Search
Register
new atmosphere song!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Ironically, I don't think "You" is about working in a restaurant.
Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:39 am
xGasPricesx

I'm sure it is probably a metaphor for something else, like with a lot of the songs on that album, Your Glass House, The Skinny, etc. But it still works on a surface level, even though it concerns itself more with sexism against women in that kind of environment on the surface. But I take my cathartic songs where I can, the song works for me on that level, so for now that's how I like to enjoy the song.
Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:34 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

I could be wrong, though.
People do seem to think it's a literal song about a waitress without metaphor.

http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107858716620/
Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:16 pm
xGasPricesx

Meh, I don't put much stock in the Song Meanings interpretations, the only time I really use that is if there is some reference to something in a lyric that I don't understand. I guess it could go either way, similar to 'Your Glass House' which is a good song in it's literal meaning of describing a very bad hangover that followed some potentially very poor decision making the night before, but also works as a pretty solid metaphor for living in Bush era America, or even current America post financial collapse. I think 'You' could potentially have some underlying metaphor attached to it as well, but I've always just enjoyed the song enough on it's literal terms that I've never really spent any time thinking about it in any deeper way.

I think it's cool when artists are able to do songs that work on various levels, when executed properly, but I also like having the freedom to enjoy the song on whatever level I please. As long as the listener isn't using a song to support some type of ideological agenda or something that the song itself isn't even close to putting forth, or is actually saying the opposite (e.g. overly patriotic Americans with Springsteen's 'Born in the USA') then they should be able to enjoy that art on whatever level they like.

(Not necessarily suggesting you were saying otherwise here, just once again ranting a little bit to distract myself from other problems)
Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:38 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

we had this discussion here already

Your Glass House is about discovering "the matrix"

...nah

its actually about whateverthefuckyouwantit to be about
Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:15 pm
xGasPricesx

Neuro wrote:

It's entirely possible I am wrong with my interpretation. I thought I remembered reading an interview with Slug where he said the meaning behind it was basically about living in Bush-era America. But I've definitely misremembered this kind of thing before.
Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:36 am
sewer samuel

i saw atmos over the weekend in arizona, they played another new song that was pretty rad. kinda had the same feel as bob segar (slower and cold/dark, dark lyrics from what i could remember). there was a line in it that was something like:

either carpe diem or fade into the dark/everybody is standing around waiting for your stop to start

excited for this release.
Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:38 pm
Prontoid

xGasPricesx wrote:
Neuro wrote:

It's entirely possible I am wrong with my interpretation. I thought I remembered reading an interview with Slug where he said the meaning behind it was basically about living in Bush-era America. But I've definitely misremembered this kind of thing before.

I remember reading that. I really like that song coz I can relate to it, especially In my younger years. If it's about something else it's too tricky and obscure for my liking and loses the basic power the songs literal meaning holds.
Post Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:31 am
xGasPricesx

Prontoid wrote:
xGasPricesx wrote:
Neuro wrote:

I remember reading that. I really like that song coz I can relate to it, especially In my younger years. If it's about something else it's too tricky and obscure for my liking and loses the basic power the songs literal meaning holds.

Well like I said in my other comments about "You", I think people should enjoy songs on whatever level works for them. I personally don't see anything wrong with that, plus that song works great on the literal level too. The only reason I brought up that other meaning is cause I thought I remember seeing it in an interview with Slug or on one of Atmospheres tweets awhile back that they did about the metaphors behind some of their songs, I could be wrong, but that meaning would also make sense to me. I like it both ways, depending on my mood at the time. (No pun intended)
Post Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:44 am
sewer samuel

sage,

i noticed on twitter that slug said he sent you a copy of the new album. i'm curious to hear your thoughts on it.
Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:14 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

xGasPricesx wrote:
Prontoid wrote:
xGasPricesx wrote:
Neuro wrote:

Well like I said in my other comments about "You", I think people should enjoy songs on whatever level works for them. I personally don't see anything wrong with that, plus that song works great on the literal level too. The only reason I brought up that other meaning is cause I thought I remember seeing it in an interview with Slug or on one of Atmospheres tweets awhile back that they did about the metaphors behind some of their songs, I could be wrong, but that meaning would also make sense to me. I like it both ways, depending on my mood at the time. (No pun intended)

im also surprised no one has tried to apply the actual phrase "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" -A phrase one can say meaning people should not criticize others for faults that they have themselves
Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:27 am
sewer samuel

https://soundcloud.com/rhymesayers/atmosphere-kanye-west

this is a banger!
Post Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:33 am
anomaly
Loserface

That, I can get jiggy to. Well done
Post Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:47 pm
xGasPricesx

anomaly wrote:

Yes. This is the track I was waiting for.
Post Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:25 pm
Captiv8

xGasPricesx wrote:
anomaly wrote:

Yes. This is the track I was waiting for.

YAAAAS! Pure fire. My interest is highly piqued after hearing this joint.
Post Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:10 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next