Search
Register
"COPPER GONE" - MP3, CD, VINYL, tapes & errrrr
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Limbs wrote:
Possibly my favorite rap line is "I don't speak in metaphysics, cuz I'm not a metaphysicist..." .

That lyric is a twist on a classic hiphop line, but at the moment I can't even recall what it is. Funny how that works. I think it's in reference to a KRS lyric. Unless I'm just making that up, it'll come to me at some point or someone will call me out on it first.

Here's a new album review that references lines that I think have been overlooked. I like that shit:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.wordplaymagazine.com/2014/07/reviews/sage-francis-copper-gone/

Without the slightest shadow of a doubt, Sage Francis is one of the eldest elder statesmen of Independent Underground U.S Hip Hop. He has also often been noted as a rather gifted spoken-word poet. Having not released a fully produced studio album in four years, this knowledge droppin’ resident of Providence, Rhode Island, has recently released “Copper Gone”, one of the most eagerly anticipated hip hop records of this year.

“What you don’t see is an OG oak tree protecting the forest like nobody else”

Having spent years on the Slam Poetry circuit and proven himself a worthy freestyle emcee in many a Scribble Jam battle, Sage Francis has over the course of 15 or so years independently released four solo albums and six mixtapes as well as “Hope”, the 2003 Non-Prophets hip hop masterpiece on Lex Records. His last album, “Li(f)e”, a release on ANTI-/Epitaph Records, was a noted move away from his usual yet largely experimental hip hop music backings, instead collaborating with a variety of U.S indie rockers including Modest Mouse producer Brian Deck and Califone frontman Tim Rutili. Sage’s lyrics largely focused on showing the pitfalls of contemporary organised religion.

I dare to assume that, as with many artists constantly applying and staying concerned in their craft, a fresh creation is generally the summation of the artist’s previous experiences of life and at work. If this is the case, this album is a wonderful testament to Sage becoming more and more comfortable (or indifferent, depending upon your viewpoint) with the nuances and pitfalls of his own personality, while still holding strong in his societal views. This record markedly displays a furthering of Sage’s rhyme style and the evolution of his choice of production.

“Outshine you, with the torch that was given to me, Torches are not passed to the bastards of the little league” If rap was a game you’d be M.V.P, Most Valuable Puppet in this Industry”

Musically, this album goes in a different direction from the crisp and bouncy boom-bap loops that hip hop lovers all appreciate. With a variety of producers spanning from the highly regarded Dub Sonata to long-term collaborator Buck 65 and U.S underground champion Alias, many of the tracks having a wonderful blend of analogue and digital sounds, many of them culminating in anthems of various descriptions and emotive value. Lyrically, Sage is as strong as he’s ever been, forever telling peeps all that shit they just don’t wanna hear. And big him up for using the old word ‘betwixt’.

On this record there is, as with Sage’s rhymes in the past, a plethora of examples of him getting straight to the point with his lyrics. Notably for me, an unnamed hip hop industry callout “Forefathers of stability in this industry have ridiculously Fallen OFF”, personal openness and world perspective “I’ve been busy self-diagnosing disorders/ First world problems, yeah, USA, number one”, and also observations on the poor treatment of young, impressionable Americans, “Picking the pockets of people who probably needed assistance most/ Selling them lies, selling them out, sending them off to a distant coast”. These viewsall feature large amongst his fine blend of personal and societal standpoints.

“Sometimes I shoot myself in the foot, I put my foot in my mouth, Clean it while it’s there and then I suck the bullet out”

A few of the highlights of this album include the intro track ‘Pressure Cooker’, a rowdy reintroduction into Sage’s vibes that I’m sure that Zac and Rage against the Machine would have been pretty damn proud of. ‘ID Thieves’, with thunderous drum rolls present throughout, is a heated lyrical response to some yet unnamed U.S emcees claiming independent rap status. ‘Cheat Code’ then sees one of Strange Famous Records in house producers, the aptly named Reanimator, lay down a high tempo anger-shaded beat occupied by what sound to be 1980s b-movie samples, a track that Sage gloriously annihilates. ‘Dead Man’s Float’ is a haunting ode to human nature and religious faith while ‘Over Under’ sends you to war from the moment the beat kicks in. ‘Make’em Purr’ is probably the track most lauded over by reviewers for the fact of the emotional poignancy of Sage’s lyrics. I can understand why they have been pouring over this track as this sort and the depth of openness is rarely on show in the super-macho world of male emcees… However, this is surely exactly what avid listeners of Sage have come to expect of him.

“Have you ever listened to Biz Markie’s ‘Just a Friend?”

‘Vonnegut Busy’, the pre album single release and for me the main anthem on the record is an absolute barnstormer of a beat with Sage gracing it in appropriately epic manner, his second verse a scathing reprisal of the U.S economic and social system. ‘Thank You’ sounds like one of the most heartfelt tunes I’ve heard all year, while ‘Say Uncle’ is for me a properly raging Sage anthem. ‘MAINT REQD’, the last tune on the album, comes equipped with a bassline and tempo which pays direct homage to the supreme brag rap track from ‘Hope’, ‘New World Order’.

To round off, Sage has for me always been up amongst the most passionate and stylish of microphone technicians. Well known for dropping damning political, religious and social observations forever entwined with his trademark introspections which at certain times gently convey great humility, and at others times passionately open informed debate. This lyrical style, backed by a production line up that should make most beat connoisseurs dribble, is a music and lyrical experience probably not to be missed. Definitely not a booty shake party music album to get the kids dancing, but an awfully wonderful album it is indeed, both poetic and prophetic. He makes rappers like Grieves seem pre-school. A true education in expression.

“Sometimes it feels like life is too long, but not forever enough, One day you can’t give it away, the next you basically beg for the stuff”

Within the realm of hip hop this Strange Famous emcee consistently and vividly expresses himself amongst the ungodly din of the US rap industry, media, and wider society, always in a most highly admirable fashion. A man who, at the same time as being nasty like Nas was at ‘Halftime’, is as heartfelt like Ghostface on “All that I Need is You”.

Sage Francis remains a rapper at the ready to hit the game right in the spot where it hurts most.

Go Cop Copper Gone. A.S.A.P.

Phil Tang
Post Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:38 am
Flossin

Are you guys planning any remix contests for this album?
Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:19 pm
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

That oak-tree line is criminally passed over.
Post Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:51 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=V8YNLng7Cfg#t=27
Post Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:05 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Flossin wrote:
Are you guys planning any remix contests for this album?

That was something I wanted to do, but I'm not sure which song would make sense. There are songs I know for sure I don't want remixed because of how intimately tied they are to the original music. I don't want horrible versions of these songs floating around the internet forever and, unfortunately, that's been a major bi-product of doing remix contests.

Anyway, the songs I might be down to do a remix for are The Set Up, The Place She Feared Most, Say Uncle, and maybe Over Under.

What do you think?
Post Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:50 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

in that case, which i agree with

dont do any remix "contests"

just release some quality remixes by your brothers and sisters
Post Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:20 pm
Flossin

Yeah, I could see how horrible remixes would be an unwelcome by-product of that...

I was asking about it because I'd be interested in hearing what new things somebody skilled could bring out of some of these songs, though I know the type of remixes that manage doing that are usually few and far between. Neuro's scenario could probably be the best option, though there wouldn't be much of an element of surprise (as in "surprised that somebody unknown flipped it in a great new and unexpected way") that way. Now I'm overthinking it all. Maybe publicly ridicule the bad remixes?

If there was a remix contest though, I think either "Place She Feared Most" or "Over Under" would be the best (and I would be leaning towards the former).
Post Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:51 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

In honor of the impossible amounts of caffeine I ingested during the making of the new album, Strange Famous Records proudly presents:
Copper Gone Coffee Mugs http://tinyurl.com/CopperGoneMugs

Available individually and in sets of 4. They also hold such inferior liquids as tea, hot chocolate and probably some random healthy stuff...
Post Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:51 pm
Limbs

Neuro wrote:
dont do any remix "contests"
Post Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:56 pm
xGasPricesx

Although I'm guessing there wouldn't be nearly enough people looking to buy them to make it worthwhile for you guys, I would love to have a Copper Gone copper mug for Moscow mules and other cocktails. Unfortunately they seem to be pretty pricey even when buying them online, so probably wouldn't make sense for SFR, but if you ever did have them made I would totally buy 1 (or 4).
Post Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:01 pm
FreddyD

CriticalTheory_Breakfast wrote:
That oak-tree line is criminally passed over.

The whole first verse on Over Under is is a goddamned masterpiece. Shit, the whole track. Sage rides that beat like a fucking show pony.

The guys are all, "Do you even lift bro?"
Shit no I don't girls are like, "Eww, he drive a Prius he's savin money he's hoarding cash, who does he think he is what's the point of livin if you can't ball and flash?"
Balderdash!

Haha, I love the hell out that.

What's up with the no lyric book though? Sage is definitely one for clarity, but there are moments throughout I'd love to investigate and have nothing proper to refer to besides what Sage posted here himself or shit people cobble together online, half of which doesn't sound right to me.
Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:26 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I still haven't typed all of the lyrics out properly. I will soon. We've found that it's not really worth the time, energy or expense to put together lyric booklets for CDs. They'll be online. And I'm still interested in putting together a full book of all the lyrics that I think stand up best on page while including a bunch of anecdotes. It's sort of like Rap Genius, but it'll be mine. Because it's my content. Heh. This will all happen at some point.
Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:48 pm
Limbs

Are you talking like an online reference thing or a physical book type thing?

Either way I'd like very much.

Not even full lyric write outs but just hand picked parts or songs with side stories and whatnot. Like a cd booklet for your career. You could call it the sage manual. I like having to figure out the lyrics for myself. But I really like the idea of music commentary like what the beastie boys did. Or books like the wu manual.

Or the sage franual
Post Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:26 pm
Captiv8

I finally picked up the album and it is fantastic. "Pressure Cooker" is the perfect start to an album, and everything flows really nicely from there. I wasn't the biggest fan of Li(f)e, so this was a great sonic treat for me. The beats (especially the drums) are great, and the rhymes have a renewed intensity and even urgency to them that really hits home. I'm going to listen to it again tomorrow (I have an hour commute a couple days a week) and I have a feeling it's going to sink in even more, and new things will reveal themselves, like watching the Big Lebowski a dozen times. Great stuff, Sage.
Post Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:37 am
futuristxen

Feel like the new album has a swagger to it that some of the other more recent records had swapped out for introspection--even as the album as a whole has a kind of rapped through the dial-up blade runner dust to it(there's a lot of familiar beats ghosting in through the backgrounds as well which kind of lends to this feel). I've been digging it, but it's more of like something I remember at other times, and then go back to--it has a sort of grower album sensibility to it.

Make Em Purr, Cheat Code, Once Upon a Blood Moon and Thank You are prolly my fave songs on it so far. But I imagine like 10 years from now it will probably be different.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:17 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next