Search
Register
NFL and College Football 2013-2014
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Captiv8

Apparently the Texans have fired Gary Kubiak. I can't say I blame them, as the Texans have been on one of the worst downward spirals I've ever seen (excepting the season of the winless Lions). I can't really wrap my head around why they've been so terrible this year. You know shit is bad when you're bested by Jacksonville.
Post Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:35 am
Captiv8

My goodness. I am still a little in awe of the performance of Michigan State last night. I wanted them to win, of course, but also recognized them as serious offensive underdogs. I knew they would have to play damn near perfect to beat OSU, and they pretty much did. Braxton Miller played pretty well for most of the game, but not in the fourth quarter. I was really impressed with State's ability to contain him then. And Connor Cook's was incredible. Jeremy Langford is a legit running back as well, and I think he might have an NFL career ahead of him if he can play at this level next season. On to the Rose Bowl for the first time in 25 years! I think Stanford is a slightly easier opponent than OSU, but it should be a good game regardless. Bring it home, fellas.
Post Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:42 am
Juan
girls don juan anything to do with me

Ugh that game pissed me off. How are we going to have the top running back in the nation and not give it to him on 4th and 1? Hyde could carry 3-4 Spartans on his back for 3-4 yards.

Was a great game to watch though, terrible 4th quarter for OSU fans. I knew MSU would be tough and motivated. Our defense sucks though. And Braxton can't throw. And when he did make a good throw we either dropped it, or MSU did a great great job of sticking their hands in there at the last second and breaking up the pass.

I don't think we were the 2nd best team by any means, but I'll take a national title game any year. Will prob be another Fiesta Bowl now.
Post Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:03 pm
Captiv8

Juan wrote:
Ugh that game pissed me off. How are we going to have the top running back in the nation and not give it to him on 4th and 1? Hyde could carry 3-4 Spartans on his back for 3-4 yards.

Was a great game to watch though, terrible 4th quarter for OSU fans. I knew MSU would be tough and motivated. Our defense sucks though. And Braxton can't throw. And when he did make a good throw we either dropped it, or MSU did a great great job of sticking their hands in there at the last second and breaking up the pass.

I don't think we were the 2nd best team by any means, but I'll take a national title game any year. Will prob be another Fiesta Bowl now.

I think OSU is getting the Sugar Bowl, which isn't too shabby. Obviously the championship game is preferred. Both will likely be shootouts.

And OSU does have some great defensive players that will make NFL teams very happy: Shazier and Roby are probably the best guys on that side of the ball. The DT's and DE's did a good job of clogging up the run for most of the game, though they struggled putting pressure on Connor Cook, which was part of the reason he was so successful. The other is that he simply played out of his damn mind, at his statistical best.

On a final note, I think the win was a really solid testament to MSU's defense. This is two years running they've held all opponents to 28 points or less. Against Ohio State that was one hell of a feat. But ya, Hyde should have had the ball more. He reminds me of a faster and slightly smaller Ron Dayne.
Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:58 am
Captiv8

MSU Spartans are Rose Bowl champions. That is all.
Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:08 am
Limbs

Who do we want for Leo's next coach? I'm crossing my fingers for Lovie. Proven winner. Got an axe to grind with Chicago. Knows the division. Should learn from his offensive mistakes in the past and hire good offensive coaches to put around Stafford. I hate the Whisenhunt talk. Hate it. He's more mediocrity. Even his success came off mediocrity and Warner-Fitzgerald got hot. I'll take him as an OC but that's it.

I don't know why I think it matters.

Even though I'm really mad at him I still like Schwartz. He'll probably find success somewhere else. He did everything he could here. Which, as frustrating as these 5 years have been, has been a pretty remarkable turnaround.

I thought Mayhew has had two really nice offseasons. Let's see if he can find the right guy to take the next step. This team is ready to win now.
Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:17 am
Captiv8

Limbs wrote:
Who do we want for Leo's next coach? I'm crossing my fingers for Lovie. Proven winner. Got an axe to grind with Chicago. Knows the division. Should learn from his offensive mistakes in the past and hire good offensive coaches to put around Stafford. I hate the Whisenhunt talk. Hate it. He's more mediocrity. Even his success came off mediocrity and Warner-Fitzgerald got hot. I'll take him as an OC but that's it.

I don't know why I think it matters.

Even though I'm really mad at him I still like Schwartz. He'll probably find success somewhere else. He did everything he could here. Which, as frustrating as these 5 years have been, has been a pretty remarkable turnaround.

I thought Mayhew has had two really nice offseasons. Let's see if he can find the right guy to take the next step. This team is ready to win now.

Well Lovie Smith has agreed to be the Bucs new coach, so that's out. I don't really know who's in the running, but I'd like to see an offensive coordinator get the job.

Are you kidding about Schwartz? He did not do everything he could for the team. He did nothing to develop Stafford, for starters. He made some terrible play calls this season alone. It seemed like when the Lions won is was by accident, not design. It was time for Schwartz to go, as he clearly could not work with players the way that was necessary. I agree that he will find success elsewhere though, some place where the pieces are already mostly in place. Mayhew has drafted and signed well recently too.

As far as I'm concerned, the Lions really need to draft another great OT and a fantastic CB (like Dennard from MSU). It is time for Delmas to either get a serious refresher on how to defend and tackle, or to go. That man leads with his helmet all the time, and rarely plays the ball. He constantly goes for the big hit instead of actually stopping the pass, and it's infuriating. Offensively, there's no reason the Lions shouldn't dominate. Johnson is hands down top three receivers in the game, and the tandem of Bush and Bell worked really well all season. I also like Pettigrew and Fauria for tight-ends. Burleson is a solid compliment to Johnson, and Durham could be a lot better with more training. We have some of the tallest receivers in the league.

I also think Stafford needs to take some personal responsibility and go to a QB-skills camp in the offseason. He might already do this, but if he has it hasn't shown. Detroit fans are about ready to give up on him, and I think it would mean a lot if he was proactive about upping his game.
Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:42 am
Limbs

Yeah just saw that about Lovie. And yeah Schwartz did everything he could. He couldn't do more for stafford. As in Schwartz lacked the capabilities to do more for stafford.

Let's stop and think about what it was like in 2008. I was praying to not be blown out of games by the half. Seriously. By. The. HALF. Every. Fucking. Game. And pre-08 wasn't much better. Schwartz did as good of a job as anyone could have making this team competetive. I'm not talking about specific judgment calls. I'm talking about taking a joke, A JOKE, and making them favorites to win more games than not. Mayhew deserves a lot of credit too. But Schwartz got these guys to play.

Sometimes I wonder what you're watching, Cap. And if you just roll dice to see what words to throw into your posts. OT? As in offensive tackle? Like what? Reiff and Waddle both played very well this year. Fox and Hilliard showed good depth. If any Olinemen are taken it's gotta be a center. Obviously. CB sure. But really we need a WR who can play opposite Calvin and a TE that Pettigrew was supposed to be. I don't know what I want them to do about him. OLB wouldn't hurt either.
Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:37 pm
Limbs

Pettigrew doesn't have the confidence to be a number one. Fauria is still an undrafted and shouldn't be seen as the starter going into camp. Still has a lot to prove. Burleson has lost more than a step and shouldn't be brought back. He was mostly there for locker room presence anyway. Raiola played his best year of football ever. And might be able to do it again. But I hope they prepare for the worst there. The defense played better than expected. Delmas just needs to stay healthy. He's a solid starting safety when healthy. You saw his get a really bad call and make a really bad play and you think he's a problem. Dude made our awful corners look respectable most of the year. And turned the run defense into one of the top in the league.
Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:49 pm
Limbs

Along with Quin
Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm
Captiv8

Limbs wrote:
Yeah just saw that about Lovie. And yeah Schwartz did everything he could. He couldn't do more for stafford. As in Schwartz lacked the capabilities to do more for stafford.

Let's stop and think about what it was like in 2008. I was praying to not be blown out of games by the half. Seriously. By. The. HALF. Every. Fucking. Game. And pre-08 wasn't much better. Schwartz did as good of a job as anyone could have making this team competetive. I'm not talking about specific judgment calls. I'm talking about taking a joke, A JOKE, and making them favorites to win more games than not. Mayhew deserves a lot of credit too. But Schwartz got these guys to play.

Sometimes I wonder what you're watching, Cap. And if you just roll dice to see what words to throw into your posts. OT? As in offensive tackle? Like what? Reiff and Waddle both played very well this year. Fox and Hilliard showed good depth. If any Olinemen are taken it's gotta be a center. Obviously. CB sure. But really we need a WR who can play opposite Calvin and a TE that Pettigrew was supposed to be. I don't know what I want them to do about him. OLB wouldn't hurt either.

Again, I disagree that Schwartz did everything he could to help Stafford. He refused to get a quarterback coach for Stafford during his tenure, and relied more on "natural" talent and playcalling even when it was clear they weren't working. And sure, Schwartz did improve the Lions, but he could really only move up from the 0-16 debacle year. That's like saying he made a car that doesn't run better because he put new tires on it. You can only push it so far, which was the Lions high point at 10-6.

The Lions consistently lost games in the fourth quarter this season, and I put that on coaching and poor player decisions. Schwartz isn't entirely to blame, of course, but that doesn't change the fact that the Lions need to find a way to close out games. Schwartz had his chances, and I think it's time to try out someone new.

Not sure what you mean by me throwing out terms. I think it's clear OT means offensive tackle. I should have been more specific though, as I really meant a center. Raiola is great, but he's been in the league 13 years and doesn't have much left in the tank. I'd like to get an understudy in there who can learn from him and then be just as dominant. I also think Ashlee Palmer needs to be replaced as an LB. Levy and Tulloch are fine. As far as Delmas, I'm basing what I said on routinely seeing him lead with his head and shoulder instead of trying to make a play on the ball. He positions himself well, but doesn't wrap up tackles and doesn't attempt to knock the ball away. It's probably too early to give up on him, but he was the impetus for many outburts of mine while watching the Lions on the defensive side.

I wouldn't mind a nice TE draft. Austin Sefarian-Jenkins from Washington comes to mind, as he's looks like everything Pettigrew was supposed to be. I also think that if Fauria hits the gym hard he can be far more effective. But you don't give up on a guy of that size after one season. With a little effort he can be fantastic. Dennard remains the top CB option entering the NFL draft, so I would pull hard for him if I'm Mayhew. If not him then Roby from OSU. If the Lions are inclined to take a WR, I'd go with Mike Evans, Allen Robinson, or Kelvin Benjamin. It's gotta be somebody with size and speed to really work as the compliment to Johnson. Burleson is fine when he's healthy. Not great, but passable.

At any rate, it's the defense that needs help first. Admittedly I'm not familiar with a lot of the names projected in the draft, but I've been really impressed with Kevin Shazier, again out of OSU. Dude has the size and speed to make some big plays and help contain the run.
Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:43 pm
sewer samuel

stoked for the playoffs. every game this weekend should be great.
Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:08 pm
sewer samuel

just heard a pretty funny fact: every team that lost to the jags this year fired their coach.
Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:27 pm
Captiv8

Really astonished at the Chiefs' loss. A four touchdown lead has only been overcome once before, so I figured the game was in hand. And Luck wasn't even that good, throwing three picks in the game. I know that KC suffered defensive injuries and lost Charles, but c'mon. That was simply an inexcusable meltdown. Looks like Andy Reid is up to his old tricks again.
Post Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:35 pm
sewer samuel

i think san diego might be the team to upset this week. nothing is expected of them, theyre playing with house money. they look loose and to be having fun.
Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:40 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next