Search
Register
Providence Phoenix cover story: "Hell and Back"
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Providence Phoenix cover story: "Hell and Back"  Reply with quote  

It's been a long time since I got any significant coverage from local media. Big thanks to Chris Conti for getting me the cover story:

http://providence.thephoenix.com/music/158805-to-hell-and-back/

--------------------------------------------------------

I also want to share something I expressed on my Facebook page in regard to the title and slant of this article:

It feels a bit heavy handed to call what I've gone through "to hell and back," especially when my situation (or how I dealt with it) was largely self-inflicted. In my head. And it's not something people could help me with. I choose how I live. There many people going through much worse in their daily lives without any say in the matter. That's not to diminish the serious nature of things like depression, but I have gone through worse and I expect to go through worse. That's life. The driving force behind Copper Gone was not to shame people for not helping me when I apparently needed assistance of some sort. For instance, I'd hate for my loved ones to read this article and be made to feel like they should have helped me in some way. That just wasn't an option. I worked through it the way I know to work through it, I'm in a much better place, and life continues to be as confusing as it is interesting. I can't say I'm officially out of the dark part of the woods yet, but I am definitely glad to be climbing trees again.
Putting focus back into my music and myself is just what the Doctor ordered.
I'm good. And I'm in great company.
Thank you
Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:39 pm
xGasPricesx

Your little addendum there really hit me. My life hasn't been nearly as great as it could be the past couple years, and that is almost entirely self-inflicted (even though my brain actively works against me sometimes), and even the stuff that was out of my control were still situations that I chose to put myself in in the first place. I've been working really hard to turn that all around recently, and I've had a few friends express regret that "they weren't there for me", which is a sentiment I don't really share. It made me kind of feel like a parasite, all these people who have been really good friends for many years and have done a lot for me feeling guilty about getting their own lives together and making moves. I don't want to be that guy that holds people back or makes them feel guilty for devoting their time and attention to themselves instead of helping me, especially when I wouldn't let them help anyways. It's a weird feeling and I found it hard to properly express, and I'm still not sure I have properly expressed it to them.

I'm also at the age where things really start to change with all your old friends (just a couple years out of college). A lot of them are starting to do really great things with their life, and if they had to constantly drop everything just to try to get my head out of the gutter, they wouldn't be as far along as they are. I guess it's just a lesson I need to keep learning, that my actions affect people in ways I could never have imagined or anticipated, and it's something I need to constantly remind myself of while I continue through life.

Alright, that's the end of my little narcissistic rant, this post just came around right at the time that these things have been weighing on my mind. Glad to see you getting some real love and press though. Copper Gone is a hell of an album and the show you guys did in my hometown the other week was nothing short of incredible.
Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:57 pm
DeadAwake

I do think that 'depression' serves a very definite purpose and is one of the best means for personal growth that a person can have. What people call depression to me is the product of an intense and lasting dissatisfaction that is an honest dissatisfaction one that isn't swept away so easily or a concentration of many dissatisfactions. Though people can make a habit of it, become comfortable in it in a certain way and stop trying to actively work on it or with it.

Its a shame that such a stigma is attached to depression and i think part of that comes from the attitude that one must be satisfied always or trying too much to escape and avoid dissatisfaction, particulary in westen countries i assume. In some ways this stigma is beneficial, for instance indicating a high pressure state which can manifest itself destructively, showing that it shouldnt be taken lightly and paid attention. On the other hand it can exacerbate it by triggering panic in someone experiencing depression, vandalizing their clarity so they see themselves as dysfunctional. The shame in it is that it is seen as something that should be killed out of necessity, that it is an illness. It can be an illness or a remedy.

Its also apparent that many people are dissatisfied but find ways of deceiving themselves, drawing their attention away from it. Which is fine, sometimes a break is needed and is much preferable to calamity. Though drawing your attention away from it for long enough for it to become buried, mistaking the mask for your face, is also a danger.

Excuse the tangent. But likewise, it struck a chord.
Post Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:22 am

Jump to: