of the mall owners....they didn't pose any harm whatsoever

they can't just kick out people for no reason...and if they do...those people have a legitimate complaint

There are still golf clubs in the USA that don't allow black people or women to play.

Despite what you might feel, this isn't illegal as far as I know. Private property means you can make whatever rules you want about who can be there.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:07 pm
Nope

this being true doesn't change the fact that they charged the lawyer with TRESPASSING

how was he traspassing?? by refusing to leave? so they don't have to give a reason for kicking you out and then call it trespassing?

doesn't this law need reform?? a lawsuit might go a long way in getting people's attention

even if it doesn't go anywhere
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:11 pm
MessiahCarey

RandomSurge wrote:
this being true doesn't change the fact that they charged the lawyer with TRESPASSING

how was he traspassing?? by refusing to leave? so they don't have to give a reason for kicking you out and then call it trespassing?

doesn't this law need reform?? a lawsuit might go a long way in getting people's attention

even if it doesn't go anywhere

Probably not. It's gotten as much attention as it will from the corporate-biased media.

At any rate, he refused to leave after he was told to go. That's trespassing.

What if he was wearing a KKK hood? Would you be just as concerned?
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:14 pm
Bleys

They gave him a reason. They told him to remove his shirt or he would be asked to leave. He didn't remove it, and so they removed him.

I'm not saying I condone this action. I agree with MessiahCarey... it's morally objectionable as far as I'm concerned.

But as far as the law is concerned (and this is what matters in this case), the mall owners were acting within their legal rights.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:14 pm
MessiahCarey

Bleys wrote:
They gave him a reason. They told him to remove his shirt or he would be asked to leave. He didn't remove it, and so they removed him.

I'm not saying I condone this action. I agree with MessiahCarey... it's morally objectionable as far as I'm concerned.

But as far as the law is concerned (and this is what matters in this case), the mall owners were acting within their legal rights.

See...based on the fact that I don't want to be REQUIRED to allow people in my house that wear "Kill Black People" t-shirts, I'm kind of forced to uphold this law.

Laws won't stop people from being assholes is the moral I'm trying to get across...this makes most laws, and subsequently the lawsuits that come of them, pretty useless.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:16 pm
MessiahCarey

By the way, this doesn't mean that I don't think there's an impending police state, but I'm sure there are many better examples.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:17 pm
Nope

the thing that bothers me is that he bought the product in the mall

"if he was wearing a kkk hood" doesn't work

cause then the kkk hood would have had to been sold inside the mall

what does that say of the mall owners in the first place, then?
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:27 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next