Search
Register
why the fuck do people think its ok to not be good at math??
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

gerhupsom vanbone

I either have ADD or im just slow in the head, and Math is really hard for me cause of it. I dont know my addition tables or multiplication tables or anything. By the time I get half the notes I need written down the teachers erased them from the board. Ive given up and decided to go ghandi and learn how to live happily without money. If you dont need money you dont need math.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:01 am
Jesse

Arithmetic is a basic life skill. Beyond that, math is a WHOLLY academic pursuit for almost everyone in the world.

Math beyond times tables, long division and anything you can do with a two dollar calculator is specialized in its application.

I don't cry because everyone in the world isn't as good a rapper as I am. Everyone has different pursuits. Don't be weird.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:11 am
Embryo

different people are good at different things. some people, yes, don't see the reason to want to learn math. other people just CAN'T. don't be insensitive to other people's weaknesses just because such a situation is unfathomable to you.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:26 am
Petrouchka Rasputin

I think Serg did just mean basic math.... there are tons of people who suck at it, and it pains me. I've worked in a store that sees 1000+ customers in a day, 90% of whom want to pay in a foreign currency. And many of them don't understand how exchange rates work. It's frustrating for the people who work at the store, to have to explain it over and over again "No - 50% exhange means each American dollar is worth $1.50 Canadian. It doesn't mean half price." "WHAT??? THAT SIGN IS SO MISLEADING." "Sorry, but that's the way exchange rates are always posted."
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:30 am
gerhupsom vanbone

Im the type who can look at a math problem and see how to do it, but then not be able to do it. Anyone else have this problem?
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:37 am
Jesse

I don't think that's what he meant, Jacob. Look at this:

Quote:

you don't still read dick and jane books so learning your multiplication tables and long division should not be the extent of your math skills
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:37 am
Petrouchka Rasputin

I stand corrected.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:39 am
ihaveagluegun

SergOne wrote:
no but its a basic skill, but for some reason its not looked down upon as much as illiteracy......but no one sweats a kid who can't do algebra, but if you cant read well then crap they need a fucking save by the bell episode for it

uh..language is how we communicate, slightly more important than something that as it has already been said, is virtually unused in everyday life.............Math face
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:59 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
futuristxen

People do say they suck at writing. Like whenever it's paper writing times.
I'm actually pretty good at math when I sit down and spend time with it, but it's much easier to just tell people I suck at it and not have to be bothered.

No one likes a math nerd. Though one of my best friends is a math major, he also will say he sucks at math.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:04 pm
apeofdeath
FIRE BREATHING DRAG QUEEN

of course we use math in everyday life. you might not be cognizant of this, but everything boils down to mathematics. computers, social interaction, economic policies, sports, dating, gambling (obviously), grocery shopping, commercials...

almost everything can be modeled mathematically, some of you might not care. but I personally want to know how things work insted of saying "it just works"

Sorry, but I just have to say this:

I'll let you guys do the math.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:08 pm
tie-my-shoe

my moms sez i gota lern the maths
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:18 pm
SergOne

math is an important basic skill, and its more than just numbers, math teaches you basic problem solving skills and how to approach problems and come up with new ways to solve them and be creative with the problem, there is always more than one way to approach something......its something thats always been prevalent in my life, I'm the type that if something is broken I'll take it apart and fix it even if I don't know how it works....I like cars, so math comes in to play with that for compression, clearences, measurments, making accurate readings with a multimeter.....yeah I don't expect everyone out there to know calculus, but shit for some geometry seems like rocket science and it shouldn't be....i think its stupid to just write it off as something that you will never use....its like any tool, its there to make your life easier so its at your advantage to know how to use it
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:44 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
formerly-penelope

dallasbboy wrote:
formerly-penelope wrote:
what's wrong?.. why are you makin' such a fuss?

music/math are different parts of the brain than language and stuff...

Music and Math are one in the same.

Mathematics renders technology, without it there would be nothing but chaos in the universe.

God is a mathematician of the highest order.

Anyone who refuses to learn math is being out right lazy and stupid.

Brian

are you talkin' general math or calculus/finite/physics/algebra/differential equations/non-linear equations/or what... ?

Agreed that people should know basic math like adding/subtracting/multiplication/division..
but in Everday life, when do you use it? answer: When you're adding up the tip on your dinner. That's it.. your taxes are simple calculator material.. your banker can explain interest to you.. but seriously, I'm an engineer and I almost Never have to use math.

Math is a tool that schools use to teach people to think logically, that's all.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:59 pm
Aroen

MY TWO CENTS...  Reply with quote  

everyone should learn basic math. but when it comes to all the other crazy shit like trig, i'll leave that stuff for the people who have to actually use math in the near future (like a job).
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:44 pm
ihaveagluegun

Infamous wrote:
of course we use math in everyday life. you might not be cognizant of this, but everything boils down to mathematics. computers, social interaction, economic policies, sports, dating, gambling (obviously), grocery shopping, commercials...

almost everything can be modeled mathematically, some of you might not care. but I personally want to know how things work insted of saying "it just works"

Sorry, but I just have to say this:

I'll let you guys do the math.

there is a difference between math being applicable to everyday life and people actually using math, for example, people dont think to themselves " I have to make a 45 degree turn and travel .005 miles an hour to reach this point in this amount of time." we just kind of wing it.
Now, basic math, we may use in everyday life for example with money, however, these arent the skills im assuming are being discussed here, seeing as most people dont comment on a disability to count change.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:54 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next