Search
Register
"COPPER GONE" - MP3, CD, VINYL, tapes & errrrr
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

xGasPricesx

It seems like that dude was obsessed with you at one point, and then something happened and he flipped his hate switch on. Only now he's trying to justify having ever liked you in the first place, all while maintaining that you suck. It's very strange. It actually got me even more pumped for the album though, so there's that.

Edit: Also, are song reviews a thing? I'm asking sincerely, music criticism is the one type of media criticism that I don't actively follow so I just don't know. The only thing I've seem that might count as one was this godawful retrospective on "Still DRE" from the AV Club a week or so ago where the dude compared Dre's struggles with the authors own struggles, which consisted of living in suburban MA, getting dumped by his girlfriend, and losing some friends cause they kept talking to said ex-girlfriend. (Yes, this is a real article that actually exists)

Last edited by xGasPricesx on Wed May 28, 2014 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed May 28, 2014 11:32 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I didn't know so many people hated me on the east coast. Maybe if I need to attend more slams to see what these fine poets are so pissed off about. haha. I dunno.

Hey.....in other news....thank you. Everyone. Sincerely, from the bottom of my rotten heart. The support you've been showing me for this album means quite a bit to the kid. More than I can express right now.

Salute
Post Wed May 28, 2014 11:35 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

GRACE
Post Wed May 28, 2014 11:43 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

The video for Grace will be released in a few days. Very anxious to get that out there.
Post Wed May 28, 2014 11:45 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

haha nice!
Post Wed May 28, 2014 11:47 pm
mancabbage

pressure cooker makes me want to smash my house up, love it
Post Thu May 29, 2014 6:32 am
al(phonic)

i agree, maybe the best sage album all the way around. it sounds amazing, lyrics are nasty, beats are nuts. every.single.song. great feel. very moving stuff- from fist pumping to chest thumping constantly

alias and all the beat makers NAILED IT.

gotta admit i choked up when the verse about mr francis' sick cat came up. sorry, I'm a big hearted cat lover, too (I'm looking at you maisey may!)

can't wait to really dig in today on my road trip!

mr francis; thank you for all you put into this. it was a great effort and it is much appreciated
Post Thu May 29, 2014 9:00 am
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

Jesus. This is so good. I'm excited to delve into it.
Post Thu May 29, 2014 11:17 pm
Captiv8

What are the odds on the phrase "return to form" appearing in Copper Gone album reviews?

I listened to the stream yesterday and this is a stunning, smash-mouth record. It's everything I've loved about Sage Francis albums in one nice and tidy package. Great beats, great lyrics, great album.
Post Fri May 30, 2014 8:30 am
Jesus Frank

Yeah, I know I haven’t been THIS wholly satisfied with a Sage album in ten years. The sequencing is perfect and it's ethereal and banging front to back, it’s clear Sage made this album for his own sanity's sake. “Make ‘Em Purr” keeps getting to me especially, it's a lonely place and like al(phonic) I’m extra sappy on the cat connection, then the transition from that to the show of strength in “Vonnegut Busy”, that’s the whole album in a microcosm to me. Cathartic in how hard-earned it is and delivering so supremely in the end. Such a slick and short and perfect album, got it stuck on repeat.

Also, it keeps tightening itself up. Some recurring themes seem to connect in new ways each listen and I was underwhelmed with “Pressure Cooker” at first but on the fourth or fifth listen it started leveling with the other tracks, it's a great intro.

I’ve been slow on cracking what “Dead Man’s Float” and also “Once Upon A Blood Moon” are about (the former more so than the latter, but still), usually it’d frustrate me but they both sound so good I don’t even worry about it. They make enough sense in context and each listen brings forth a slightly better grasp, but more than anything I find myself zoning in and out of the lyrics just appreciating the beauty of the music.
(Btw, will the lyrics be in the booklet?)

Currently my only criticisms are that I might prefer the daytrotters version of “Thank You”, though it’s a matter of 11/10 over 10/10, and also I dislike the title “MAINT REQD” (not getting it and it doesn’t look right in caps with everything else lower case, at first I thought it was an error message), I would rather you had just called it “Maintenance”. But those are personal things I'm already over.

So yeah, amazing job, Sage. Really amped and proud for you, I hope you got the proper fulfillment out of putting it together and I can't wait to see the songs live.
Post Fri May 30, 2014 12:25 pm
FranktheP

I have given this two listens-one on a cd player and one on an ipod...and I think it has easily the best lyrics on any album since PJ. Obviously more listens are coming but I love the words on this album. And if Sage is being reflective on his age- shit I turn 43 in two days- maybe I get it better than most. Great, great lyrics. I can't say enough about them. I can't wait to digest them more as more listens get listened to...keep up the energy...I want a classic show in Philly on 7/2.
Post Sat May 31, 2014 7:45 pm
Limbs

Man, when those horns come in for the second verse on cheat code. The whole "fine, guess I have to SHOW you how to do this shit" is resonating with me right now.

And that baseline in maint req is just enough to give it a little nonprophets feel. Love all the little call backs. The album flows beautifully.

And maybe I'm so pre-post but I like silly/long/esoteric names for things. I wish I had a job naming things.
Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:45 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Limbs wrote:

And that baseline in maint req is just enough to give it a little nonprophets feel. Love all the little call backs. The album flows beautifully.

i was just about to drop a line in here saying that

sages flow as well
Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:48 am
Limbs

Sage Francis wrote:
The video for Grace will be released in a few days. Very anxious to get that out there.

What's up?
Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:46 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Limbs wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:

What's up?

I think there's something going on called a "tour". Some archaic thing where people get together instead of meeting on the intertubes. From what I can tell from my research, it's similar to a traveling minstrel show. Must take up a lot of spare time.
Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:59 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next