Search
Register
"WORKING MAN" LP - Prolyphic & Buddy Peace
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

SFR announcement

"WORKING MAN" LP - Prolyphic & Buddy Peace  Reply with quote  

Prolyphic & Buddy Peace "WORKING MAN" is available in stores now!

CD package deals and the digital version is available at tinyurl.com/WorkingManLP

"DRUG DEALER" is the first video off of the album:

"Business As Usual" is the first single:
www.soundcloud.com/strangefamousrecords/business-as-usual

"Twelve Percenters" is a free bonus cut!

"UNPOPULAR DEMAND"

PROLYPHIC (Providence, RI) was signed to SFR in 2005 when Sage Francis partnered up the introspective lyricist with his long-time production partner, Reanimator. The subsequent album, THE UGLY TRUTH, received critical acclaim even though it didn't quite match the success of the auto-tuned raps it sat beside on the charts that year. That was 2008, and by today's standards that's practically a lifetime ago. 5 years later the snarling, pessimist emcee has emerged once again, this time with eclectic DJ/Producer extraordinaire BUDDY PEACE (London, England,) to answer the question: "Where has Prolyphic been?" The content of this new album makes it abundantly clear; "in the same hell as you."

WORKING MAN takes the all-too-familiar tales of family turmoil, cancer scares, lack of health care, unemployment woes and then forges them into blue collar anthems. Buddy Peace's obscure loops and dusty breaks give the musical backdrop a quintessential "golden age" throwback sound, while Prolyphic uses grim life experience as the launching pad for an exploration of realities that are bigger than one man's experience. This is a collective experience and it comes across as such. We all know someone with cancer. We all feel the pinch of the bad economy. Now it becomes a matter of what to do with that frustration and how to address the bigger picture.

Prolyphic uses the personal approach and goes for the throat like never before. On songs like "DRUG DEALER" we hear about doctors pushing pharmaceutical products on his mother to treat her cancer, and why her ultimate decision was to refuse them. "SIX FEET HIGH" tells the story of his father losing the family business in the floods that overran New England a few years back. With his unique honesty in full view,  Prolyphic courageously tells the story of what it meant to rebuild everything from scratch without help from the Government, and why experiences like this have working class New Englanders "losing faith in the Democrats."

It's not all doom and gloom though. The first single, "BUSINESS AS USUAL," has Prolyphic double-timing his vocals while weaving lyrics around a catchy, Buddy Peace bounce pattern. "DEATH OF THE BOOMBOX" is a playful posse cut that features SFR label mates Sage Francis and Metermaids. Songs like "FUCK BANKS" use clever metaphors which help to illuminate the reasons why everyone is so disgruntled over their paychecks being "held for ransom." If the new generation of hip-hop fans are no longer interested in deriving meaning from their music, the intricate beat layering and masterful wordplay used throughout makes it more than worth the journey for them. However, in a musical climate where so much airtime is wasted on throwaway bars and the latest dance crazes, it's refreshing to see a duo like this making brave, honest music.
-------------------------------------------------------

CD package deals and the digital download is available at: tinyurl.com/WorkingManLP

Last edited by SFR announcement on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:50 pm; edited 11 times in total
Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:26 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

track

production

lyrics

album art

all quality

seems like a lot went into this project, a lot of real life went into it

i'll listen and support
Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:10 pm
Nemonic7

Pre-ordered package #2.
Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:01 pm
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

SO GOOD!
Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:37 pm
adic

Been looking forward to this album release since I heard about it. Wasn't feeling the production on the new track at first, but it's starting to grow on me. I'll def be copping it when it's released.
Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:46 pm
mancabbage

you guys going to have mp3 orders up on the cd release date?
Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:11 pm
SFR announcement

Absolutely. And digital pre-sales will be up on all digital stores before the album drops.
Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:20 pm
mattrego

Saw Prolyphic perform some of these songs live a little while back and i cannot wait for the release.
Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:16 pm
Jared Paul

LET'S GO!
Post Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:26 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
remind

adic wrote:
Been looking forward to this album release since I heard about it. Wasn't feeling the production on the new track at first, but it's starting to grow on me. I'll def be copping it when it's released.

1 Retweet.
Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:57 pm
mancabbage

SFR announcement wrote:
Absolutely. And digital pre-sales will be up on all digital stores before the album drops.

nice. i'll grab it from you guys though, no need to give more cash to the iTunes cock nose
Post Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:25 am
Flawed Logic

Location: Austin, TX - Albuquerque, NM - Kalamazoo, MI - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

I'm really looking forward to hearing this album at the Boulder CO show.
Post Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:07 pm
Buddy Peace

I'm so excited for this to drop. It's been a lot of years and a good few back and forths but to have the release almost here is fucking great. Grand work on the pre-orders and for the support, fam! You're the best.

Strange Famous grind hawwwd.
Post Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:12 am
Captiv8

Man... As a fan of Prolyphic and Buddy Peace, I really want to like this but I can't get behind this track. It feels more like a DJ session than a beat, which is perhaps the point. Anyway, I'll give the full album a chance when it drops out of loyalty.
Post Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:18 pm
Marcus Forealius

Definitely going to be picking this up, and not just because I've been continually impressed with the evolution of Prolyphic's work.

But also because last night I had a dream that I was approached by Sage, B.Dolan, and Prolyphic to do some final mastery on this and to give my blessing. In my head I was like "I lack that expertise, but I accept, Prolyphic". I also observed that they're all apparently very close talkers.

Any word on this coming out in vinyl?
Post Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next