Search
Register
Hitchhikering Across America
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

corporateslave

I think the dangers of hitching are totally overblown. I've both hitched and picked people up before, and a vast majority of the time the person hitching is just a person trying to get somewhere, and the person picking them up is just a regular person who is able to push all the paranoid bullshit perpetuated through pop culture to the back of their head and give the person a ride somewhere. Your chances of encountering a psychopath or a pervert are no higher than anywhere else, but you're not afraid to go out in public on the average day, right? Sure, someone could take you somewhere you don't want to go and that could lead toward a bad situation, but you also don't have to accept the ride just because someone stops. If they creep you out just keep walking.

People act like hitching was cool back in the 1930s but now it's too dangerous, but does that really make sense. There were plenty of sickos back then too, plus if you got into a car with someone there would literally be no trace of where you went unless someone saw you get into the car. There were no gps systems in cars then, no cell phones, very few pay phones, no cop cars with computers that could automatically collect information from a license plate, and no cameras monitoring public places 24 hours a day. The chances of a driver randomly killing a hitcher and getting away with it were probably close to 100%. I would argue that hitching is actually much safer today contrary to the romanticism perpetuated by On the Road.
Post Fri May 17, 2013 8:24 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

jakethesnake wrote:
Hike a long distance trail.

Start at Ktaadn if you're going this late in the season.
Post Fri May 17, 2013 12:20 pm
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

Part of the reason I want to do this is the people, so I didn't want to go the wilderness route.
Post Fri May 17, 2013 1:10 pm
Jared Paul

I don't have much insight to offer. Though I have read this whole thread. Trust your instincts, I'd say. Have safety money to get home if you end up not feeling it. Does getting away from technology mean no cell phone at all?
Post Fri May 17, 2013 3:01 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

watch craigslist joe on netflix for some insight on kind of what you will go through
Post Fri May 17, 2013 3:37 pm
AdamBomb

Something rubs me the wrong way about mooching your way across the country, especially when you did it by choice. I'm sure a lot of people would help you out with a ride, seeing as you were hard on your luck. But you chose to be hard on your luck, for some spiritual development?

Maybe you should save up and get a motorcycle and do your thing that way. But you also have a kid, too?

This is why people train for marathons, hike long trails, take up an instrument, etc. The journey of accomplishing a new challenge gives you new perspective, confidence and outlook on life. I would think a lot more reassurance would come from accomplishing something yourself, than freeloading around the country for two months. What is actually accomplished, here?
Post Fri May 17, 2013 3:55 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

What about a bicycle?

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes-and-maps/adventure-cycling-route-network/transamerica-trail/
Post Fri May 17, 2013 5:36 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Hellen Earth wrote:
Part of the reason I want to do this is the people, so I didn't want to go the wilderness route.

The Appalachian trail is called the "social" trail. You'd spend every night camping out with 5-10 other people in shelters and lean-tos. The only real "wilderness" is in Maine itself.
Post Fri May 17, 2013 11:06 pm
CaptainFantasy

corporateslave wrote:
Your chances of encountering a psychopath or a pervert are no higher than anywhere else, but you're not afraid to go out in public on the average day, right?

I don't agree with this. Sure there are crazy people everywhere, but saying you're just as likely to run into a psychopath anywhere else is not true. With no facts or statistics to back me up I'm pretty sure the number or crazy people isn't the same everywhere you go. Hitchhikers/people picking up hitchhikers vs. a mental institution vs. Bed Bath & Beyond vs. a homeless camp are all likely to have very different numbers of crazy people on average.
Post Sun May 19, 2013 9:59 am
Jack

CaptainFantasy wrote:
corporateslave wrote:
Your chances of encountering a psychopath or a pervert are no higher than anywhere else, but you're not afraid to go out in public on the average day, right?

I don't agree with this. Sure there are crazy people everywhere, but saying you're just as likely to run into a psychopath anywhere else is not true. With no facts or statistics to back me up I'm pretty sure the number or crazy people isn't the same everywhere you go. Hitchhikers/people picking up hitchhikers vs. a mental institution vs. Bed Bath & Beyond vs. a homeless camp are all likely to have very different numbers of crazy people on average.

The level of psychopaths with no empathy at bed bath and beyond is unreal
Post Sun May 19, 2013 10:05 am
corporateslave

Jack wrote:
CaptainFantasy wrote:
corporateslave wrote:

The level of psychopaths with no empathy at bed bath and beyond is unreal

All that depends on how you define the 'psychopath or pervert' population. In this case we're considering people that would actively pose a threat to a hitchhiker's life or personal safety. The type of people who rape and murder for no reason. There aren't many people like that in society at all, and you could probably encounter them at a bed bath and beyond without even knowing it.

I would wager that either a homeless camp or a mental institution are actually quite safe places to be. For the most part people in these places pose no real danger of this type to others, and the percentage that do probably occur at rates comparable to those found in the general population, which is very, very low.
Post Sun May 19, 2013 9:37 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2