Search
Register
Best ways to protect personal information online?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

xGasPricesx

Best ways to protect personal information online?  Reply with quote  

So given the recent flooding of stolen celebrity nude pictures, increasing rates of identity theft, etc. What do some tech savvy people around here recommend as some basic (and maybe more advanced) steps to helping people protect their personal data? (Looking at you, Mark in Minnesota)
Post Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:41 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Not that I know anything about this stuff, and I am certainly not endorsing the people or service behind this link (as I know fuck all about it,) but a couple hours someone sent me a tweet about a company that might have something to do with what you're asking about: http://maidsafe.net/overview

At the risk of going overboard with caveats, I do not know shit about shit. And maybt that shit has nothing to do with the shit you're asking about. But I thought there might be a connection.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:47 am
DeadAwake

I have recently started using the search engine Ixquick and its brother site Startpage, which has results enhanced by google (Ixquick results are rather slim). They don't record IP addresses anymore and don't share "personal information with other search engines or with the provider of its sponsored results".

Referenced from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixquick

Just an extra measure you can take.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:13 am
Mark in Minnesota

Some practices I follow:
1. Use two-factor authentication on accounts (such as Google) which support it.

2. Periodically change your most important passwords, if not all of them.

3. Don't use the same password everywhere.

4. Where possible, register every account under a different email address. Many email providers (such as Google) allow you to use a plus sign and additional differentiating text, for example at the Strange Famous Forum you could set up username+sff@gmail.com as your email address. This doesn't help prevent spam because spammers are smart enough to remove the delimiter and additional text to avoid filtering, but it does help you if the website using that account gets hacked. Your email address is your login ID in many places, this way even if they get your password on one site they don't know what username to try somewhere else.

5. Where this isn't possible (a lot of websites stupidly think a plus sign isn't a legal character in email addresses), at least separate the email address you use for direct correspondence, put in your social media profiles, etc. from the email address you use for account credentials. A lot of the way you become a target for attacks is when your email address is disclosed when somebody else's address book, Facebook page, etc. gets hacked.

The idea here: Assume some of the websites where you have an account will be hacked. Assume that the personally identifiable information about you that hackers have extracted from that website will be used in attempts to break into other accounts you have. Recognize that a password shouldn't be the only secret a hacker has to know to break into your additional accounts.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:18 am
Plum Puddin'

..YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT TECHNOLOGY ALLOWS..
Post Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Jump to: